Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I thought Realist sees them on the road all the time?
Yeah. I was wondering about that myself. Maybe it’s cars from the BMW test fleet…

- - - Updated - - -

This is car is a joke, looks nice but I bet it will have all kinds of problems...glad to see BMW starting down the electric path though at least with its golf cart (i3) and this new piece of work.
Why? Aren’t other hybrids like the Volt and the Prius among the most reliable cars you can buy (with an internal combustion engine)? Are cars from BMW less reliable than any other cars with an internal combustion engine? And to be more precise – cars in the ~$135.000 range…

Last edited:
Of course.

I do not understand why people constantly see the i8 as another Fisker Karma. The concept is entirely different.

I don't know a lot about the Fisker or the i8 though have done a bit of online research. Though I am not in the market for either of those cars I would be interested to read your comparison analysis. Thanks!

What is different?

Both are hybrids with similar electric only range, although the i8 has a bit less EV range. Both are form over function. Both are over $100k. Need I go on?
Won’t the i8 be a lot more fuel-efficient than the Karma when in hybrid mode for long distance travel? As in trips for one or two people – trips that are longer than 200-265 miles…

As I understand it, a lot of Karma buyers bought a Karma for the green cred, and because they need to be able to do long trips like these in order to keep their day jobs.

Last edited:
I have a feeling most Karma buyers bought the car for the looks and the green aspect was a secondary benefit. Same with i8 I would think. You would have to survey all of these buyers of course to find out but that's just the feeling I got from seeing some comments they posted on various forums.

I have a feeling most Karma buyers bought the car for the looks and the green aspect was a secondary benefit. Same with i8 I would think. You would have to survey all of these buyers of course to find out but that's just the feeling I got from seeing some comments they posted on various forums.
I got the same impression.

Too bad BMW doesn’t offer an all-electric version of the i8 with:

- An liquid-cooled/heated battery back
- At least 265 miles of EPA rated range
- Ability to use the Tesla Supercharger network
- A 0-60 time of ~3.7 seconds[SUP]1[/SUP]
- Ability to go for a longer time at full throttle around a track than the Roadster Sport before it mandates a limited-performance mode to cool down[SUP]2[/SUP]
- And perhaps also a slightly higher top speed than a Roadster Sport[SUP]3[/SUP]

Right?

2 & 3. For the record, I personally don’t think these two are necessary, but unfortunately abilities like these two will probably come in handy if Top Gear (or some such) ever sinks their anti-EV claws into this hypothetical all-electric i8.

1. Again, I personally don’t think anything faster than 4.4 is necessary, but the target market seems to think otherwise…

Last edited:
Yes that would make the i8 an impressive car (with the caveat that no other manufacturer will be able to use the Tesla Supercharger network without permission from Tesla). However I doubt that BMW has the technological ability to make such a car, or they would have by now.

How many more years is it going to be before there is a car comparable to the Model S? I suspect at least three more years.

.../ (with the caveat that no other manufacturer will be able to use the Tesla Supercharger network without permission from Tesla). /...
As I understand it, and in such a hypothetical scenario: As long as BMW were to agree to pay just as much for access to the Tesla Supercharger network proportionate to usage and fleet size as Tesla does, then it is my understanding that Tesla would welcome them with open arms.

The i8 battery is not liquid cooled?
I don’t know. I was just speculating about a hypothetical all-electric version…

- - - Updated - - -

Supercharging for a car with a 5 kWh battery doesn't seem very useful.
The hypothetical all-electric version I was speculating about would need a bigger battery. How big? I don’t know. Hopefully smaller than the 85 kWh pack in the (85 kWh version of the) Model S. But you’re of course right with regards to the current hybrid version. And as I understand it, such a small battery won’t be able to accept Supercharger levels of charging anyway.