Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Mini charging (?) at Tesla Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Assuming it's charging as the owner peered back into the cabin after plugging in, looked content and walked off.

I know there was discussion about opening up the network to non-Tesla vehicles, and there was a bug previously that allowed this on V3 units, but is this live now?

Charger was a V2. If it is charging, would love to know how it's being paid for.

Attachments

• 20210427_170056.jpg
    20210427_170056.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: btc1k and CYBER_Y
Bet the driver came back to a battery with the same SoC as when he nipped off for a brew!
Perhaps, just seemed like the owner knew what they were doing. Grabbed the right cable (CCS), plugged in, checked the cabin presumably to confirm it was charging. Basically, they didn't at any point look lost.

Bigger problem is that because the chargeport is on the opposite side, they take up two stalls.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I don't want to start a conspiracy here, but I wonder if someone has managed to hack the VIN (or whatever identifier is used) that's communicated. Is it possible to spoof another car.

Or then again, they were just playing a practical joke.

I don't want to start a conspiracy here, but I wonder if someone has managed to hack the VIN (or whatever identifier is used) that's communicated. Is it possible to spoof another car.

Or then again, they were just playing a practical joke.
Hack the Mini’s software? Intercept the comms pin connections to a different controller? Both seem a bit extreme. I think the newer OCPP protocol design with ISO 15118 uses certificates - so that would be pretty tough. No idea what Tesla uses but given their bounty scene I’d be surprised if it wasn’t secured by now.

The Musk confirmed last December that non Tesla cars are already using the supercharger network, though he described it as “low key”. He didn’t say how or where. It would be easiest to do in Europe because of the ubiquitous use of the CCS connector, but there hasn’t been even the tiniest indication that it might be happening here.

The Musk confirmed last December that non Tesla cars are already using the supercharger network, though he described it as “low key”. He didn’t say how or where. It would be easiest to do in Europe because of the ubiquitous use of the CCS connector, but there hasn’t been even the tiniest indication that it might be happening here.

Surely if this were true, they would've considered this scenario where one non tesla car will essentially block two stalls. Doesn't seem too productive.

I don't think Tesla will or should open up SC to other EV's, there's plenty of EV chargers out there and it's one the reasons to BUY a tesla is the SC network. They would be shooting themselves in the foot as it devalues buying Teslas and would make people consider buying other EV's. I think this was just someone clueless.

I don't think Tesla will or should open up SC to other EV's, there's plenty of EV chargers out there and it's one the reasons to BUY a tesla is the SC network. They would be shooting themselves in the foot as it devalues buying Teslas and would make people consider buying other EV's. I think this was just someone clueless.

It’s already happening, we just don’t know to what extent or where.

This has been discussed on various EV news sites and the general consensus was this relates to Aptera vehicles, which have been snapped with Tesla connectors in the US.
If Minis were driving around using the SC network, it would be highly publicised.

Wonder if there are any Mini Electric owners among us that could verify?

WRT opening up the supercharger network, I think this makes strong business sense if managed properly. Value of $TSLA could do very well with so much additional revenue.

Pricing could be tiered for auto maker and for time of use. Imagine the possibility of having the Tesla app on all EV owners phones. Send push notifications to them for new models, deals etc. Tease with features they may be missing out on. Give an ID3 owner free supercharging miles if they recommend a friend to buy a Tesla :)

Additional revenue could be plowed back into more sites.

Wonder if there are any Mini Electric owners among us that could verify?

WRT opening up the supercharger network, I think this makes strong business sense if managed properly. Value of $TSLA could do very well with so much additional revenue.

Pricing could be tiered for auto maker and for time of use. Imagine the possibility of having the Tesla app on all EV owners phones. Send push notifications to them for new models, deals etc. Tease with features they may be missing out on. Give an ID3 owner free supercharging miles if they recommend a friend to buy a Tesla :)

Additional revenue could be plowed back into more sites.
And block superchargers with cars that have their charge ports on the wrong side sipping away at a paltry 50kW? Is it worth losing the Tesla exclusivity to join the charging melee? I just don’t see the benefit to Tesla, at this stage of their growth. Possibly when they were a smaller company struggling to get by, but not these days.

And block superchargers with cars that have their charge ports on the wrong side sipping away at a paltry 50kW? Is it worth losing the Tesla exclusivity to join the charging melee? I just don’t see the benefit to Tesla, at this stage of their growth. Possibly when they were a smaller company struggling to get by, but not these days.

Yep, it just doesn't make sense. Especially with other makers slowly coming up with more and more EVs, it would just overcrowd the superchargers.

Reactions: Wol747
One reason for buying a Tesla is the Supercharge network, The amount of reviews Ive read that have said x is a good car but the M3 beats its it due to the supercharge network. With the likes of the ID4. Mustang, Polestar2 (who I see hav introduced a cheaper version) challenging the M3 why would Tesla let them in on their biggest selling point.

Reactions: imstitch