Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW is teslas biggest fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you will see movement from all the German manufacturers moving forward.

Some. In about five years time. Perhaps.

The Baker Motor Vehicle Company had to move "forward" in 1915. They didn't; they perished.
Record companies had to move forward 10 years ago. They didn't and all but the last few are gone.
Eastman Kodak had to move forward. Didn't. Gone.

It is not uncommon for the old to die instead of moving forward. The circle of life and such.

I think Tesla's master plan will wake them up. Since they are taking such a large chunk of sales from their top tier cars which I am guessing are their most profitable I think they will all be paying attention and looking to move into this space in a big way. ....them actually getting there is questionable but I don't see them sitting idle for long when quarter after quarter Model S chews so heavily into their sales.

I think Tesla's master plan will wake them up. Since they are taking such a large chunk of sales from their top tier cars which I am guessing are their most profitable I think they will all be paying attention and looking to move into this space in a big way. ....them actually getting there is questionable but I don't see them sitting idle for long when quarter after quarter Model S chews so heavily into their sales.
I'm still cautious about those early numbers, I believe much of that volume is represented by the many reservations held, some even for years. The same caution I will have for any number that will leak out in Q2/Q3, as those will be filled with the EU reservations. But I hope that the actual presence of the Model S in the EU will shake up the German car makers. Nothing is worse than seeing the competition up close, in action :)

I'm still cautious about those early numbers, I believe much of that volume is represented by the many reservations held, some even for years...
Anecdotes say that sales have been increasing with things like the "Car of the Year", and Consumer Reports "Best Car Ever" making car shoppers take notice.

Elon has stated they were reserving at just under 15k per year in the US .... if they hold constant at that level(I think they will increase) it will still take a very large bite out of their bottom line ... enough to wake them up anyway. Or at least one would hope so. At least one who is not a TSLA stock holder.

I had 2 BMWs and still owns one. Since my MS delivered in February, I realized how good the MS is compared to my BMWs, the ride comfort, sharp turn, electric steering, direct drive, I can go on. To me, MS is a true sport sedan which satisfies all my requirements, aesthetics, performance and ride. Needless to say, great fuel economy. In many ways, the MS puts my BMWs to shame. Why wouldn't the BMW engineering team studies the MS and learned from the best. That's what engineers do. One may call it "reversed engineering" but this is a common practice in the scientific and engineering world.