Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bob Lutz - Madison Avenue & Wall Street [Profits & Marketing first]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great insights into the the American Auto Industry by the great: Bob Lutz (another immigrant?) Former Marine Pilot
Bob Lutz is a Swiss/American automotive executive. Starting at GM; Ford in Europe then to BMW. Bob served as a top leader of all of the United States Big Three, having been in succession executive vice president of Ford Motor Company, president and then vice chairman of Chrysler Corporation, and vice chairman of General Motors. Wikipedia

Bob came up thru sales/marketing to the executive suite of the Automotive Industry. A Legend.
Bob worked with Franz von Holzhausen when he designed the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice.

Von Holzhausen started his career with Volkswagen in 1992 where he worked on the designs for the Microbus and the New Beetle concept project, known as "Concept One," under design lead J Mays.[3]. He then moved to General Motors in 2000 as a design manager where he worked on the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.[4]
After taking his role at Mazda on February 21, 2005, von Holzhausen led the designs of the Mazda Kabura concept car that debuted at the 2006 North American International Auto Show and the 2008 Mazda Furai concept unveiled at Detroit.[5]
Then Franz went on to Tesla designing the Model S, the Model X, the Model 3,[6] and the new Tesla Roadster.[7]

The future has arrived. Corvette forced to go mid engine to compete ?
Who will make the Corvette twin cam heads [the 4 cammer Chevy V-8] ?
Who made Indy race engines for both Honda and Chevy ?

At the very, very end - sound cuts out, but then gets fixed for one final statement/view of Tesla.
Madison Av/Wall Street; Marketing/Profits vs the Product.
Bob Lutz (American Auto Industry) vs Elon Musk (the future you want to wake up to)
Bob still has some fine insights - even if I think he doesn't get Tesla. I think you'll enjoy.

I think this show is a fine example of "Madison Avenue directed product development". Contrast this to Elon's back to basics and create the best/most compelling electrified vehicle you can and continuous improvement with safety first.

AND I think worth watching this Tesla Model 3 Sandy Munro tear down talk with our "hindsite" from mid November 2018.
and this also gives insight of typical "Auto Industry Madison Avenue & Wall St." view.
To be fair, Sandy after learning more, he ate crow and better understands that safety is a primary reason for Model 3 to be "over built and heavier than need be".

Last edited: