TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Boar's Head Inn--Charging?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by JST, May 12, 2016.

1. JST

JST Active Member

Anyone know what the charging options are at the Boars Head Inn in Charlottesville?

Front Desk says they have a charger, but can't give me any details. Nothing on Plugshare or Chargepoint.

2. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

"We asked the Boar's Head if they had a 220 charger to charge our Tesla and they said yes. Well, it turned out it was a 110 outlet and didn't charge the car enough. They went to the trouble of getting an electrician and putting in a correct plug so that we could charge the car. I have to say the amount of effort they went to in order to accommodate us was extraordinary. The hotel is our favorite place to stay when visiting our son at UVA. It is the most beautiful and authentic historic inn in the area. The food is superb and the rooms are lovely. I highly recommend the Boar's Head."
    --TripAdvisor, November 2015

• Like x 1
  3. JST

JST Active Member

Ugh, if it's a 110 outlet, I guess I am taking the ICE.

Thanks!

4. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

The way I'm reading it is they rigged a 240V outlet for them.

Also, UVa has EV chargers in their parking structures.

5. JST

JST Active Member

You may be right, but I've now called 4 different times and still can't get a confirmation. The last person I talked to seemingly had never heard the term "electric car charger" before.

ICE it is. Disappointing. It's not enough to install EVSEs--you've got to actually tell people you have one.

6. harry

harry Member

I don't know how large a facility the Boar's Head Inn is, but for larger hotels it is very common for the front desk staff to have no idea what you are taking about when you ask about charging stations.

• Like x 2
  7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

What about calling and asking for the facilities person? They probably know more than the front desk about any custom electrical work that was done.

8. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

Well, if you're going to be in the area, why not stop by, find out for sure and post it on Plugshare so the next person doesn't have to go through the same frustration you're feeling now?

• Love x 1
  9. JST

JST Active Member

Ok, the hotel does have a plug, but it is a NEMA 14-30, rather than a 14-50. Of course I do not have a 14-30 adapter.

I will update Plugshare.

10. PKnova

PKnova New Member

If you're facing the entrance the 100 outlet is to the right in a smaller parking lot for their vehicles. It's mounted on a short brick wall. The NEMA 14-30 is to the left of it and it took me a few minutes of trying before I realized it wasn't a 14-50.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1