TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Body Colored Lower Panels

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by s4sammy, Jun 6, 2017.

1. s4sammy

s4sammy Member

Does anyone know why the MX has unpainted lower body panels along the door and wheel arches?
    The refreshed MS and M3 both have body colored lower panels.
    I can only speculate that the refreshed MX will follow suit in a couple years from now with body colored panels.

I'm trying to determine if there was a practical reason for this or if it was purely for manufacturing cost savings by Tesla.
    I don't think the unpainted panels detracts from the look of the MX, but it could make the vehicle look more finished considering it is a premium SUV.

2. Haxster

Haxster Member

IMO, flat black lower panels and wheel arches can give a lighter color vehicle a less bulky look and make it look higher off the ground.

This makes more sense for the MX than the sedans. Maybe that's why they only changed it on the refresh.

If you can, try photoshopping a white MX to have white lower panels and wheel arches and then see if you like it. You may not.

• Like x 2
  3. boofagle

boofagle Member

It's rough but here is a quick photoshop.

Attached Files:

4. boofagle

boofagle Member

before:

Attached Files:

5. s4sammy

s4sammy Member

Wow.. You're right! Looks a bit "bottom heavy" all of the sudden, but why do other sports SUV's have body colored panels which work but doesn't seem right on the Tesla?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way @boofagle, that's some impressive Photoshop work!

• Like x 1
  6. MXFan

MXFan Member

It gives the X a sportier and more nimble look. Those other SUVs don't look sporty or nimble from the start, just bulky and slow.

• Like x 1
  7. boofagle

boofagle Member

It looks more refined but less sporty. Think of the Jeep Wrangler Sport vs the Sahara with the body color fender flares.

• Like x 1
  8. boofagle

boofagle Member

Thanks! I work mostly in After Effects so I had to try to figure it out quick in photoshop. Always willing to learn something new.

• Like x 1
  9. Haxster

Haxster Member

Nice work!

I don't want to offend anyone, but the first thought I had was "white turd".

• Like x 1
  10. Yinn

Yinn Member

The plastic trim is also used to convey a "rugged" message by making the flares more apparent and making it seem like it has a higher ride height and bigger wheel wells. Volvo XC's and Audi AllRoads were both wagons that employed this to convey they can be more capable on dirt and gravel and are more SUV like.

One of the aftermarket companies paints quite a bit of their gallery cars to have the trim match the body. Since someone PS'd a white, here's what it actually looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

12. Thibaudc

Thibaudc New Member

Maybe just a covering on these parts? It can be an apportunity to pu some carbon fiber on front and rear plastic ? No sensors in these areas?