Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW may have given AWD owners some good news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
New 2019 BMW 340ix does 0-60 in 4.2s
My guess is Tesla releases an uncorking update early next year that drops AWD 0-60 to 4.1 secs (per Tesla). If they do that, they will also bring P down to 3.1 as listed by Tesla to maintain separation and P value, and also in prep for the next gen BMW M3 which will target that 3.5 range.
Tesla will not want a direct competitor outperforming the Model 3.
It will be interesting to see what they do for the RWD LR and SR

My guess is Tesla releases an uncorking update early next year that drops AWD 0-60 to 4.1 secs (per Tesla). If they do that, they will also bring P down to 3.1 as listed by Tesla to maintain separation and P value, and also in prep for the next gen BMW M3 which will target that 3.5 range.
The standard dual motor car already runs close to that 0-60.

These published 0-60 times are benchmarks obtained with professional drivers. Day at the track times by casual enthusiasts almost always favor the Tesla over a non EV with the same published official times due to the lack of gear change delays.

Point being, your P Model 3 will beat that BMW in a friendly wager. Enjoy and profit from the sleuth technology

These published 0-60 times are benchmarks obtained with professional drivers. Day at the track times by casual enthusiasts almost always favor the Tesla over a non EV with the same published official times due to the lack of gear change delays.

Point being, your P Model 3 will beat that BMW in a friendly wager. Enjoy and profit from the sleuth technology
Do you need to be a professional driver to floor the pedal 0-60 with automatic transmission?

Lots of little tricks have been developed by professional ICE drivers to better their 0-60 times.

Reducing drive tire pressures, putting Ice on the intake manifold and turbo, turning off AC. brake torquing, reving up engine and dropping it into drive, manually shifting to optimize times, stabbing throttle, anticipation of light, better understanding of the lights and deep or shallow staging, preping the starting line surface. making runs at optimum temperature/barometic pressures, running below sea level, keeping the steering wheel arrow straight...

So many things effect the performance of an ICE engine. For an EV...just snap floor the pedal.

I agree. I would probably pay something to boost acceleration on my RWD Model 3.

BMW's are always underrated by the factory. Or maybe they're actually properly rated and the magazines are using the tricks you describe.
Sadly, the new 3 series is automatic only so not a whole lot of driver skill involved.

Exactly this.

BMW, like Tesla, is well known for sandbagging their numbers, both in acceleration and in output horsepower and torque. B58 engine in my last 340xi was rated by BMW at something like 330hp... even when dynojet testing showed the cars were putting out more than that at the crank.

It remains to be seen if Tesla will "respond".. but certainly I can see some pressure to do something if the model 3 is priced near the top of the segment (and it will be when tax incentives run out) but is outperformed by German rivals.

It also doesn't take professional drivers to compare these cars. Automotive journalists love to get the latest crop of cars and do head to head comparisons and they will test the cars with the same drivers on the same tracks and publish those numbers.

They will also give their opinions about everything from handling to interior comfort features and how good the stereo sounds.

Tesla has a lot of goodwill because we are getting huge discounts on these cars by way of tax incentives. When those incentives are gone it will likely get a little "tighter" in Tesla land and one sure way to have something no magazine or blog can avoid talking about is to have a solid advantage in acceleration that is only possible with electric motors.