Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW & VW team up with Chargepoint to create high speed EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the BMW exec said that "Tesla isn't going to like this..." I was hoping for something special. Unfortunately it's only 100. If they built more of them Tesla would love it and I'm sure would happily develop a CCS adapter (which would be much easier than CHAdeMO).

As long as manufacturers stick to 50kW and below, it means they're sticking to city cars and Tesla will have long-distance BEV to itself.

EM:

Hey Guys!

We are building a global Supercharger network! Any and all of you are welcome to join in. I think electric cars will be good for everyone, don't you? The whole global warming thing is getting pretty scary. Anyways, we've built a pretty decent car...happy to talk about it and help you guys produce something similar. If you don't want us involved, that's cool...here are our patents. Call me anytime.

BIG AUTO:

LET'S GET THIS GUY! WHO'S IN?
_____

Reminds me of children in the school yard. Although, this may just nudge one or two of the others Tesla's way...?

This is when I decide to never buy a BMW or VW in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I just read the article. I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this... but someone needs to fire the execs at BMW and try again. There is no way Tesla can service the entire car market themselves, so what is the threat to getting in bed with them and helping the SC network. How can you say that driving for an hour and having to stop for 20 minutes is a good deal. The execs should have said to the engineers, "if you come back with a charging rate under 120kw you're fired" I mean seriously. The car company that decides to leverage the Tesla tech will leap frog ahead of the others. I just don't get it.

I just read the article. I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this... but someone needs to fire the execs at BMW and try again. There is no way Tesla can service the entire car market themselves, so what is the threat to getting in bed with them and helping the SC network. How can you say that driving for an hour and having to stop for 20 minutes is a good deal. The execs should have said to the engineers, "if you come back with a charging rate under 120kw you're fired" I mean seriously. The car company that decides to leverage the Tesla tech will leap frog ahead of the others. I just don't get it.

BMW and VW are clearly looking at the "commuter car" segment only. Want an eGolf in Chicago or Florida, find another charging network...

Not mentioned is if any are multi-standard chargers with both CCS and CHAdeMO. If I were funding chargers I would install multi-standard ones to help defray the costs much faster due to the larger number of cars that could use the services. Seems like a no-brainer. One would hope Chargepoint would insist on it. But I guess if BMW and VW are the sole financiers of the project, and willing to run it at a loss for a longer while, they could make it CCS only.

This whole paragraph annoyed me in the Verge article. Should have made it more clear that it is at least 2 times slower than the Supercharger. 80% of a i3's battery is 15.04kWh that takes 20 minutes to charge to that point. Compare that to the 68kWh 80% point of a 85kWh pack that does 80% in the 30 minute range.

What makes the announcement significant is that these units are a cut above the 240-volt Level 2 chargers found scattered throughout the country: they use 500-volt DC Fast Charge, which are capable of recharging both the BMW i3 and the Volkswagen e-Golf to 80 percent in 20 minutes. That compares to 40 minutes to reach 80 percent in an 85 kWh Model S using Tesla's proprietary Supercharger network, though the battery capacity of the Model S is significantly larger: on a dual-motor 85D model, that would work out to around 216 miles of range. By contrast, neither the i3 nor the e-Golf will reach 90 miles on a completely full charge.

i wonder who sets the price and if it will change from one station to another.

some other questions will bmw include chargenow cards with there upcoming plug-in hybrid's and we will see if bmw includes charging included in there lease, or for a certain amount of time.
at the end of the day its better they are doing something now then doing nothing.

EDIT: also VW owns alot of brands including audi and porsche so i think it would be smart to trial unlimited charging on some of there upcoming/current plug ins with higher profit margins.

Last edited:
When the BMW exec said that "Tesla isn't going to like this..." I was hoping for something special. Unfortunately it's only 100. If they built more of them Tesla would love it and I'm sure would happily develop a CCS adapter (which would be much easier than CHAdeMO).
I thought the same thing too. Why would Tesla not like it if they can easily make an adapter to use the network? That would only be true if they lock the network to BMW/VW drivers only, but it doesn't appear to be the case (Chargepoint wouldn't agree to do that anyways).

Side note is that personally I'm happy to see this finally happen. Even though 50kW max is a buzz-kill, it's still much better than the current DC charging desert on I-5 (outside of Tesla superchargers). And I have hope that the CCS adapter will be much cheaper than the CHAdeMO, so I'm rooting for more CCS chargers to be installed in the US.

Side note is that personally I'm happy to see this finally happen. Even though 50kW max is a buzz-kill, it's still much better than the current DC charging desert on I-5 (outside of Tesla superchargers). And I have hope that the CCS adapter will be much cheaper than the CHAdeMO, so I'm rooting for more CCS chargers to be installed in the US.

I'm I the only one who see's this as a partnership aimed at burying Tesla?

I'm I the only one who see's this as a partnership aimed at burying Tesla?

You're probably not the only one but I don't think that's the right way to read this. BMW recognizes that a "fast" charge infrastructure, supported by the manufacturer, is a necessary requirement for higher volume, mainstream EV sales. I can't fathom, however, why they feel 50kW is sufficient. Is something like this easily upgradeable to higher power once larger capacity batteries come on line? Because the alternative is that their battery capacities will remain in the 35kWh range.

BMW recognizes that a "fast" charge infrastructure, supported by the manufacturer, is a necessary requirement for higher volume, mainstream EV sales.

Is this not exactly what Tesla is offering to all car manufacturers? Why partner with another ICE company when Tesla is the clear leader in EV tech and infrastructure?

BMW and Audi are suddenly bedfellows? Working together to accelerate the adoption of EV's? I think not.

LET'S GET HIM! WHO'S IN?

ChargePoint teaming with BMW and VW means nothing. ChargePoint is looking to develop new business. They have spread the cost of developing that business to others. Tesla would be wise to endorse the effort but need not put cash in to the effort.
Like every cell tower adds to the value of your cell phone, every new charging location is an asset to Tesla owners and as such, adding value to the Tesla brand.

ChargePoint teaming with BMW and VW means nothing. ChargePoint is looking to develop new business. They have spread the cost of developing that business to others. Tesla would be wise to endorse the effort but need not put cash in to the effort.
Like every cell tower adds to the value of your cell phone, every new charging location is an asset to Tesla owners and as such, adding value to the Tesla brand.

I don't believe that ChargePoint has the clout to "team up" with BMW and VW. It is BMW and VW who are "teaming up". ChargePoint is simply a convenient entry point and will be acquired if things pan out...or tossed aside if they do not. This is a consortium to defeat Tesla's business model so everyone can get back to making money for their shareholders. ICE=$$$.

I do feel bad for ChargePoint...it seems like their ambitions are to improve the planet...but how do you compete with free charging? I think ChargePoint should circle back around and have a chat with Tesla. At least they know each other is in it for the long haul.