Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW to Tesla šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So Iā€™m new to the Tesla forums. Iā€™ve always been a car junkie lol I first started with my Acura TL and then it was all about BMWs and M power.

Said Iā€™d never go electric but here I amā€¦ about to get my hands on my first ever EV.

Might end up heavily modding the Model Y. Particularly some CF pieces and possibly coilovers but weā€™ll see. Just excited for something new and curious to see how I will get accustomed to not hearing an exhaust note (I use to have a very loud Maserati Quattroporte for a couple of years šŸ˜‚)
Decided Iā€™d open up a thread here to post all the progress/mods I do to the MYP. Iā€™ll also be documenting every mod on instagram @Automaz_

My Config
MYP/Black Ext/White Int/No tow/No FSD
Order Date : 3/22/22
1st EDD : June
2nd EDD : April 22 - May 27

If you guys have any suggestions on modsā€¦ Iā€™d appreciate some recommendations!

Attachments

• 867278CA-0052-4935-9988-132CE5A36D08.jpeg
    867278CA-0052-4935-9988-132CE5A36D08.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 47192BBC-5E22-4F3D-99DD-052C6F6ECC20.jpeg
    47192BBC-5E22-4F3D-99DD-052C6F6ECC20.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 110
If you're ever going to haul bikes around get the factory tow option. Adding a tow aftermarket sucks cuz you nearly have to remove the bumper cap to get to it and aftermarket doesn't tie into the factory harness. Mods, exterior mods generally subtract from the cars great drag coefficient. I second waiting to get a feel for the car first.

Reactions: Automaz_
Will adding the factory tow to my config most likely impact my EDD?
I don't think it will because it can be a service center install in the worse case so adding it to your order saves you the install fee. If you buy it after you have install fee iirc. Also forgot to mention the factory option ties into the firmware enabling tow mode, so you get the wiring harness and mode to control it.

Have an X5 M50I and took delivery of a MYP in Feb that replaced an older X5. Only options for me were factory install of tow, PPF on front hood through A pillars and on the rear passenger doors because of rock chips on highways and then i matched the front into tints to the rear. Other than that just bought rubber floor mats, didnā€™t even bother putting a screen protector on the screen. My impression is just live with it for a while. In some ways, the MYP is like the anti-bimmer (but not necessarily in a bad way). It drives well enough and is insanely practical. Interior is fine but cheap looking. Basically just feels like a daily driver that is meant to be used. Sort of reminds me of when I got a few generations into my iPhone and I stopped caring as much about phones from then on. Donā€™t know how to explain it. Part of me thinks I may just stick with the MYP for the long haul and it will basically be to my family what my parents Camry was for when I was a kid (except this has nice acceleration). The other part of me has a BMW IX 50 on order as well as a Rivian R1S. Test drove the IX 50 and in many ways it solves a lot of my small quibbles about the MYP (no HUD, suspension, lack of rear axel steering, ambient lighting, nice leather, due to the price you wonā€™t see as many on the road, and much better service options). But since you are an M person, I will say the IX feels even more isolated than the Y. Air suspension is amazing and much better than MYP unrefined suspension. Cabin was Soooo silent it was every. But no feeling in the steering. So IX took luxury to the max but sportiness is hard to say (did feel a bit of body roll but wasnā€™t in the sport setting).

Have an X5 M50I and took delivery of a MYP in Feb that replaced an older X5. Only options for me were factory install of tow, PPF on front hood through A pillars and on the rear passenger doors because of rock chips on highways and then i matched the front into tints to the rear. Other than that just bought rubber floor mats, didnā€™t even bother putting a screen protector on the screen. My impression is just live with it for a while. In some ways, the MYP is like the anti-bimmer (but not necessarily in a bad way). It drives well enough and is insanely practical. Interior is fine but cheap looking. Basically just feels like a daily driver that is meant to be used. Sort of reminds me of when I got a few generations into my iPhone and I stopped caring as much about phones from then on. Donā€™t know how to explain it. Part of me thinks I may just stick with the MYP for the long haul and it will basically be to my family what my parents Camry was for when I was a kid (except this has nice acceleration). The other part of me has a BMW IX 50 on order as well as a Rivian R1S. Test drove the IX 50 and in many ways it solves a lot of my small quibbles about the MYP (no HUD, suspension, lack of rear axel steering, ambient lighting, nice leather, due to the price you wonā€™t see as many on the road, and much better service options). But since you are an M person, I will say the IX feels even more isolated than the Y. Air suspension is amazing and much better than MYP unrefined suspension. Cabin was Soooo silent it was every. But no feeling in the steering. So IX took luxury to the max but sportiness is hard to say (did feel a bit of body roll but wasnā€™t in the sport setting).
Thorough review ā€¦ I also do view the MYP as a long term reliable option. I have minimal experience driving a Teslaā€¦the only time I drove one was during the test drive and that was the LR. No idea how the performance will drive but looking forward to it. It feels odd not to hear anything when you start driving the carā€¦. I initially thought car was off during my test drive lol. I looked into getting the ix 50 but that thing is quite hideous. Iā€™m planning on getting the i5 m50 whenever it gets released. Iā€™m hoping the MYP is a little stiff tbh

