Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Shifting Focus of I Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ICE makers are in a catch 22 with EVs. If they make a compelling EV customers would want, then demand could quite possibly shift from their ICEs to EVs and they can't possibly build enough batteries right now to build more than a relative handful of EVs a year.

Kodak was in a similar position with digital cameras. Their business model was built around the supply chain required to process and print photographs. Film was only a tiny portion of their business. Switching to digital meant that all that processing and all the supplies needed for processing went away and left them with nothing to sell except the occasional memory device and maybe some printer paper for the few pictures people wanted to print.

ICE makers have a tremendous amount of money invested in ICE engines and their dealers as well as a lot of independent shops make a lot of money maintaining ICEs. EVs need less maintenance and ICE makers would have to essentially throw away a huge amount of tech they invested billions developing.

So they make compliance cars to meet requirements governments place on them and try to make those cars as horrible and over priced as possible. The dealers go along with it and do everything they can not to sell them.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Exclusive images preview new 2018 BMW 3 Series, which will arrive with diesel, petrol and electric battery power to take on Tesla Model 3

AFQB07s.jpg

So, they're going to compete with a ground up EV with a multi-platform vehicle that will undoubtedly be produced in small number...and be in no way cost competitive?

Yeah, cheap building materials and only 80 mi range starting at $42k but if you want maps and real time traffic (standard on a Tesla) that'll be nearly $46k (and it doesn't come with a rear view camera unless you spend $1000 more).

I wonder what kind of Model 3 can be bought for that price.
For starters a $35K Model 3 will exceeded 200 miles per charge. For 10K more......I'll have Ludicrous and other options. I can't wait.

Reactions: JeffK

The fact that the platform will share layout with an ICE and an hybrid version will mean the EV layout will be very compromised. Most hybrids that come with regular ICE and hybrid versions have dramatically reduced cargo space in the hybrid version. Cramming 90 KWh batteries in that chassis will probably leave no space left over for anything.

By 2020 Tesla will almost certainly have larger batteries on the Model S/X than 90 KWh. 90 KWh might be the entry level battery by then.

They also probably won't have access to the battery capacity to build very many EV 3 Series even if the demand is there. And it probably won't be there. ICE makers can't afford to build compelling EVs because they don't have access to the battery capacity to build enough pure EVs if the demand suddenly goes up.

I think BMW is going to be in serious trouble by 2020, the Model 3 will likely eat a lot of 3 Series sales and BMW's answer will be anemic and over priced.

They continue to think that people that want EV are blind idiot fools and if you want the "plus" ( the EV ) it's ok and needed to sacrifice something for getting it.
They haden't learned the lesson.

If you force an EV motor into an ICE car you are forced to compromise, and since the car is made for the ICE it's the EV that get the compromise.
If you made a car for EV and then you try to force an ICE motor in it, then it's the ice that get the compromise. (but of course, nobody would do that)

Even when Tesla showed them how to do it easily they continue with their course of action..

But maybe.. maybe they have learned the lession and the new car layout would be "ready" for the 2 mode.. maybe.. but i think it's unlikely

In defence of the i3, the use of high speed carbon fiber composite production is revolutionary. While still expensive, it is far more affordable than what could previously be achieved. While far out, it could replace aluminum in high end lines for BMW, like aluminum replacing steel.

In defence of the i3, the use of high speed carbon fiber composite production is revolutionary. While still expensive, it is far more affordable than what could previously be achieved. While far out, it could replace aluminum in high end lines for BMW, like aluminum replacing steel.

BWM's cheap carbon fiber is apparently heavy and thick. Comparing the i3 to the Nissan Leaf they don't seem to have accomplished "revolutionary". Perhaps their future processes will be better, but aluminum and lightweight steel construction is improving too. There's also no indication that the new carbon fiber process will save money in high volume production which is optimized with steel and/or aluminum.

The fact that the platform will share layout with an ICE and an hybrid version will mean the EV layout will be very compromised. Most hybrids that come with regular ICE and hybrid versions have dramatically reduced cargo space in the hybrid version. Cramming 90 KWh batteries in that chassis will probably leave no space left over for anything.
The hybrid would use the same platform, but the pure EVs will use a separate platform without the unnecessary transmission tunnel of course.

The hybrid would use the same platform, but the pure EVs will use a separate platform without the unnecessary transmission tunnel of course.

A basic definition of a platform in cars, from a technical point of view, includes: underbody and suspensions (with axles) — where the underbody is made of front floor, underfloor, engine compartment and frame (reinforcement of underbody).[5] Key mechanical components that define an automobile platform include:

It either is a 3-series, or it's not a 3-series. So, they are building the BEV version on the same platform...or it's an entirely different vehicle. I haven't seen any indication they aren't using the same platform...but if you have a source please post it.

A basic definition of a platform in cars, from a technical point of view, includes: underbody and suspensions (with axles) — where the underbody is made of front floor, underfloor, engine compartment and frame (reinforcement of underbody).[5] Key mechanical components that define an automobile platform include:

It either is a 3-series, or it's not a 3-series. So, they are building the BEV version on the same platform...or it's an entirely different vehicle. I haven't seen any indication they aren't using the same platform...but if you have a source please post it.
I think you're confusing their cluster architecture which allows key parts to be made with carbon fiber instead of alum/steel with a "platform". The BMW EV, as opposed to the hybrids, will not have a transmission tunnel.