Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW using a brushed motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners: 🙈 🙉 🙊

The iX 50 (not even the "real M EV" M60 version) handles far better than any Tesla. I don't know what BMW is doing with the suspension but it's light years ahead of anything Tesla is able to hobble together. You should go drive one if you aren't afraid of falling out of love with your Tesla.

German EVs are less expensive than Teslas. Win win.
If that's what you want to believe, go ahead. BMW can't beat physics.

And again, I'm not saying Teslas handle spectacularly stock. My (BMW) M3 is in a completely different league than the M3P when it comes to handling. But of all the things the iX is, a performance car is not one of them. The i4 doesn't exactly handle great either - I deliberately bought the M3P over that. i4 M50 was my original choice, but was disappointing.

Be it as it may, and even though I do not believe the iX to be particularly appealing, it is certainly on my shortlist to replace my S later this year. I read some reviews about it and it appears to be super to drive. I just do not understand how they managed to get such a small boot in such a large car, and no frunk. Still: have to check it out!

This whole discussion about brushed motors and the details that have been provided by @AmpedRealtor are really helpful and made me understand that the brushed motor type BMW uses it not the one I initially thought it was.

(PS: others on the shortlist are the Model Y and the Porsche Taycan CT).

Reactions: SalisburySam
Be it as it may, and even though I do not believe the iX to be particularly appealing, it is certainly on my shortlist to replace my S later this year. I read some reviews about it and it appears to be super to drive. I just do not understand how they managed to get such a small boot in such a large car, and no frunk. Still: have to check it out!

This whole discussion about brushed motors and the details that have been provided by @AmpedRealtor are really helpful and made me understand that the brushed motor type BMW uses it not the one I initially thought it was.

(PS: others on the shortlist are the Model Y and the Porsche Taycan CT).
The boot is disappointingly small. Also, there is a lot of fancy plastic on the 5th door that steal even more space, and the hinges. But rear seats are the biggest I have seen, and seats in general was very good. Well worth a test drive. The heated armrests are fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsopreis
Recent BMWs really do not handle all that well. They "feel" like they have taught handling, but that often disappears at the limits, where they do not produce better numbers than other performance brands.

Owners need to modify the heck (expensive) out of their Beemers if they want to perform at a track. Porshe seems to be the company that is offering great handling from their factory cars. Believe that BMW has lost their way.

Tesla offers pretty good handling vehicle for most owners. Their latest Adaptive air suspensions on S and X offer a tremendous combination of great handling with wonderful comfort. They also have the benefit of being able to lower for handling, or raise up for deep snow or mild off road travel.

I get that this is a Tesla echo chamber and to expect irrational negativity towards other brands, but the banter here couldn't be more uninformed. BMW's motors are 3-phase AC synchronous motors and the brush is of a slip ring design that only delivers a small DC excitation current to the rotor. It's nothing like the "DC brushed motors" that some here are using as comparison. BMW's radical new design allows for very fine control of power and torque—far more than Tesla's induction motors. BMW's design also allows for true coasting that is impossible with magnet motors.

The part in question is also located on the side of the motor that is accessible for servicing. How serviceable are Tesla's drive units? 🤣 Model S goes through an average of one motor replacement every 25,000 miles. There is something seriously wrong with Tesla's design and engineering. My impression of Tesla engineering is a room filled with farting teenagers playing video games.

BMW's magnet-free design is more resilient to supply chain issues and less reliant on China. The less anyone depends on China the better. There are no rare earth metals used in the BMW iX. To head off the poorly informed, the lithium and cobalt used in batteries are not rare earth metals. China is the #1 producer of rare earth metals used in magnets, such as neodymium.

The Tesla faithful point to a marginally faster 0-60 time for their favorite brand, but what they neglect to mention is that no Tesla has a properly designed suspension to actually handle that acceleration. The suspensions are identical whether you get the base model or the P. The only difference is the P might be a few tenths of an inch lower, which on its own does not create a performance suspension except in Tesla's imagination.