I donā€™t know, you should probably see the IX50 in person. At least in the US, there is a demo that has gone to most large dealerships. It doesnā€™t look bad in person. I think you should need to get used to it. I know people hated the grill on the M3/M4 and just wanted it to look like the 3 M40 and I disagree now that Iā€™m seeing them on the road. They give it a certain presence or gravitas. The X7 was also initially viewed as ugly and I now find it quite attractive. In person, the IX50 grill looks good from the angle of a standing adult. I think it just looks odd in the photos. I also like the rear (cannot say the same for the x6).

In terms of how it compares to the LR. I was concerned the suspension would be awful on the 21ā€. And in reality, it can be sort of bad and unrefined. But I literally test drove an LR a 2nd time a week before the MYP came (it came early by 3-4 weeks), and I actually found the suspension to be quite similar. I do like that with the batteries it has a low center of gravity for a crossover (minimal body roll) and as long as the roads are decent it feels great. But Iā€™ve also driven on a cobblestone street with it and also hit a pretty bad pot hole once. Neither was fine. The bad pothole literally felt like it reverberated up my spine as well as the passenger (and we were only going 10 mph as we were in traffic). As for the acceleration, its good. I think to some it can be shocking but my other car has a 0-60 of 4.2 sec so it doesnā€™t really seem that much faster to me. Yes the instant torque pulls but the reality is you wonā€™t be doing it that much, or really only when you donā€™t have passengers in the car.

One thing that is odd to me may be the power delivery at higher speeds. There is a lot of acceleration below 50 mph. Say from 70 mph and up, you can easily pass someone but it doesnā€™t really blow me away. In addition at higher speeds, the wind noise really kicks in. And the steering feels a little twitchy for my liking. Not sure how to explain and you probably wonā€™t be going 90 mph+ unless youā€™re on the Autobahn but the Y doesnā€™t feel like it likes to be at 90 mph + for very long. Maybe thatā€™s intentional as it wants you around 70-75 mph to extend its range. It just doesnā€™t feel settled at high speeds. Complete opposite for the X5 m50i. The extra 100hp it has over the MYP makes it feel like it can continue to pull for quite a while. And then the noise isolation of the cabin and steering feel seems to be more prepared for those high speeds. 90 mph feels like 90 mph in a tesla. It does not feel like 90 mph in an X5. I didnā€™t push that fast in my IX50 test drive but did go to 70 mph and the feeling was similar to the X5, feels more confidence inspiring at higher speeds.

Reactions: bob00 and Automaz_
I donā€™t know, you should probably see the IX50 in person. At least in the US, there is a demo that has gone to most large dealerships. It doesnā€™t look bad in person. I think you should need to get used to it. I know people hated the grill on the M3/M4 and just wanted it to look like the 3 M40 and I disagree now that Iā€™m seeing them on the road. They give it a certain presence or gravitas. The X7 was also initially viewed as ugly and I now find it quite attractive. In person, the IX50 grill looks good from the angle of a standing adult. I think it just looks odd in the photos. I also like the rear (cannot say the same for the x6).

In terms of how it compares to the LR. I was concerned the suspension would be awful on the 21ā€. And in reality, it can be sort of bad and unrefined. But I literally test drove an LR a 2nd time a week before the MYP came (it came early by 3-4 weeks), and I actually found the suspension to be quite similar. I do like that with the batteries it has a low center of gravity for a crossover (minimal body roll) and as long as the roads are decent it feels great. But Iā€™ve also driven on a cobblestone street with it and also hit a pretty bad pot hole once. Neither was fine. The bad pothole literally felt like it reverberated up my spine as well as the passenger (and we were only going 10 mph as we were in traffic). As for the acceleration, its good. I think to some it can be shocking but my other car has a 0-60 of 4.2 sec so it doesnā€™t really seem that much faster to me. Yes the instant torque pulls but the reality is you wonā€™t be doing it that much, or really only when you donā€™t have passengers in the car.

