Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8 same price as Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 looks better and is better in every category

Bull *sugar*. Zero Instagram and YouTube star credibility.

OP looking for baller cars. Model 3 is for plebeians.

No one would believe how many bums drive Model 3s around here until I took a picture to prove it.

8451AD7A-C046-4449-BE8E-88FA5CE7A665.jpeg

i8 is cool looking, but hard to compare to Model 3 ... no room, hard to get in / out ... you are better to compare that to used Cayman or something of same class. My friend was looking at off-lease ones at his BMW dealer - but the service manager told him, biggest issue is spare part availability - if something goes wrong - it is expensive and spares have to come from Germany - and can take months ...

I am curious about the BMW i8, because I am seeing a ton of used ones on Craigslist for a very reasonable price of like $60-80k. Well, my parents bought my Model 3 and just bought it cash like no big deal. But they never considered buying used, even slightly used, to get the best deal possible. I'm not complaining, I like the Model 3, but it just irks me there is a BMW i8 for the same price as my Model 3. And I am sure this BMW i8 will get more head turns than any Model 3, since they're like everywhere now. And this BMW i8 def has that dream car exotic look, and you can probably go around telling everyone you're some millionaire hot shot with a popular YouTube channel.

It's old though, like 4 years old, not super old, but def not new. But since it's electric, would it mean it should be more reliable than say a used Range Rover or a Lamborghini? Because for the asking price of a Model 3, I could just get myself a used BMW i8 and look like a baller for only $60-70k.

Are there any hidden problems if someone went with their $60k budget to buy a used i8 over a new Model 3? Plus how is the range on the BMW i8? I set my standards for Tesla so I have no idea if BMW is on par with it. There are probably tons of things I will have to forgo, like autopilot. But right now, this is probably going to be more affordable than the Tesla Roadster, especially used.

Also I have driven the BMW i8 on a test drive. And rented a Huracan. And when it comes to exotic looking cars, the BMW i8 is the most comfortable exotic looking car to drive. The Huracan is a beast, while cool, but it's not comfortable, about the same comfort as being stuck inside a commercial airplane with it's loud engine.

2015 BMW i8

I am curious about the BMW i8, because I am seeing a ton of used ones on Craigslist for a very reasonable price of like $60-80k. Well, my parents bought my Model 3 and just bought it cash like no big deal. But they never considered buying used, even slightly used, to get the best deal possible. I'm not complaining, I like the Model 3, but it just irks me there is a BMW i8 for the same price as my Model 3. And I am sure this BMW i8 will get more head turns than any Model 3, since they're like everywhere now. And this BMW i8 def has that dream car exotic look, and you can probably go around telling everyone you're some millionaire hot shot with a popular YouTube channel.

It's old though, like 4 years old, not super old, but def not new. But since it's electric, would it mean it should be more reliable than say a used Range Rover or a Lamborghini? Because for the asking price of a Model 3, I could just get myself a used BMW i8 and look like a baller for only $60-70k.

Are there any hidden problems if someone went with their $60k budget to buy a used i8 over a new Model 3? Plus how is the range on the BMW i8? I set my standards for Tesla so I have no idea if BMW is on par with it. There are probably tons of things I will have to forgo, like autopilot. But right now, this is probably going to be more affordable than the Tesla Roadster, especially used.

Also I have driven the BMW i8 on a test drive. And rented a Huracan. And when it comes to exotic looking cars, the BMW i8 is the most comfortable exotic looking car to drive. The Huracan is a beast, while cool, but it's not comfortable, about the same comfort as being stuck inside a commercial airplane with it's loud engine.

2015 BMW i8
Not electric. Guess you need to read more about it.

2015 BMW i8
Bro the i8 is like, so 2015. I mean I can’t even go into a Starbucks for a frap without seeing one at the Starbucks across the street.

Last edited:
Sounds like OP wants a car that looks cool. If that’s all you care about then the i8 is for you.

The problems with it are not hidden. They are well known. Also, it’s not an electric car, it’s a hybrid. If you have Tesla standards for performance you will be disappointed.

I’m sure the BMW service center experience will be better though. Which is good because you’ll be there frequently.

That's a riot! When I was in BMTroubleU land the whining was just like here, the service experience was way worse especially if you bought your car at another dealer to save a few bucks, and once you were out of warranty you were dead to them and the car was an annoyance they wished would vanish from the face of the earth.

Last edited: