Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

body flex glass crack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i still gotta take pics, but i noticed a hairline crack starting in the middle of the rear glass. starts at the rubber from the trunk area, then goes up about 3 feet. this has to be body flex? anyone ever gotten one in this area? is this covered by warranty or do i have to go thru insurance?

thank you.

You don't say how old your car is, but I guess maybe Oct or November '18. There are/were some cars with defective rear glass. You might have one, if so, it should be replaced under warranty.

Had mine replaced under warranty in August '19.

Do a search. tons of folks have had stress cracks. It should be covered. Occasionally it has not been. It's easy to prove if the crack is on the inside layer. On the outside it can be a little harder to prove it was not impacted.

im leaving the tint, i have receipt to show that was two years ago, and hopefully they dont pull anything like maybe you have had this crack for two years.

i made a service appt yesterday, already got text of confirmation about the appt. i asked about defective rear glass in that year/model, they denied anything. they will do a pen test to determine if impact or stress.

I would also avoid situations that could flex the car. Saw a model 3 parked on a pretty steep embankment due to lack of parking with a large cracked rear glass. Looked like it just happened as the dirt on the glass was wiped to get a better view of the crack. I cracked my wife’s MB GLS windshield hitting large pothole on the freeway. Although it happens to other cars, the rear glass panel on the model 3 is huge.