One thing that is odd to me may be the power delivery at higher speeds. There is a lot of acceleration below 50 mph. Say from 70 mph and up, you can easily pass someone but it doesnā€™t really blow me away. In addition at higher speeds, the wind noise really kicks in. And the steering feels a little twitchy for my liking. Not sure how to explain and you probably wonā€™t be going 90 mph+ unless youā€™re on the Autobahn but the Y doesnā€™t feel like it likes to be at 90 mph + for very long. Maybe thatā€™s intentional as it wants you around 70-75 mph to extend its range. It just doesnā€™t feel settled at high speeds. Complete opposite for the X5 m50i. The extra 100hp it has over the MYP makes it feel like it can continue to pull for quite a while. And then the noise isolation of the cabin and steering feel seems to be more prepared for those high speeds. 90 mph feels like 90 mph in a tesla. It does not feel like 90 mph in an X5. I didnā€™t push that fast in my IX50 test drive but did go to 70 mph and the feeling was similar to the X5, feels more confidence inspiring at higher speeds.
Thanks for the reviews / comparisons.
We are hoping that the MY will be our ā€œfamilyā€ car - the ā€œCamaryā€ that will sometimes be daily commuter and go to car for the teenagers. Also want to experience the Tesla EV vision firsthand.

We also have an iX 50 on order. My test drive experience mirrors yours. I took it to ~140kmph/90mph or rather ā€œit happenedā€ - the cabin was quiet - it was settled - no wind noise, none of the usual hints that I was WAY over the speed limit (shh.....). Suspension was superb for comfort though did notice some body roll on exiting the highway but this is coming from Mercedes eABC active suspension so maybe comparison is unrealistic. Waiting to hear more about how the iX M60ā€™s M tuned suspension handles - if the body control is significantly better will get that instead. Pictures do not do this car justice.

We got an X5 hybrid 6 weeks ago - our first plug in electric - replaced my wifeā€™s GLE as her daily driver - we love it! It stays in electric mode for most of her daily routine and sheā€™s gotten into the habit of plugging it in when she gets home. Itā€™s never been to the gas station and 40% of the initial fill remains. Being able to precondition the car on cold mornings is really nice too. This one will be our long hauler as the other cars will be electric (when delivered - lol)

Reactions: npa201 and bobbyjae
Thanks for the reviews / comparisons.
We are hoping that the MY will be our ā€œfamilyā€ car - the ā€œCamaryā€ that will sometimes be daily commuter and go to car for the teenagers. Also want to experience the Tesla EV vision firsthand.

We also have an iX 50 on order. My test drive experience mirrors yours. I took it to ~140kmph/90mph or rather ā€œit happenedā€ - the cabin was quiet - it was settled - no wind noise, none of the usual hints that I was WAY over the speed limit (shh.....). Suspension was superb for comfort though did notice some body roll on exiting the highway but this is coming from Mercedes eABC active suspension so maybe comparison is unrealistic. Waiting to hear more about how the iX M60ā€™s M tuned suspension handles - if the body control is significantly better will get that instead. Pictures do not do this car justice.

We got an X5 hybrid 6 weeks ago - our first plug in electric - replaced my wifeā€™s GLE as her daily driver - we love it! It stays in electric mode for most of her daily routine and sheā€™s gotten into the habit of plugging it in when she gets home. Itā€™s never been to the gas station and 40% of the initial fill remains. Being able to precondition the car on cold mornings is really nice too. This one will be our long hauler as the other cars will be electric (when delivered - lol)
Our X5e is coming in a few weeks. How does the car drive in electric only mode? Do the breaks regenerate? Not sure what to expect.

Our X5e is coming in a few weeks. How does the car drive in electric only mode? Do the breaks regenerate? Not sure what to expect.
- starts up in 'hybrid' mode, up to 100kmph or 40% power before the gas motor kicks in - seamless start/stop like the 48v Mercedes, you're not really aware of it starting/stopping
- if you flip to 'electric' (only) mode then it's 140kmph or if you stomp the accel for power
- it stays in hybrid most of the time - makes sense for the gas engine to engage highway speeds (120kmph) where it is efficient and save the battery for local / city driving.
- moves off from stand still with authority but won't win any drag races w/o the gas engine
- smooth, comfortable (air suspension) and quiet though not quite as quiet as I remember of the iX or a cabin w/ Mercedes acoustic package - you can hear slightly more of other cars moving around you etc.
- brakes regen but not enough to bring the car to a complete stop
An EV it is not, but for round town driving and a moderate commute it delivers the savings and pleasure of electric driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Riguy and bobbyjae