Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Panel Alignment Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from the body shop telling me my Tesla S is ready. Went down to pick it up only to find significant differences in gaps between the rear quarter panel and the trunk lid. The drivers side quarter panel was replaced due to an accident. Shop is telling me that it came that way from the factory.

Anyone notice a difference in gaps between the trunk and rear quarter panels?

Feedback on the pictures is appreciated. Have a call to Tesla to see what they say.
20161005_140042096_iOS.jpg
20161005_140054675_iOS.jpg
20161005_140127939_iOS.jpg

Likewise, this isn't a strength for Tesla. same for the internal panels, the alignment differences on each side are very obvious in places. I also have the driver's door trim panel constantly 'unpopping' and pulling away from the door, leaving an ugly gap when viewed from outside. I need to get it to the SC to fix, for the second time. There's a few other rattles too, which drive me insane, although my wife doesn't seem to notice them.

Reactions: davidc18
Has anyone gone through with SC to address the issue? I looked more carefully last couple of weeks as my eyes are getting more familiar with the car and I've found several more misalignment. I was just contacted by SC about this and I am wondering what the experience is like for everyone. If SC cannot do really good job fixing it or even make it worse (like makes the door rattle...) I might as well just skip fixing it. I am not really into babysitting the look of any of my cars.

Thanks.

Got a call from the body shop telling me my Tesla S is ready. Went down to pick it up only to find significant differences in gaps between the rear quarter panel and the trunk lid. The drivers side quarter panel was replaced due to an accident. Shop is telling me that it came that way from the factory.

Anyone notice a difference in gaps between the trunk and rear quarter panels?

Feedback on the pictures is appreciated. Have a call to Tesla to see what they say.View attachment 197616 View attachment 197617 View attachment 197618

The Model S I picked up in Tampa on October 6 has a misalignment of the rear lower quarter panel. I don't believe that they have a professionally trained staff that can properly detail cars for delivery. I have never had a fit and finish issue with BMW, MB, or Lexus.

I asked the Tesla guy who picked my car up to take it in for service and he said these misalignments exist in almost all of theirs cars to some extent. He basically said it was a design flaw.

Personally, I'm just going to leave mine as it is. I'd rather not run the risk of making things worse by having them play with the doors.

It's definitely a stupid problem to have.

I asked the Tesla guy who picked my car up to take it in for service and he said these misalignments exist in almost all of theirs cars to some extent. He basically said it was a design flaw.

Personally, I'm just going to leave mine as it is. I'd rather not run the risk of making things worse by having them play with the doors.

It's definitely a stupid problem to have.

I think I can live with door somewhat and trunk as well but the frunk cover is really bad. My DS said it is within the spec when I brought up during the delivery but I didn't agree so I brought it up again when I was making the schedule and the service person agreed to fix it without a hesitation.

I know the recommended body shop - the area is filled with high quality work. Only question is if Model S itself is good with the adjustment, especially if there is a design flaw as this.

Attachments

• driverside_hood.jpg
    driverside_hood.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 103
Mine (2016 refresh) has every single one of those misalignments. I'd share some photos but the car is at the service center getting the front bumper repainted. Ugh. Even the 2013 P85 loaner they gave me has these same alignment issues.

Only question is if Model S itself is good with the adjustment, especially if there is a design flaw as this.
That's the thing (and the reason I'm leaving mine as-is). Looking at the car, some of these panels don't look easily adjustable. I'm not sure it's worth the risk of having issues down the road (rattles, etc).

That's the thing (and the reason I'm leaving mine as-is). Looking at the car, some of these panels don't look easily adjustable. I'm not sure it's worth the risk of having issues down the road (rattles, etc).

Yeah, that is exactly what I am debating on. My wife believes the car shouldn't be adjusted by non-manufacturer unless it needs the real body work. I am also thinking similarly, but just because I am worried they might screw up more at the end, especially like having rattles. That is why I am trying to get as much information as possible before making the final decision as I have about 10 days before the schedule.

When I took delivery of my MS 90D, I got home and notices several gaps, particularly where the chrome trim didn't match the door panels.

Luckily all those issues were easily addressed. When I had my windows tinted by a very experienced installer, he removed all of the chrome trim on each door. Without any tools he lifted each chrome piece off the door (near the edge of the glass) and applied my tint. When he put all the chrome trim back, by hand without any tools, he adjusted all the gaps and matched all the pieces to the door alignment and openings so that any flaws or gaps I had when I took delivery of the car were no longer evident.

I do agree there are issues with misalignment and panels, but any chrome piece (below the window glass) can easily be moved and aligned to the door. Most of the chrome alignment issues in the pictures above can be easily addressed in less than 5 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: tmarcc and davidc18