Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Colored Lower Panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why the MX has unpainted lower body panels along the door and wheel arches?
The refreshed MS and M3 both have body colored lower panels.
I can only speculate that the refreshed MX will follow suit in a couple years from now with body colored panels.

I'm trying to determine if there was a practical reason for this or if it was purely for manufacturing cost savings by Tesla.
I don't think the unpainted panels detracts from the look of the MX, but it could make the vehicle look more finished considering it is a premium SUV.

IMO, flat black lower panels and wheel arches can give a lighter color vehicle a less bulky look and make it look higher off the ground.

This makes more sense for the MX than the sedans. Maybe that's why they only changed it on the refresh.

If you can, try photoshopping a white MX to have white lower panels and wheel arches and then see if you like it. You may not.

It's rough but here is a quick photoshop.

Attachments

• white x_white bottom.png
    white x_white bottom.png
    440.9 KB · Views: 238
The plastic trim is also used to convey a "rugged" message by making the flares more apparent and making it seem like it has a higher ride height and bigger wheel wells. Volvo XC's and Audi AllRoads were both wagons that employed this to convey they can be more capable on dirt and gravel and are more SUV like.

One of the aftermarket companies paints quite a bit of their gallery cars to have the trim match the body. Since someone PS'd a white, here's what it actually looks like:
tsx6-white-tesla-model-x-p90d-22-inch-wheels-rims-mx5-metallic-grey-gray-03-1024x682.jpg

pearl-white-tesla-model-s-22-inch-wheels-mx5-gloss-black-2-1024x682.jpg