TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

BMW Introduces Direct Competitor to Model S

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Saimaannorppa, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Saimaannorppa

Saimaannorppa Member

BMW introduces the Tesla fighter - BMW i Vision Dynamics

What do you think?

I'm already biased, as I made my mind to order Model S and I'm locked in. However, the looks of that car is not greatly appealing. Designers are still obliged to make EVs look like dustbusters to not really compromise ICE sales. No interior pics. Specs are promises, and in 2021, who knows what is the standard? No price of course.

2. Tiger

Tiger Member

• Like x 2
  3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

2021 -- Laughable if it wasn't so depressing.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't really feel like a concept for a car BMW might build in four years qualities as "introduces a competitor" for a car that's in mass production today.

At least BMW is admitting that they need to compete, though.

• Like x 6
  5. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

The nose reminds me of the old Atari "Tempest" video game! I'm not sure if that's what they were going for.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Holy crap! I'm a huge BMW fan, and even still would consider a BMW BEV over a Tesla, but yikes that's one ugly car! The kidney grill/non grill looks terrible! Like its bolted on. Why so huge? It doesn't look anything like the signature BMW grills. This is one huge fail, BMW. Please try again.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I was going to say it looks like an 8-bit video game.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

There are two possible explanations for the look:
    1) It's a concept, and concepts are designed to provoke reactions, rather than actually be deliverable.
    2) It's for China, where taste is very different

• Like x 1
  9. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

I reviewed the March 2009 promo for the Model S, with its anticipated late 2011 start of production (June 22, 2012 was initial roll out).
    And the possible 120V, 240V or 480V charging (thank goodness the 480V version gave way to DC version of Supercharging).
    Tesla has used that time transitioning from the initial Roaster to the Model S building an awesome brand, virtually before our eyes.
    With the current number of worldwide Tesla Superchargers being ~960 and counting, and the joint-venture Gigafactory pumping out new versions of batteries ==>> BMW has a very tall hill in front of them.

Getting from the drawing board to the showroom is a daunting task for established automobile manufacturers who lack either focus or motivation.
    R&D, design, production for new models requires commitment of tremendous amounts of technical resources, innovation and cost Billions $$$.

When BMW's iVision is actually sitting in a showroom, ready for delivery to paying customers: it's a competitor.
    Until then, nice prototype model.

Competition is great for consumers, the environment, any bona fide manufacturer's bottom line.
    Seriously: Is 2021 as soon as BMW can get this done? And they want to retain and expand their client base?
    IF MB or Audi or Jaguar or Lexus already had their "Model S Fighter" shipping and on the road, BMW would HAVE to ratchet up their time frame.

Why not Lead, instead of Follow?

• Love x 2
  10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

"Introduced" is a very optimistic word for what BMW just did.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  11. daniel

daniel Active Member

I guess it doesn't really matter how ugly it is since it doesn't exist yet. I don't care all that much what a car looks like. Two of my last three cars were ugly when I got them, but grew on me later. What matters is that they've given zero real information. Just a promise to build a car and big promises on specs. How close will they really get to the promises? And will they build it in quantity, or will it just be a token number to placate the environmentalists?

• Helpful x 1
  12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I nearly fell from my chair laughing when I read "introduces" and "Tesla fighter" and "2021" in the same article.
    Then I remembered it was BMW and almost started crying. After all, weren't there rumors that BMW would introduce an electric 3-series in 2019.
    Where's any mention of that?

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I don't understand why BMW doesn't focus on just building EV versions of the car designs they already have in production? Sure, it would require major internal changes for the battery and motor(s), but use the same sheet-metal and build what sells.. why bastardize the brand with these far-out weirdmobiles (i3, i8, etc)?

A BEV 3,4, or 5 series? SOLD.

• Like x 4
  14. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

Yeah - this.

• Like x 1
  15. McRat

McRat Active Member

It would have to be autonomous.

Because only a blind buyer would think it compares to a Model S.

• Funny x 5
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

A 'built from the ground up' gives you the ability to take advantage of the benefits of an EV, where rebuilding an existing model doesn't.
    The gears of these old but huge auto manufacturers move slowly. I am thrilled BMW continues moving forward with their EV plans. I won't be buying from a stealership if I have any choice though.

17. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I saw it posted that it looks like a beaver, and now i cant get it out of my head. Great job BMW. Thats a real Tesla killer, execpt Tesla will probably be on to flying cars by the time the Beaver leaves home.

• Funny x 2
  18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I know, but they can still use the same basic sheet-metal and body design of their existing line up and call them BEV Series 3, 4, and 5. Classic BMW looks and interiors, but electric.

I wasn't suggesting they just gut existing cars and cram in batteries everywhere.

They can still "build from ground up" and have the same basic exterior designs.

19. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

"Unfortunately, with no real need for a traditional ICE grill, we have no place for our signature kidney styling."

"That's ok, just draw it on with blue highlighter".

"Done!"

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. realvvk

realvvk Member

I think all of these designs are way too conventional. They are based on 100 year old basic idea of a vehicle with a large propultion system, a relatively compact energy store and possibly a long rigid propshaft and transaxle. All this changes in EV world but most car companies cannot see that. Why not a completely different design that actually makes sense for an EV? Tesla was a step in thhhe right direction but the design is still wholly conventional. Why not something like a tandem design with detachable battery module in the back, kind of like a mini tractor trailer? Or an accordeon design? Or something completely different? It does not need to be conventional.

• Funny x 1