Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW is discontinuing 3G. Tesla next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an email from BMW to let me know that starting February next year, my BMW i3 will no longer have 3G connectivity. Meaning, no real time traffic info, no access through the app, etc. And there is no fix for it.

This sucks, of course. But the reason why I bring it up here is because of the wording.

The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.

They make it sound like 3G network is being phased out altogether. Which immediately made me think about my Model S. Are the carriers somehow just doing this with BMW (perhaps due to preexisting agreements), or should we start thinking about upgrading our Tesla to LTE? As far as I know, nothing like this came out from Tesla yet.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
It will be a very long time before the 3G network is retired here in the US. They have tried to kill off the old 2G network, but several carriers (T-Mobile in the Los Angeles area) still have 2G coverage as many legacy systems (ie. safety and emergency systems) still use the old 2G network. There are even more systems out there that still use 3G so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and Vinc
My Audi A8 3G, and real time traffic and maps ended 12/2020 because AT&T announced that as a sunset date. It is being phased out quickly. As towers and areas fail, they are taken off line. This is a carrier decision, and the cars that have it will suffer. Also, My Generac Generator has a 3G Cellular connection as a monitor interface that is no longer supported for the same reason, from Verizon. The service is still available where I live, but the generator company cannot support it across the US reliably, so it just doesn't support it anymore period. I now need to buy 4G equipment if I want the generator connection. One of the main reasons I bought my Tesla in 2020 was Audi's removal of all support for my 2017 Audi A8 car's telematics. The Audi was still under full bumper to bumper warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
I just got an email from BMW to let me know that starting February next year, my BMW i3 will no longer have 3G connectivity. Meaning, no real time traffic info, no access through the app, etc. And there is no fix for it.

This sucks, of course. But the reason why I bring it up here is because of the wording.

The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.

They make it sound like 3G network is being phased out altogether. Which immediately made me think about my Model S. Are the carriers somehow just doing this with BMW (perhaps due to preexisting agreements), or should we start thinking about upgrading our Tesla to LTE? As far as I know, nothing like this came out from Tesla yet.
They likely use AT&T given the exact same phase out date, and the discontinuation of 3G is very real. AT&T is beginning to do so, with the official date being 2/2022.
Get Ready, 3G is Going Away in 2022

However, last month, one of my family's phones (which technically is 4G, just doesn't support Volte) already stopped working when inside the house (only works outside on some city streets). So it seems AT&T have already started shutting down some 3G towers.

It will be a very long time before the 3G network is retired here in the US. They have tried to kill off the old 2G network, but several carriers (T-Mobile in the Los Angeles area) still have 2G coverage as many legacy systems (ie. safety and emergency systems) still use the old 2G network. There are even more systems out there that still use 3G so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.
T-mobile is one of the few carriers that is still supporting 2G officially. They actually were planning to shut down their 2G after they shut down 3G.
The big T-Mobile and Sprint 2G / 3G shutdowns are coming — and we have new information
T‑Mobile Throws a Lifeline to AT&T’s Stranded 2G IoT Customers with Free SIMs and Service

Make no mistake, it's not an empty threat, it's really happening. AT&T certainly is already starting to do so (I have personal experience in one of the phones on my line).

• Informative
It is crummy for sure, but you'll get a 4G replacement module along with your MCU1 recall. Upgrading to MCU2 also gives you LTE.

An alternative is to use a 4G hotspot and connect over wifi. Not ideal, but perhaps not a terrible idea either if the auto manufacturer's connection isn't free. At least you'd have a hotspot you could use elsewhere if you choose.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
It is crummy for sure, but you'll get a 4G replacement module along with your MCU1 recall. Upgrading to MCU2 also gives you LTE.

An alternative is to use a 4G hotspot and connect over wifi. Not ideal, but perhaps not a terrible idea either if the auto manufacturer's connection isn't free. At least you'd have a hotspot you could use elsewhere if you choose.
I'm not sure if that is the solution to a 3G Tesla. The car still requires some secure communications over the cellular network that cannot be replaced by just supplying a WiFi connection to the car. If the car itself cannot establish a cellular connection occasionally , some critical services will not work for the car.

