TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW management to skip Paris show over electric car impasse

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by zenmaster, Sep 9, 2016.

1. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

• Informative x 3
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Quotes from that article:

"...BMW has been torn about whether to accelerate development of new electric cars, given its expensive early investments into the area which resulted in only lackluster sales of its i3, which saw only 25,000 deliveries last year. Norbert Reithofer championed the i3 project while CEO of the carmaker and, in his new role as chairman, is keeping up pressure on new CEO Harald Krueger and BMW management to expand the company's electric program. But some other senior executives are unwilling to plow more resources into electric cars until i3 sales improve and there is a clearer business case for such investment..."

Some in BMW management appear to realize that EVs are the future and they need to expand their EV product line, but other senior management still don't get it. If they think i3 sales are going to "improve" they are sadly mistaken. What they need to do is build a more broadly compelling EV but they are afraid it will take sales from their profitable ICE vehicles.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 3
    • Funny x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Have they considered the possibility that i3 sales were lackluster because they designed a lackluster car?

• Like x 11
    • Funny x 3
  4. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

They're probably in the process of making more terrible commercials of Tesla Model 3 to appear.

• Like x 2
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Apparently that has not occurred to them...

6. gregd

gregd Member

Nor, apparently, that they might go to the show to listen and observe, and perhaps (as unlikely as it might seem) learn something.

I wonder if B.M.W. is another way to spell Kodak.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

This is illustrative of why it will take so long for major car companies to shift to electric. It won't happen until the culture of the company changes which could take as long as waiting for the current generation to retire. Tesla clearly already has that culture.

• Like x 1
  8. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

In my mind, the Chevy Bolt EV is basically a better BMW i3.

It is less ugly while retaining some visual design cues, has optional similar one-pedal driving that comes to a full stop, has much more range, is cheaper, is faster, and is slightly larger.

The BMW has a nicer interior.

• Like x 4
  9. Petra

Petra Member

Hmm... A positively hideous car that's overpriced and has lackluster range selling poorly? Say it ain't so!

To be fair, the driving characteristics of the i3 are pretty enjoyable, but it's the wrong car to gauge BEV demand with.

• Like x 3
  10. jgs

jgs Member

"We gave you your damn EV and stuck a BMW nameplate on it! What more do you people want?"

I want to like the i3. I want to want to buy one. But it just ain't competitive, unless your only criteria, are, in this order:

1. Must have a BMW nameplate,
    2. Must be an EV.

I am willing to believe that market is pretty small.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

No, it's the German spelling of D.E.C. (look it up youngsters :p )

• Funny x 2
  12. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I suspect BMW is very proud of the i3. In many ways (mostly related to construction techniques) it is probably the most advanced car out there. Too bad brilliant engineering of all the constituent components doesn't guarantee an excellent end product.

• Like x 4
  13. JPP

JPP Active Member

You're back in my birth state. When I was just a youngster I got to play with one of the first PDP-8s. DEC was the hot new startup. Remember Wang Labs? Those who cannot remember the past etc.

• Like x 3
  14. Mo City

Mo City Member

Some majors will die off during the transition to EVs. The fact is they must sacrifice a chunk of short/mid-term profits or face irrelevance down the line. That's a tough sell to many shareholders.

• Like x 1
  15. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

Ah, Wang Labs... a blast from the past. Ruled the roost in dedicated word processors at one time... until word processing became just another application for generic personal computers. Yes, definitely a lesson-to-be-learned business case there.

• Like x 1
  16. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Member

I suspect the problem is they don't have cheap enough battery and/or the construction. The i3 stands at 2860lb, if cost is not a constraint, they could add 1000 lb of battery, lower the roof line to make it aerodynamic, and really make a long range fast EV, given BMW's driving dynamics know-how they could probably really sell it.... if they can get low enough cost for the battery and the construction.

It's not a coincident that Tesla is focusing on battery and factory building.

• Like x 1
  17. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Let me fix this for you:

Have they considered the possibility that i3 sales were lackluster because they designed an [ugly] car? :D

• Like x 1
  18. JPP

JPP Active Member

Wang was an MIT mathematician who found a better equation to approximate logarithms. Instead of publishing it, he started a company and initially made an electronic calculator with a desktop terminal and a 'CPU' that was faster that what was available. Ahead of his time, but times changed.....

• Like x 1
  19. RDoc

RDoc S85D

You know about not traveling with Tom Hanks? Well, I wrote software for DEC, Wang, and Polaroid.

I can also make roses wither with a glance.

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  20. JPP

JPP Active Member

...quite a pedigree. Any other companies you coded for that went EOL?

• Funny x 1