Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW tries to fight my Model S - somewhat successful...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, what a nasty story. Almost turns my stomach, seeing such a beautiful car that way (one of ours is black as well, so it hits too close to home)

I guess I'm confused about one thing - even if they did damage the fenders during towing, wouldn't that then also get covered? I mean, the car is already going to need a lot of work, wouldn't they just add that in to the job? I'd not think that you would be returned a car in any less shape than perfect when you got it back. Am I missing something?

It usually doesn't work that way. If the OP can prove (and he can, since he has photos) that the tow truck company screwed up the fenders while towing, they should cover it.

Otherwise, the insurance company is only going to pay to get fixed what was damaged during the accident. My friend hit a deer a while back, insurance paid for everything related to the deer accident. He had a small dent not too far from where the deer hit was, but far enough that it was clearly not part of the accident -- the body shop refused to fix it as it was clearly not related to the deer accident (which makes perfect sense).

It usually doesn't work that way. If the OP can prove (and he can, since he has photos) that the tow truck company screwed up the fenders while towing, they should cover it.

Otherwise, the insurance company is only going to pay to get fixed what was damaged during the accident. My friend hit a deer a while back, insurance paid for everything related to the deer accident. He had a small dent not too far from where the deer hit was, but far enough that it was clearly not part of the accident -- the body shop refused to fix it as it was clearly not related to the deer accident (which makes perfect sense).
WOW didn't know/understand that. HORRIBLE.
Cheers Max thanks for the clarification.

I am a bit surprised most people I show the pictures consider that a total loss. The car is like new, expensive... one could do a lot of repairing for the cost of a new one...

Man, what a nasty story. Almost turns my stomach, seeing such a beautiful car that way (one of ours is black as well, so it hits too close to home)

I guess I'm confused about one thing - even if they did damage the fenders during towing, wouldn't that then also get covered? I mean, the car is already going to need a lot of work, wouldn't they just add that in to the job? I'd not think that you would be returned a car in any less shape than perfect when you got it back. Am I missing something?

No. You do not miss anything. The truck was organised by my insurance company, and the guy started working while I still was talking with the police. I would not accept anything but a perfect car, sure.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the car is a total loss. I had an accident with mine back on August 10. I won't go into details of the accident, but the net result was that the vehicle slid sideways into a curb.

Damaged parts included (all on left side): tires, wheels, hubs, brake rotors, brake calipers, upper and lower control arms, tie rods, trailing links, air suspension, drive shafts, and steering rack. Front left subframe was bent, causing drivers door to creak and stick when opening/closing, this required a body shop to fix. The lower control arm, upper control arm, and brake rotor on the left rear were fractured into pieces.

Took 10 weeks, but I got the car back last Thursday, good as new. Drives perfectly. Did about 300 miles of autopilot driving over the weekend with no problems.

The one thing with mine that may have saved the vehicle from being totaled was that there was no body damage: no panels needed to be replaced, repaired, or repainted.

The one thing with mine that may have saved the vehicle from being totaled was that there was no body damage: no panels needed to be replaced, repaired, or repainted.
That's really the key. Those rear quarters are phenomenally expensive. If you go on the factory tour or check out body in white pictures online you'll see why, as they are the basis for practically the whole side of the car. And this poor vehicle may have one damaged by the accident. The rear door is bent pretty bad, and if it affected the rear quarter (essentially the entire interior of that door including B pillar mount points but not the B pillar itself), it'll need replaced. And given the way it was towed, one or both might have been damaged by the straps.

In the past damaging both nearly guaranteed the vehicle was totaled, as the just those parts gets you up over $40k in repairs. I really hope that's no longer the case, and Tesla's been working to bring repair costs down, but it's certainly a possibility.

Having been fixing cars for 25 years-Doesn't look that bad to me. Need to check the wheel.

If the mechanical damage was confined to the lower ball joint, looks replacing that item would make the car drivable.

The lower ball joint could be part of a lower arm assembly, but really this is no big drama. It is almost a service item anyway.

Looks like a waste of a good car to write it off.

Tyre/wheel looks OK, doors bolt off an a couple of minutes new ones attach in a couple of minutes.

Shallow dent around the rear quarter? pull it out fill it and paint it. Same as fixing any other high end car.

Front fender? replace it.

Nothing like making a mountain out of a molehill.

Of course I could be completely wrong without standing next to it, but we know it was a low speed impact.

Noooooo! Sorry for the t-bone you took. I'd be pissed too.

While fixing it, you could take the opportunity to do some personalization that Tesla doesn't offer! I would:
1) Zebra-pattern car seats
2) Jacks to make the car hop at car shows
3) Fuzzy dice or bikini bottoms on the rear-view mirror
4) One of those eardrum-crushing sub-woofers played so loud any words are impossible to understand
5) Flamethrower out the back (will need to install a tailpipe)

Whatcha think?