Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW & VW team up with Chargepoint to create high speed EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm I the only one who see's this as a partnership aimed at burying Tesla?

I agree, but fortunately for Tesla there's a big difference between aiming and hitting. For most consumers, Tesla's battery capacity and supercharging rate are barely adequate for long-distance travel. Having to charge for 20 minutes every hour would be an agonizing way to travel and would require several times as many charging stations to even make it possible.

Since Tesla can apparently relatively easily offer a CCS adapter, Tesla owners win regardless. Huge shot at Nissan and now Kia.

It is a little ironic that the company that purports to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine" is investing in a new DCFC solution that is no where close to the performance of Teslas existing network though.

VW and BMW won't make cars like tesla until the scales of economics tip and it's cheaper for them to produce an EV. Because until that happens they would be eating away at their own profit.
Tesla on the other hand have to convince people that EVs are the future, so they have all the incentive in the world, plus the companies future" to build the best EV possible and a charging network that will make the car viable to compete with an ICE traveling long distance.
Anyone who thinks the Germans can't build a "proper EV" really have their head in the sand. At the moment they don't want to. And that decision could be partly political as well.

This just looks like a logical part of their small but growing EV plans. All car companies are going to get involved with charging networks sooner or later; it's like app stores and phones. It is the media that insists on seeing this as an "anti-Tesla" play, mainly because having Tesla as a keyword in your article brings lots of hits. If they just reported "BMW and VW give some money to Chargepoint to accelerate their network growth", it wouldn't be very newsworthy.

Is this not exactly what Tesla is offering to all car manufacturers? Why partner with another ICE company when Tesla is the clear leader in EV tech and infrastructure?

BMW and Audi are suddenly bedfellows? Working together to accelerate the adoption of EV's? I think not.

LET'S GET HIM! WHO'S IN?

They are both building PEV which use the CCS standard, which is a standard agree by US and European manufacturers. (The AC socket's different, but the protocol is the same). It's natural that they'd work together on the chargers. Manufacturers collaborate frequently.

At the moment, neither company is making a car that charges fast enough to use the Supercharger network.

I guess you could see it one of (edited) three ways:
- They have no interest in long-range BEV.
- If they make long-range BEV in the future they'll use Tesla's network. So they've chosen the cheap 50kW option for now, knowing that it's mainly a psychological crutch rather than a network for long-distance travel.
- If they make long-range BEVs in the future they'll copy the Supercharger network idea and build their own CCS network.

Last edited:
50 kW is now, it doesn't mean that will stay that way. Once larger capacity EV are produced by Audi and BMW these charging stations can be upgraded. So I wouldn't be too hung up on the 50 kW limit.
Elon said others can join the Supercharging network, but they would have to pay of course. There is no 'free in' for others. It is very unlikely that BMW or any other car brand, is excited about sending all their customers to charging stations that have written Tesla all over them. So it's not like Superchargers are very attractive to other car brands.

50 kW is now, it doesn't mean that will stay that way. Once larger capacity EV are produced by Audi and BMW these charging stations can be upgraded. So I wouldn't be too hung up on the 50 kW limit.
Elon said others can join the Supercharging network, but they would have to pay of course. There is no 'free in' for others. It is very unlikely that BMW or any other car brand, is excited about sending all their customers to charging stations that have written Tesla all over them. So it's not like Superchargers are very attractive to other car brands.

Can they? Can they easily add another 450kW or more of service at those locations so they can add additional chargers for the extra people with actual long-distance BEVs that aren't going to want to leave the car at home to make their longer trip?

There is no 'free in', EM has been upfront about that. Is it a 'free in' with ChargePoint or is BMW/VW throwing some money at it?

I'm sure co-branding the SC's would be part of the discussion if anyone opted in.

According to Tom Moloughney's BMW i3 Blog, quoted below, the main corridor chargers will be dual head CCS & CHAdeMO 50kW chargers. BMW developed 24kW chargers will be placed off the main arteries.

BMWi3 Blog said:
On the East coast, there will be locations approximately every 50 miles between Washington DC and Boston, and on the West coast the new "CCS Highway" will span from San Diego, CA all the way to Portland OR. All of these locations will feature 50kW dual-head Fast Charge stations, including CHAdeMO charging capabilities as well as CCS. In addition, these locations will have multiple Level 2 ChargePoint EVSE's, allowing the user to "top off" once the vehicle reaches 80% state of charge from the DC fast charger.

In addition to the "CCS Highway" locations, BMW is also going to install a network of their 24kW DC Fast Chargers at secondary locations which are somewhat off of the main arteries.
Also, there was reference in posts above to 50 Amps, which is incorrect. The Efacec units that will be used in this "CCS Highway" project deliver up to 500V and up to 125A. Since most batteries top out at 400V, they only deliver up to 50kW. This unit has been deployed at the VW facility in Belmont, CA for quite some time already.

According to Tom Moloughney's BMW i3 Blog, quoted below, the main corridor chargers will be dual head CCS & CHAdeMO 50kW chargers. BMW developed 24kW chargers will be placed off the main arteries.

Also, there was reference in posts above to 50 Amps, which is incorrect. The Efacec units that will be used in this "CCS Highway" project deliver up to 500V and up to 125A. Since most batteries top out at 400V, they only deliver up to 50kW. This unit has been deployed at the VW facility in Belmont, CA for quite some time already.

So, 62.5kW chargers? Oh well. At least maybe they're taking a constructive approach. I do like that they're focused on DC rather than AC for public charging, even with the 22kW chargers.