Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW touting a P85D killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another plug-in hybrid. Imagine what it could do if it didn't have to haul around an entire second drivetrain while it was running on pure electricity.

Maybe 80 miles range? :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Just shows how threatened BMW feels by the P85D. BMW, who's marketing is focused on performance, has been beaten by the dual drive Model S. Show this pre-prototype vehicle and using the term 'Tesla killer' is just a desperate attempt to keep customers loyal to BMW and hopefully not jump to the Tesla.

+1!

It's a gas car.

Once again a premium German brand proves that Tesla is the one to beat now, the new standard.

Exactly!

That BMW would be quite nice without its gas engine. Imagine it with an free frunk and 200mi+ range. Oh, also, without its transmission tunnel and drive shaft that use so much room in the cabin. But where would they place the idrive controller... Oh wait, maybe add a 17 inches display and remove all the knobs...

It might be able to lap the Ring though... Until a Tesla can without going into limp mode I wouldnt be too disrespectful.

Being able to lap the Ring at maximum possible speeds is a meaningless capability for 99.999% of car buyers, and if the S could do that it would not increase Tesla's sales one bit because Tesla will be production constrained for years.

will be nice to hear how hard you can drive P85D before it limits power. My understanding is TM improved the Ds cooling vs old P85

If our guess about a motor rotor heating lookup table is right, the D should have close to twice the power before limiting kicks in, and recover almost twice as fast. I'm waiting curiously to see what actual P85D track results are like.
Walter

Being able to lap the Ring at maximum possible speeds is a meaningless capability for 99.999% of car buyers, and if the S could do that it would not increase Tesla's sales one bit because Tesla will be production constrained for years.

Well you could argue that straight line performance better than 0-100 km/h in less than 6 seconds is pretty meaningless, but it's still desirable by some.

Looks to me like an M series Volt. Not really a match for the D, though spinning all four wheels on electricity sounds pretty good.

At a reasonable price, potentially a compelling option in places where you need longer trips and there are no suitable Superchargers.

(And just a concept so far.)
Walter

Not a Tesla killer. The D has caused the "Thing" to be still born and BMW doesn't even know it yet!
Indeed. Maybe not for the things being worked on right now, but there will come a time fairly soon where any ICE performance car in development will either be abandoned or arrive on the market and be seriously outclassed by it's EV competition. ICE performance just can't compare at that same price point.

Other ICE cars, non-performance, will eventually be in that situation as well, but it'll be a much longer timeframe. Performance ICE cars are a smaller, expensive niche and that niche is going to be wiped out by EVs quite soon.

I really must wonder if BMW (& others) are avoiding the high-performance Tesla-type EV because they know it will make the rest of their gasoline clunker lineup look silly. :D Which of course leads to: why not just get rid of said clunker lineup and switch entirely to EV? (And supercharger roll out).

I have no idea what your point is. The rest of the world regularly does laps at the Ring? The rest of the world doesn't accelerate from a stop?

No but people who does want a performance car might do laps there or at other tracks. My point being its kind of weird that all people use as a comparison in this thread is 0-60 time. Not lap-times, top speed, suspension etc.

If we are to discuss performance there is a lot more to it than 0-60 that is relevant.

Everyone accelerates from a stop, I've never been involved in an accident caused by being in a car with a bad straight line performance, which a lot of people here to think is a vital safety feature. I'd say it's as much of a safety feature that the car doesn't go in to limp mode when pushed hard...

No but people who does want a performance car might do laps there or at other tracks. My point being its kind of weird that all people use as a comparison in this thread is 0-60 time. Not lap-times, top speed, suspension etc.

If we are to discuss performance there is a lot more to it than 0-60 that is relevant.

Everyone accelerates from a stop, I've never been involved in an accident caused by being in a car with a bad straight line performance, which a lot of people here to think is a vital safety feature. I'd say it's as much of a safety feature that the car doesn't go in to limp mode when pushed hard...

P85 is an M3 killer in a tight track format like autocross
probably would slaughter an M5

limp mode..still has ~ 200hp. not exactly unsafe.

the straight line performance of the S has saved me from needing to do a hard swerve for quite a few close calls, just drop the pedal and get out of the way

Well said...no autobahn's anywhere else, so track performance / autobahn performance is irrelevant...

- - - Updated - - -

ecarfan mentioned those folks...they are the .001%...