TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW & VW team up with Chargepoint to create high speed EV charging network

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by yobigd20, Jan 22, 2015.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#1 yobigd20, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

When the BMW exec said that "Tesla isn't going to like this..." I was hoping for something special. Unfortunately it's only 100. If they built more of them Tesla would love it and I'm sure would happily develop a CCS adapter (which would be much easier than CHAdeMO).

As long as manufacturers stick to 50kW and below, it means they're sticking to city cars and Tesla will have long-distance BEV to itself.

3. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

Are they free? Or just another profit scheme?

4. Ktowntslafan

Ktowntslafan Member

#4 Ktowntslafan, Jan 22, 2015
    EM:

Hey Guys!

We are building a global Supercharger network! Any and all of you are welcome to join in. I think electric cars will be good for everyone, don't you? The whole global warming thing is getting pretty scary. Anyways, we've built a pretty decent car...happy to talk about it and help you guys produce something similar. If you don't want us involved, that's cool...here are our patents. Call me anytime.

BIG AUTO:

LET'S GET THIS GUY! WHO'S IN?
    _____

Reminds me of children in the school yard. Although, this may just nudge one or two of the others Tesla's way...?

This is when I decide to never buy a BMW or VW in my lifetime.

5. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

I just read the article. I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this... but someone needs to fire the execs at BMW and try again. There is no way Tesla can service the entire car market themselves, so what is the threat to getting in bed with them and helping the SC network. How can you say that driving for an hour and having to stop for 20 minutes is a good deal. The execs should have said to the engineers, "if you come back with a charging rate under 120kw you're fired" I mean seriously. The car company that decides to leverage the Tesla tech will leap frog ahead of the others. I just don't get it.

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

BMW and VW are clearly looking at the "commuter car" segment only. Want an eGolf in Chicago or Florida, find another charging network...

7. wws

wws Member

Not mentioned is if any are multi-standard chargers with both CCS and CHAdeMO. If I were funding chargers I would install multi-standard ones to help defray the costs much faster due to the larger number of cars that could use the services. Seems like a no-brainer. One would hope Chargepoint would insist on it. But I guess if BMW and VW are the sole financiers of the project, and willing to run it at a loss for a longer while, they could make it CCS only.

8. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Challenging Tesla? Not even close. Less powerful, less abundant and NOT free. How is that challenging Tesla?

9. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

This whole paragraph annoyed me in the Verge article. Should have made it more clear that it is at least 2 times slower than the Supercharger. 80% of a i3's battery is 15.04kWh that takes 20 minutes to charge to that point. Compare that to the 68kWh 80% point of a 85kWh pack that does 80% in the 30 minute range.

10. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

lol, 2.4x slower plus not free = not competition, especially when Tesla can use them.

11. tess1988

tess1988 Member

#11 tess1988, Jan 22, 2015
    i wonder who sets the price and if it will change from one station to another.

some other questions will bmw include chargenow cards with there upcoming plug-in hybrid's and we will see if bmw includes charging included in there lease, or for a certain amount of time.
    at the end of the day its better they are doing something now then doing nothing.

EDIT: also VW owns alot of brands including audi and porsche so i think it would be smart to trial unlimited charging on some of there upcoming/current plug ins with higher profit margins.

12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing too. Why would Tesla not like it if they can easily make an adapter to use the network? That would only be true if they lock the network to BMW/VW drivers only, but it doesn't appear to be the case (Chargepoint wouldn't agree to do that anyways).

Side note is that personally I'm happy to see this finally happen. Even though 50kW max is a buzz-kill, it's still much better than the current DC charging desert on I-5 (outside of Tesla superchargers). And I have hope that the CCS adapter will be much cheaper than the CHAdeMO, so I'm rooting for more CCS chargers to be installed in the US.

13. Ktowntslafan

Ktowntslafan Member

I'm I the only one who see's this as a partnership aimed at burying Tesla?

14. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

You're probably not the only one but I don't think that's the right way to read this. BMW recognizes that a "fast" charge infrastructure, supported by the manufacturer, is a necessary requirement for higher volume, mainstream EV sales. I can't fathom, however, why they feel 50kW is sufficient. Is something like this easily upgradeable to higher power once larger capacity batteries come on line? Because the alternative is that their battery capacities will remain in the 35kWh range.

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

50 AMPS wow - try 250 AMPS

50 AMPS is pedestrian - time is money!

16. Obsoletion

Obsoletion Member

I'm thinking that their smaller battery packs cannot handle more than 50kw or they don't have the pack cooling Tesla has... Or both

17. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I wish the government would step in and set charging standards for cars. Chargepoint and 50 AMPS does not get me excited about in route charging -- destination ok, but not during long range travel.

18. Ktowntslafan

Ktowntslafan Member

Is this not exactly what Tesla is offering to all car manufacturers? Why partner with another ICE company when Tesla is the clear leader in EV tech and infrastructure?

BMW and Audi are suddenly bedfellows? Working together to accelerate the adoption of EV's? I think not.

LET'S GET HIM! WHO'S IN?

19. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

ChargePoint teaming with BMW and VW means nothing. ChargePoint is looking to develop new business. They have spread the cost of developing that business to others. Tesla would be wise to endorse the effort but need not put cash in to the effort.
    Like every cell tower adds to the value of your cell phone, every new charging location is an asset to Tesla owners and as such, adding value to the Tesla brand.

20. Ktowntslafan

Ktowntslafan Member

I don't believe that ChargePoint has the clout to "team up" with BMW and VW. It is BMW and VW who are "teaming up". ChargePoint is simply a convenient entry point and will be acquired if things pan out...or tossed aside if they do not. This is a consortium to defeat Tesla's business model so everyone can get back to making money for their shareholders. ICE=$$$.

I do feel bad for ChargePoint...it seems like their ambitions are to improve the planet...but how do you compete with free charging? I think ChargePoint should circle back around and have a chat with Tesla. At least they know each other is in it for the long haul.