Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8 same price as Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious about the BMW i8, because I am seeing a ton of used ones on Craigslist for a very reasonable price of like $60-80k. Well, my parents bought my Model 3 and just bought it cash like no big deal. But they never considered buying used, even slightly used, to get the best deal possible. I'm not complaining, I like the Model 3, but it just irks me there is a BMW i8 for the same price as my Model 3. And I am sure this BMW i8 will get more head turns than any Model 3, since they're like everywhere now. And this BMW i8 def has that dream car exotic look, and you can probably go around telling everyone you're some millionaire hot shot with a popular YouTube channel.

It's old though, like 4 years old, not super old, but def not new. But since it's electric, would it mean it should be more reliable than say a used Range Rover or a Lamborghini? Because for the asking price of a Model 3, I could just get myself a used BMW i8 and look like a baller for only $60-70k.

Are there any hidden problems if someone went with their $60k budget to buy a used i8 over a new Model 3? Plus how is the range on the BMW i8? I set my standards for Tesla so I have no idea if BMW is on par with it. There are probably tons of things I will have to forgo, like autopilot. But right now, this is probably going to be more affordable than the Tesla Roadster, especially used.

Also I have driven the BMW i8 on a test drive. And rented a Huracan. And when it comes to exotic looking cars, the BMW i8 is the most comfortable exotic looking car to drive. The Huracan is a beast, while cool, but it's not comfortable, about the same comfort as being stuck inside a commercial airplane with it's loud engine.

2015 BMW i8
This color flip wrap was made for you, you will not see many of these on the road and it will be easier to find in a crowded parking lot, haha

@JetFalcon - the i8 was made for you, and you were made for the i8.

Trade your Model 3 immediately, I bet you can swap it with an i8 owner.

Your Model 3 experience is going to get worse my friend. Even your 60K Model 3 is going to look no different than the 35K Model 3.

It gets worse and worse. You can't even tell the lowest end Model 3 buyer because they all have glass roofs and premium interiors.

Think about all those broke asses that not only have a 35K Model 3 but they might even have financed them.

You are way too good for those Model 3 plebeians. I'm your boy - I'll check your haters STAT.

You trying to turn heads or buy water from Costco?

Who cares about summon. This is what valet is for. You don't have a dollar to tip?

I'm warning @JetFalcon against people like you. Jealous haters. You can't appreciate class.

Not @JetFalcon 's problem. If your parents were more successful, they wouldn't have to deal with whining from you.

Laugh at what? What you call spoiled, is parents providing.

Sorry you weren't provided for, and you can't provide yourself.

i8 is plenty safe. AND it turn heads.

Of course the kid can complain. His parents will buy the right thing in the future. How else will they know unless he asserts his desires?

For every hater like yourself, there are admirers. Who cares what you think since you aren't viewing his Youtube and Instagram anyway?

Sounds like we have another one who's parents didn't love them enough :( So Sad.

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing and hcdavis3
I am curious about the BMW i8, because I am seeing a ton of used ones on Craigslist for a very reasonable price of like $60-80k. Well, my parents bought my Model 3 and just bought it cash like no big deal. But they never considered buying used, even slightly used, to get the best deal possible. I'm not complaining, I like the Model 3, but it just irks me there is a BMW i8 for the same price as my Model 3. And I am sure this BMW i8 will get more head turns than any Model 3, since they're like everywhere now. And this BMW i8 def has that dream car exotic look, and you can probably go around telling everyone you're some millionaire hot shot with a popular YouTube channel.

It's old though, like 4 years old, not super old, but def not new. But since it's electric, would it mean it should be more reliable than say a used Range Rover or a Lamborghini? Because for the asking price of a Model 3, I could just get myself a used BMW i8 and look like a baller for only $60-70k.

Are there any hidden problems if someone went with their $60k budget to buy a used i8 over a new Model 3? Plus how is the range on the BMW i8? I set my standards for Tesla so I have no idea if BMW is on par with it. There are probably tons of things I will have to forgo, like autopilot. But right now, this is probably going to be more affordable than the Tesla Roadster, especially used.

Also I have driven the BMW i8 on a test drive. And rented a Huracan. And when it comes to exotic looking cars, the BMW i8 is the most comfortable exotic looking car to drive. The Huracan is a beast, while cool, but it's not comfortable, about the same comfort as being stuck inside a commercial airplane with it's loud engine.

2015 BMW i8
There are always risks with a pre owned car and anything exotic-ish will be expensive to maintain. Research, research, research.

It's old though, like 4 years old, not super old, but def not new.

Driving a car the same age as me would be a super cool Instagram moment.

For me, itd be this one:

upload_2019-4-16_16-49-5.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jedi2155
I test drove an i8 when they first came out with the Atlanta i3/i8 owners group. BMW hosted a meetup at their training center and we got to see how it all worked. The carbon fiber reinforced plastic concept was very innovative, but expensive to produce. The construction is much more exotic than Tesla construction and I would say has overall better build quality.

Unfortunately, I think BMW never wanted the cars to succeed. The styling was crazy and they focused too much on the "mega city" urban mobility issues which made the i3 not very well suited to use in the US. The i8 never had enough power and the tech was parts bin BMW. Lack of autopilot or even adaptive cruise was the #1 killer for me, otherwise we would have replaced our Mercedes SLK with a used i8 as the fun weekend car.

Your parents actually hate you and you are adopted.

I'd rather be adopted in his family than be born into mine for sure.

My good for nothing parents only assisted me with an M3 purchase. Didn't pay for the whole thing and by M3, I mean MAZDA 3.

I am feeling so resentful right now.

Think I'll go hug a teddy bear and find a book I can color in.

Last edited:
I'd rather be adopted in his family than be born into mine for sure.

My good for nothing parents only assisted me with an M3 purchase. Didn't pay for the whole thing and by M3, I mean MAZDA 3.

I am feeling so resentful right now.

Think I'll go hug a teddy bear and find a book I can color in.
Say it isn't so @MXWing, tell me you don't need a #safespace, haha!

• Love
Reactions: MXWing