The car least capable of handling its power output is the Plaid. Try some cornering in that jalopy and you'll know what I'm talking about. It can't even hold a straight line when accelerating due to torque steer. This is due to poorly designed suspension geometry and vehicle dynamics. To get decent braking for a Plaid you have to spend $20k on upgraded brakes that other performance brands already include.

This one-time Tesla owner and fan sold his Model S and ordered a BMW iX M60. I did it over the phone with the local BMW dealer. No markup. No BS. And no reservation fee! I can no longer support a company like Tesla, where a true performance driving experience and vehicle dynamics don't even make it onto Elon's to-do list. The non-existent sound dampening and rough suspensions in Teslas should be embarrassing to all of you. Keep patting yourselves on the back for making misinformed comments.

The car ownership experience and thrill of driving encompasses far more than just a fast 0-60 time. People who value quality materials, fit and finish, build quality, and a refined driving experience will not buy a Tesla. My client dumped his Model S in favor of an Audi e-tron GT and he's never looking back. He said his Tesla was a dumpster fire by comparison. And before you take another swig of koolaid and start quoting the e-tron's EPA range, you probably had no clue that real-world range is closer to 300 miles and significantly higher than EPA rating. Tell me, how many of you have actually hit Tesla's EPA range, ever?

It might behoove some of you to open your minds. Maybe it's been so long since you've driven a properly designed vehicle that you no longer remember how that feels and sounds.
I respect the counter points. As a previous BMW owner of many models, I agree. In fact I’m considering the i4 as my next EV if I don’t get the Cybertruck that is.

I spent a long time looking into the Model 3, but ultimately decided on an i4 edrive40. The overall driving experience / adaptive suspension was in another league (and I'm not a BMW fanboy, never owned a car more than half as expensive as either the Model 3 or i4).

I have to echo that coasting is more efficient than regen braking when you actually mean to coast, not stop. The adaptive regen braking is also getting rave reviews; it seems as though the car will generally be able to tell the difference between when you want to coast and when you actually want to brake.

Reactions: E90alex
"At BMW, the current gets into the rotor via brushes and sliding contacts - that sounds prone to wear and tear and it was in the past. However, BMW describes its machine as wear-free because it is designed for 15 years (or 8000 operating hours). That corresponds to a mileage of around 300,000 kilometers. In numerous endurance runs, mileages of more than 1 million kilometers have even been proven. A service concept for changing the brush holder has also been developed. In other words, should the brushes ever become defective, they can be easily replaced."

"At BMW, the current gets into the rotor via brushes and sliding contacts - that sounds prone to wear and tear and it was in the past. However, BMW describes its machine as wear-free because it is designed for 15 years (or 8000 operating hours). That corresponds to a mileage of around 300,000 kilometers. In numerous endurance runs, mileages of more than 1 million kilometers have even been proven. A service concept for changing the brush holder has also been developed. In other words, should the brushes ever become defective, they can be easily replaced."

I know things get lost in translation....but there are a few ‘shoulds’ and ‘concepts’ in that statement that don’t fill me with confidence.
I’ve had brushes that should last years, wear out very quickly....and all that black carbon dust....

Reactions: kayak1
And BMW almost certainly does.

And BMW thinks the brushes will last at least 186k miles and have designed the powertrain for easy replacement.
How would an owner know if "brushes" were a problem? Know the cost? or know what a "fair" replacement price would be?

The dream of RoboTaxi service -- costs & wait times reasonable -- as an alternative to ownership seems a fine idea.

How would an owner know if "brushes" were a problem? Know the cost? or know what a "fair" replacement price would be?

The dream of RoboTaxi service -- costs & wait times reasonable -- as an alternative to ownership seems a fine idea.

How would an owner know if a 4860 cell/s or structural pack are problem? Know the cost? Or what a fair replacement price would be?

The dream of World Peace and Global Equality seems like a fine idea too.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando

Having owned several BMWs... I would be very wary of any claims of components lasting the life of the car. They tend to be very optimistic there.