Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW iNext

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supposed to be their flagship EV with autonomous driving due in 2021.

BMW's New Electric Flagship Car for 2021 Lags Audi, Mercedes

The iNext will be “our new innovation driver, with autonomous driving, digital connectivity, intelligent lightweight design, a totally new interior and ultimately bringing the next generation of electro-mobility to the road,” Chief Executive Officer Harald Krueger said Thursday at the annual shareholders meeting of the 100-year-old company.

I find it surprising and illuminating that BMW find it cannot bring out a long-range EV until it accumulates juiced M sales, despite its touted lead with the i3 and i8. Makes me think the incumbents cannot compete in EVs as well as Tesla's naysayers would want to believe.

Perhaps BMW think it would be better to enter that market fully autonomous? and thus are waiting until they can

No idea, once technology is available (maybe it already is / nearly is?) that Tesla could have a new/revamped model-to-market?

Such a shame that the i3 looks nothing like its stable mates and (in the US) has a REX that cuts in far too late to prevent a noticeable power dip under certain driving conditions.

But the real problem for BMW, Nissan and the rest is the "division" mentality. They still see electric technology as the, ahem, most effective strap-on that can give their marques additional appeal. The i3 "didn't work" (no doubt judged using the same criteria as a new ICE vehicle and skewed by the expense of all that carbon fiber) so clearly management believe that the i division should refocus on some other form of new and cheaper technology.

They should be putting serious resources into both. Instead, we'll get another self-fulfilling prophecy in the shape of the i5.

*sigh*

As I understand, the reveal had to happen September 9. So, where is it? Is anybody has information?

1958-Edsel.png

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr