Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starbase: Boca Chica/Brownsville SpaceX Site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe. But BFR isn’t just a bigger Falcon rocket with more engines; it includes the largest crew compartment space ever contstructed in any spacecraft, and to make that project even more difficult, it is the first ever crewed ship designed to go to Mars and return. Neither SpaceX nor any other organization on Earth has ever attempted to build a vehicle like that. SpaceX does not have essentially unlimited resources like Blue Origin does. It’s going to be incredibly difficult, and there are going to be numerous unforeseen problems and delays.
So while I believe it likely that SpaceX will get a BFR with a few people on it to LEO and return it safely to Earth by 2022, I do not believe it likely at all that by 2028 BFRs will be launching “far more than a dozen times a year”. If there are two BFR launches a year by then I will consider that a real success! Of course I could be wrong about what will happen in the future. ;)

No disagreement that developing BFR/BFS will be challenging in some ways beyond the ones overcome in building F9 and FH.
Always refreshing on TMC for posters to admit the possibility of being wrong! I may well be wrong to think it will be operating frequently sooner than ten years out. However...
The rocket design and manufacturing conventional wisdom was that landing and reusing boosters wasn't possible and not worth trying. Over 4 years or so, SpaceX figured it out and since the first success there have only been one or a few misses. They surmounted the challenges with less resources than available now and much less than they will have to complete BFR.

Designing a much larger crew compartment space will in some ways be more challenging than Dragon 2 and in some less. But, cramming as many subsystems into a small capsule is complex and hard. And expensive. Removing the space constraints relieves some of that. Dragon 2 must handle many of the same tasks as BFS. Navigation, docking, life support, reentry heat shielding, etc. Yet it was developed by just a portion of SpaceX staff over 4 - 5 years. Not suggesting BFS won't have to do all those things longer, bigger, better, etc., Just saying it's solutions will be built on the company's very substantial skill and knowledge base.

If all the parts are built, tested and integrated over the next five years, I don't think Elon and Gwynn will be slow to find launch jobs for it.
Early Mars missions, launching more StarLink satellites and space tourism are all likely to be in that mix. Hopefully my optimism is not too misplaced! :)

If BFR hits the fully reusable benchmark, there is no advantage to using the F9 instead. If they get the turn around time low like F9, two BFR could do 24 mission a year.
We know that SpaceX hopes to phase out the F9 over time. I’m just saying that the BFR is a completely new vehicle and of a scale that no one has ever built before. We also know that Elon’s time lines are, using his own word, “aspirational” and in reality rarely achieved. I’m confident that the BFR will get built, will fly successfully, and will be reusable as planned. I am less sure of what the timeline will be.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
We know that SpaceX hopes to phase out the F9 over time. I’m just saying that the BFR is a completely new vehicle and of a scale that no one has ever built before. We also know that Elon’s time lines are, using his own word, “aspirational” and in reality rarely achieved. I’m confident that the BFR will get built, will fly successfully, and will be reusable as planned. I am less sure of what the timeline will be.

Gotcha.
When they have 2 tested and proven BFRs, they'll do dozens of launches per month.

Nice thing is, unless there is a failure, testing will be cheap (materials wise).

Looks like this is resolved for now. Until the next budget fight in the fall.
Shutdown deal includes language to protect a butterfly sanctuary and other landmarks from border barrier

The landmarks include major wildlife areas like the National Butterfly Center, a 100-acre nature preserve that attracts hundreds of butterfly species. The center filed a restraining order late Monday night to prevent the federal government from building a barrier on its property or crossing through it to build elsewhere — but a judge dismissed their case on Thursday.

Other places that would be off-limits for fencing are:

• Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, an internationally recognized spot for bird watching
  • The Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, which was exempted from border barriers in last year’s budget
  • La Lomita, a historic Catholic chapel that lost a court fight a week ago to prevent the government from surveying the chapel’s land
  • A tract of land that will soon be home to the commercial spaceport for SpaceX, a space transportation company in which Tesla founder Elon Musk is the lead designer

Interesting article that delves into the numerous challenges SpaceX has been grinding through at their Boca Chica site.
SpaceX is staking its future on a spaceport in south Texas. The people who live inside it are just one of Elon Musk's problems.
Covers SpaceX/Boca Chica from A to Z. Tackling their discovery that there's zip for bedrock to assuaging nervous neighbors. (Didn't realize that some of these folks live only 1.5 miles from ground zero.) The opening photo was taken by a local resident. Images like this have me wondering if there's any sci-fi movie producers looking at Boca Chica for a potential location shoot.
Boca Chica.jpg

An unusual SpaceX job posting was picked up yesterday by Michael Sheetz from CNBC. With a reference to Boca Chica Village, SpaceX is "looking for a talented Resort Development Manager to oversee the development of SpaceX's first resort from inception to completion". Hmm.
Resort Development Manager
Hmm indeed. While the word “resort” has a somewhat fuzzy definition, I am not sure what sort of resort SpaceX plans to construct in that area. Perhaps over the next decade SpaceX has plans for such a high volume of space tourism that they envision Boca Chica as a vacation destination, enlivened by the ear-splitting sounds of frequent Starship launches just offshore, with the added attraction of regular sonic booms from FH and Starship landings? Sounds restful. ;)

Hmm indeed. While the word “resort” has a somewhat fuzzy definition, I am not sure what sort of resort SpaceX plans to construct in that area. Perhaps over the next decade SpaceX has plans for such a high volume of space tourism that they envision Boca Chica as a vacation destination, enlivened by the ear-splitting sounds of frequent Starship launches just offshore, with the added attraction of regular sonic booms from FH and Starship landings? Sounds restful. ;)

You're forgetting that SpaceX has a sense of humor.

It advertised for a Senior Software Developer (Space Lasers).

Place for citizen astronauts to stay while training for their translunar trip perhaps?

Reactions: miimura
I know SpaceX has offered to buy out the nearby residents for a very generous amount. Not to be a downer but SpaceX has become a crucial part of the military launch program. If people have held out for even more they could possibly have the government step in and buy up their property for critical infrastructure need. I know such things have happened in the past. And that might not be as good a deal as SpaceX is offering.

New video from BocaChicaGal showing an amazing level of activity; Raptor SN29 being mounted on SN6 which is on the test pad, High Bay construction progress, multiple Starship sections under construction and construction started on the orbital launch platform!

Yah, apparently SN6 already passed cryo testing (which had the added benefit of removing most of the crease in the top section)