Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a bit curious to see if any MS owners are considering the i8? I personally think it's quite a sexy car, but with a hefty price tag of $125k.

It appears that the i8 will have a base price of $135,700. Silly expensive. I don't see this as being competition for the Model S. It mystifies me that BMW even bothered with the electric portion of the drive train. What happens when the battery runs down? No more 0-60 in 4.4? It's unclear whether the alternator will be capable of charging the battery on the fly.

Anyone notice that the i8 only weighs 3300 lbs too, Hate to say it, BUT for a lightweight car with lots of HP that's not very impressive. The Tesla weighs 1/3 more AND is quicker. Imagine if the 60 kwhr one went on 1500 lb diet. You know Force= Mass * acceleration and all, force remains constant, mass goes down, acceleration must increase

What is interesting about this ad is what they do NOT show or focus on with respect to the ICE, exhaust pipe (or really the rear of the car at all) or anything having to do with the sound of the car itself.

And then the tag line "Born Electric" does not make sense as it can ONLY be configured with an ICE.

I'm always suspicious when I see a new car intro with this much theater and sizzle. Reminds me of a shampoo commercial.
Exactly. I learn more from a beer commercial where the entire setting in girls in bikinis. And no, I'm not making a joke about that kind of content. I'm saying that at least in those commercials you are told like 3-5 (sometimes legally required) facts.

If Teslas weren't available, this would look like something very interesting, but given that some companies have not been such slackers as big auto, this is underwhelming. It is sad to think that all this tech was available long ago but they
only began moving their butts and underwhelmingly when the competition began shaming them with products which make their ICEs look like oldtimers...

Better than nothing but far far from impressive.

Holy crap no joke i just saw the i8 40 minutes ago in simi valley

i was at the intersection by am pm and i saw these lights coming up from across the street that stood out from every other car, it stopped, and then TOOK OFF on the right turn and i saw it was the i8, it was the blue one, i could not take a picture as it was totally unexpected and i was in shock, had my window down and yelled "holy sh*t" and the guy next to me looked at me lol

what the heck was an i8 it doing in simi valley out of all places?? my heart is still beating from excitement, it looked so good. believe me or not

22 miles electric range.
Engine included.
transmission.
two seater.
NO trunk space to speak of. Engine in the back, motor in the front.
MSRP $135.7k
Less Horse power than the Model S.
0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

Are they repeating the Karma experience? Didn't learn anything from Fisker.

BMW i - BMW North America

Is the Karma a glorified I8, or is it the other way around?

Is the Karma a glorified I8, or is it the other way around?
Is it known what kind of mileage the i8 will get in gasoline only mode if its battery gets depleted?

As I understand it the Karma is EPA rated at 20 mpg[SUB]US[/SUB] (12 L/100 km; 24 mpg[SUB]Imp[/SUB]) in gasoline only mode[SUP]1[/SUP]. Shall we say not that great in other words…

On the other hand, it is possible to seat four adults in a Karma. That does not seem to be the case with the i8… And the Karma is EPA rated at 32 miles (51 km) all electric[SUP]1[/SUP], vs. 22 all electric miles for the i8.

If both cars are mostly to be used only by a driver, and as long as they’re both mostly driven in all electric mode, the i8 seems to be more efficient. But since the Karma can drive longer in all electric mode, and also gets more efficient the more people it hauls, there might be scenarios when the Karma gets more efficient once the i8 has to resort to gasoline. But again – if there’s mostly only the driver in the car, and s(he) regularly drives a lot longer than 32 miles (or whenever the battery tends to run out if s(he)’s driving a Karma), then I guess at some point the i8 will again start to make more sense from an efficiency point of view.

On top of that there’s of course also financial and reliability concerns...

– – – Edit: – – –

And for those who can accept post 5 sec. 0-60 acceleration figures, there’s of course (soon) also the i3 and the Caddy ELR. And perhaps even the Volt. In Europe there’s also the Volvo V60 Plug-in. :rolleyes:

– – – Edit no. 2: – – –

And of course: IMO it goes without saying that the Model S beats all of the above. Tesla is also IMO by far the best corporate entity to give money to in exchange for products, since [1] they are arguably the one single entity[SUP]2[/SUP] behind not only their own products, but also everything else that is fully or in part electric[SUP]3[/SUP]. And [2]: They are the only entity that currently exists that can be fully trusted to never stop to relentlessly strive towards getting as much of the transportation sector as is physically possible over to electric propulsion.

But, if X absolutely have to keep the option to fall back on ICE tech in order to keep his/her job (or significant other), and isn’t willing to part with either…

[SUP]2[/SUP]Ok. Not entirely true. The US gov. and some other governments like the Norwegian and most likely also the Japanese (Panasonic), have also been helpful.

[SUP]3[/SUP]With the possible exception of the Fisker Karma. I don’t know enough to say though, so I could very well be completely wrong here. Regardless, though the Model S IMO is the better choice – Fisker is as of now in reality no longer around.

Last edited: