Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW management to skip Paris show over electric car impasse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The engineering is impressive. Most of their design choices, however, lead to a sub-par vehicle. See weird doors, low range, under-powered REX, weird styling, etc.

I'd heard of that video. Maybe I'll watch it someday. I already in my earlier post gave some credit to BMW (for use of CFRP) but it is absolutely clear to me that the i3 is NOT a well-engineered vehicle, not by a long shot.

If in fact the i3 sets the bar for brilliant or impressive engineering, then the Leaf's engineering is *FAR* beyond impressive or brilliant.

The 1st and last item were pretty common. The motor mount broke for some folks, including 1 guy at least twice, causing major expensive (for BMW) damage that necessitating a whole bunch of labor and replacement parts. Finally they seem to have converted it into a service campaign or recall besides the mitigation in BMW i3 Software Update 15-11-502 Fixes Flaws, Adds Features.

The guy at https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/permalink/962206930519835/ (you'd need to be in that FB group) mentions his i3 being in the shop for 3 months in a January, stating he began his lease in April. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/permalink/796165680457295/ is another guy with 5 CELs (check engine light) and him posting his drivetrain malfunction. Later on in his comments, he posts pics of a new REx engine. But, the replacement engine also threw a CEL. Then further on, supposedly BMW analyzed the gas in his area (SE Idaho) and concluded it sucks. They said they tried 10 different grades and brands and it only runs well w/Chevron.
From what I have seen, the Rex version in the US constantly has problems. Mine was a BEV and still had all kinds of non EV related problems the an "experienced" auto manufacture should have never had.

Article: "Senior managers fear they will not recoup the investment costs with Mini-branded cars because these do not command the same sticker prices as BMW-badged cars, another of the sources said."

I accept BMW was aiming for poor i3 sales, and if anything the article is wrong about any displeasure. The above quote is the big deal. Electrification is accelerating over some mix of function, price, or penalty. Some still negatively market it however they can (Toyota charging, etc). BMW, right next to VW, sees the perception shift, recognizes they're in a margin space that not only can afford diesel compliance, but can be profitable with battery electrics, too. Just maybe not 8% returns. Do they lead with a genuine luxury effort, more or less conceding that electrification of touring cars was the best way to go all along, or do they delay, lose a little luxury market share, and hold on to higher profitability and those customers who just love the badge? What this meeting may be conceding, that would be so important to the adoption of EVs, is addressing a customer base with the message that electric is the premium way to go. Does BMW dare do that (i-9)? Do they simply develop parallel offerings, with an expectation that electric customers are their own breed?

The others still sort of bastard'ize electric drive. Mercedes recently showed a golf cart, with a curiously Model 3 like center screen. GM aims to make the Bolt a mainstay among sub-prime Lyft drivers, despite CCS and its whopping 238 mile range. These are examples of the positioning BMW is likely to debate.