TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW sells an i8, makes news. Makes Cadillac ELR relevelant?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mudmutt, Aug 28, 2014.

1. mudmutt

mudmutt Member

I honestly think Tesla was mentioned in the article to gain more interest in getting views.

One of the quotes in the article sums it up if you don't have time to read the whole article:

“They are far more interested in progressive brand statements then necessarily the quickest car on earth.”

BMW Joins Cadillac Wooing Silicon Valley to Combat Tesla - Bloomberg

2. wws

wws Member

It will take some doing to convince us here in Silicon Valley that Cadillac is a "progressive brand statement". One hardly ever sees them on the road. Meanwhile German and Japanese cars, and Tesla of course, are everywhere.

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

It looks like the i8 will be a success in large cities they ban emissions while driving in city centers.

Since you can choose when to use the i8's meager AER.

Looks like London will be a hotbed for i8s.

Silicon Valley? When BMW sells 2 or when Cadillac sells a single ELR that makes news.

There will always be people who make the wrong choice. :tongue:

4. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

True. I used to cringe every time people used to say the Volt should have been brought out under the Cadillac brand. Walking into a Chevrolet dealership was bad enough. :)

Actually, though, I've personally seen 4 different ELRs on the road while commuting between San Francisco and Silicon Valley.

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Same for the ELR.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

But Cadillac doesn't sell the ELR in Europe.

So far no American city bans vehicle emission in their cities. Doesn't look likely either.

If it did the first would be San Francisco and that is Tesla home turf for a myriad of reasons.