• Informative
I'm not sure if that is the solution to a 3G Tesla. The car still requires some secure communications over the cellular network that cannot be replaced by just supplying a WiFi connection to the car. If the car itself cannot establish a cellular connection occasionally , some critical services will not work for the car.
Which ones? I've heard the opposite - you need wifi for most (all?) software updates now.

At any rate, if Tesla is recalling MCU1 and repairing them, they are replacing them with LTE capable boards. My MCU1 failed and when they replaced I received the LTE modem at the same time.

It will be a very long time before the 3G network is retired here in the US.
No, it won’t. 3G will be dead on all major US carriers by the end of next year.
It is crummy for sure, but you'll get a 4G replacement module along with your MCU1 recall.
No, you won’t.
The car still requires some secure communications over the cellular network
The car will continue to function just fine, absent connectivity features of course.

Navigation and google maps requires cellular communications
Neither of which are “critical services” to the car’s function, and neither of which manufacturers are required to provide in perpetuity on obsolete hardware. If you want that functionality to continue, it’s perfectly reasonable to expect you’re gonna have to pay for an MCU2 upgrade or LTE board for your MCU1.

Neither of which are “critical services” to the car’s function, and neither of which manufacturers are required to provide in perpetuity on obsolete hardware. If you want that functionality to continue, it’s perfectly reasonable to expect you’re gonna have to pay for an MCU2 upgrade or LTE board for your MCU1.
I think there are more services requiring cell service, like the mobile app, and other services Tesla requires security on. A Tesla with only WiFi and no cell service is not a happy Tesla. You probably don't want all the captured video images being transferred over your cell phone connection either.

I think there are more services requiring cell service, like the mobile app, and other services Tesla requires security on. A Tesla with only WiFi and no cell service is not a happy Tesla. You probably don't want all the captured video images being transferred over your cell phone connection either.
Some of the holdouts that stuck on v8 firmware eventually lost all connectivity after the vpn to web sockets switch. Yes, the app stopped working. Their cars, however, functioned just fine. Again, there are no “critical features” the car needs to function as a car that require cellular connectivity.

You seem to be suggesting that Tesla is going to be compelled to offer a free LTE upgrade to owners when the 3G networks are shut off next year. Is that your opinion?

Audi didn't upgrade me to 4G as the upgrade didn't exist. If I wanted to use the features, I would need to buy a new car, which I did -- a Tesla. It is comforting to know that Tesla at least will offer an upgrade as old technology becomes obsolete. Buying a new car to get 4G is expensive (Audi's solution to this issue). Like you, if you don't need 4G, and don't want to use the app, maps, etc., I guess you can just make do. I like a functioning car not overly hampered by loss of the technology that I received when I purchased the car. If the Tesla gets too far behind, and I can't upgrade it, I guess it is time for a new car again.

Reactions: dark cloud
Audi didn't upgrade me to 4G as the upgrade didn't exist. If I wanted to use the features, I would need to buy a new car, which I did -- a Tesla. It is comforting to know that Tesla at least will offer an upgrade as old technology becomes obsolete. Buying a new car to get 4G is expensive (Audi's solution to this issue). Like you, if you don't need 4G, and don't want to use the app, maps, etc., I guess you can just make do. I like a functioning car not overly hampered by loss of the technology that I received when I purchased the car. If the Tesla gets too far behind, and I can't upgrade it, I guess it is time for a new car again.
Yeah, that's the silver lining with Tesla, at least the modules are designed to be upgradeable. With Audi/BMW/Mercedes you are basically SOL when 3G turns off, as there isn't a upgrade path. There's also the crutch of using Wifi (as some do in other countries that aren't compatible with the include SIM), although it's more of a hassle (have to switch to drive to turn on).

They likely use AT&T given the exact same phase out date, and the discontinuation of 3G is very real. AT&T is beginning to do so, with the official date being 2/2022.
Get Ready, 3G is Going Away in 2022

However, last month, one of my family's phones (which technically is 4G, just doesn't support Volte) already stopped working when inside the house (only works outside on some city streets). So it seems AT&T have already started shutting down some 3G towers.

BMW does use ATT (at least every BMW I had with cellular connectivity over the past 10 years or so).

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc