Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8 same price as Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious about the BMW i8, because I am seeing a ton of used ones on Craigslist for a very reasonable price of like $60-80k. Well, my parents bought my Model 3 and just bought it cash like no big deal. But they never considered buying used, even slightly used, to get the best deal possible. I'm not complaining, I like the Model 3, but it just irks me there is a BMW i8 for the same price as my Model 3. And I am sure this BMW i8 will get more head turns than any Model 3, since they're like everywhere now. And this BMW i8 def has that dream car exotic look, and you can probably go around telling everyone you're some millionaire hot shot with a popular YouTube channel.

It's old though, like 4 years old, not super old, but def not new. But since it's electric, would it mean it should be more reliable than say a used Range Rover or a Lamborghini? Because for the asking price of a Model 3, I could just get myself a used BMW i8 and look like a baller for only $60-70k.

Are there any hidden problems if someone went with their $60k budget to buy a used i8 over a new Model 3? Plus how is the range on the BMW i8? I set my standards for Tesla so I have no idea if BMW is on par with it. There are probably tons of things I will have to forgo, like autopilot. But right now, this is probably going to be more affordable than the Tesla Roadster, especially used.

Also I have driven the BMW i8 on a test drive. And rented a Huracan. And when it comes to exotic looking cars, the BMW i8 is the most comfortable exotic looking car to drive. The Huracan is a beast, while cool, but it's not comfortable, about the same comfort as being stuck inside a commercial airplane with it's loud engine.

2015 BMW i8

Last edited:
Beautiful car. Groundbreaking. Yeah, the off-lease prices got my attention.

Two reasons I would not buy:

Exhaust vents into rear compartment. Storage space is in that compartment.

No Summon. You park in a wide open spot, cars park too close on both sides, and you can’t get in because of the wing doors.

This will get you more head turns

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 6.49.52 AM.png

Do you know what BMW stands for? Break My Wallet! God help the people who own an i8 out of warranty. I strongly recommend you do your due diligence on BMW's reliability before spending the cash. It won't take long before you are upside down if something big breaks out of warranty on that turd -- yes I have owned a few BMW's in the past and will never own another one again. Their cars are complete garbage.

There is a reason that you can get a $150k, 2.5 year old BMW i8 for $50k. They have serious mechanical issues, get terrible gas mileage even with the small battery, are uncomfortable, cheaply made, TWO usable SEATS and not that quick for the price. Yes they have the doors that go up and a nice design that's pretty cool. With all that said, when they hit $40k I will start thinking of getting one as a second toy.

The Huracan is not in the same class. The Lambo is a solid built Audi with a great body but that comes with a $275k price. If you think Tesla has service issues, get one of these and you will find out what issues are.

Not sure if this was a serious post or made to get laughs, definitely made me laugh. Comes off as a spoiled snobby OC kid whose still in high school. Parents bought you a safe yet we'll driving and technologically advanced car, you have no business to complain. Wanting to appear like a "baller" and showing off your possessions and acting like your a self made millionaire when in fact you didn't do anything and your parents are the ones who actually did it all is a good start to get hated on! Good your parents didn't buy you a 2 door i8 death trap, they might actually not want to see you get hurt. The i8 looks cool but that's it, it's slow, uncomfortable, has poor reliability, it's not pure electric. Focus on school and get yourself what you want in the future and be proud you earned it yourself but till then enjoy the gift your parents gave you.

Last edited:
Sounds like OP wants a car that looks cool. If that’s all you care about then the i8 is for you.

The problems with it are not hidden. They are well known. Also, it’s not an electric car, it’s a hybrid. If you have Tesla standards for performance you will be disappointed.

I’m sure the BMW service center experience will be better though. Which is good because you’ll be there frequently.