Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW management to skip Paris show over electric car impasse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quotes from that article:

"...BMW has been torn about whether to accelerate development of new electric cars, given its expensive early investments into the area which resulted in only lackluster sales of its i3, which saw only 25,000 deliveries last year. Norbert Reithofer championed the i3 project while CEO of the carmaker and, in his new role as chairman, is keeping up pressure on new CEO Harald Krueger and BMW management to expand the company's electric program. But some other senior executives are unwilling to plow more resources into electric cars until i3 sales improve and there is a clearer business case for such investment..."

Some in BMW management appear to realize that EVs are the future and they need to expand their EV product line, but other senior management still don't get it. If they think i3 sales are going to "improve" they are sadly mistaken. What they need to do is build a more broadly compelling EV but they are afraid it will take sales from their profitable ICE vehicles.

Some in BMW management appear to realize that EVs are the future and they need to expand their EV product line, but other senior management still don't get it. If they think i3 sales are going to "improve" they are sadly mistaken. What they need to do is build a more broadly compelling EV but they are afraid it will take sales from their profitable ICE vehicles.
They're probably in the process of making more terrible commercials of Tesla Model 3 to appear.

Reactions: jbcarioca and Lloyd
This is illustrative of why it will take so long for major car companies to shift to electric. It won't happen until the culture of the company changes which could take as long as waiting for the current generation to retire. Tesla clearly already has that culture.

Reactions: dauger
I suspect the problem is they don't have cheap enough battery and/or the construction. The i3 stands at 2860lb, if cost is not a constraint, they could add 1000 lb of battery, lower the roof line to make it aerodynamic, and really make a long range fast EV, given BMW's driving dynamics know-how they could probably really sell it.... if they can get low enough cost for the battery and the construction.

It's not a coincident that Tesla is focusing on battery and factory building.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Ah, Wang Labs... a blast from the past. Ruled the roost in dedicated word processors at one time... until word processing became just another application for generic personal computers. Yes, definitely a lesson-to-be-learned business case there.

Wang was an MIT mathematician who found a better equation to approximate logarithms. Instead of publishing it, he started a company and initially made an electronic calculator with a desktop terminal and a 'CPU' that was faster that what was available. Ahead of his time, but times changed.....

Reactions: jbcarioca