TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Body panel alignment

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by credible58, Mar 19, 2017.

1. credible58

credible58 New Member

I collected my S 75 a couple of days ago and I love it. I have some body panel alignment issues. The rear left side door is way out and the front left door is not great. I haven't raised the issue with Tesla yet so I'm not whinging. I was just wondering what has been the experience of others regarding finish.

Thanks and regards...Paul

2. ZERO260

ZERO260 Member

I have a 2016 refresh 75D and had slight body molding (chrome) misalignment near Windows on passenger side that was taken care of after delivery. Plastic spoiler near lower grill was not installed correctly and was taken care of also. I did not find second issues until a few months after delivery. I would just spend a little time with the car a note all of your issues to be taken care of in one trip. I emailed a list and everything was already written up when I arrived for service. I timed my service at about 5k miles so that tires could be rotated. Rotation was free. I did not get them balanced but maybe should have. Seems like I inoticed a little vibration afterwards. I will do both next time.

My number 1 issue is mirrors and door panels literally vibrate with high volume or with heavy bass tunes. This issues was not corrected. I will pursue again on next visit.

3. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

Same here on Dec 2016 S60D, body panels don't align very well, gaps in the body panels are not consistent even on the same panel, and chrome trim is clearly misaligned. Kind of embarrassing showing off the car, when people point to these problems and ask how much I paid for the car. I don't want to have any of these cosmetic issues fixed though, for fear of causing more problems.

Kind of have a new appreciation for my Toyota which sells at 100 times the volume and yet doesn't have he same lapses in Quality Control.

Decided to leave as is. If the factory doesn't have the ability to get it right than can I trust the service center to do any better?

• Like x 2
  4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Yes, the Service enter can do better. Since I read all about these issues with the car here on TMC, I looked for the panel alignment issues during delivery. Sure enough there were some. Noted during delivery, and corrected by the Service Center at the first visit there.

Shouldn't happen -- yadda yadda -- but they will fix it. If you wait until later to ask them to do so? I have no idea.

5. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

If you want to wait then at least provide a list now to the service manager so at least they are documented.

• Like x 1
  6. MS16

MS16 Member

My '16 refresh was in the body shop for more than a week shortly after delivery to correct most of the panel gap problems the car was delivered with.

The Service Center told me they handle the smaller fit and finish problems but they send the vehicle out to a body shop for the bigger problems, which is what they did for mine.

I've never bought a new car with as many quality and fit and finish problems as my Tesla has.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. credible58

credible58 New Member

Thanks for the input from all. My went off today for repair. I am a bit disappointed that the problems weren't discovered and corrected during the PDI. The driver who collected my car told me that quality checks and corrections are all carried out during final assembly in the Netherlands (I'm in the UK). When the car arrives at the UK dealer they simply deal with "detailing".

• Like x 1
  8. MS16

MS16 Member

Yea, it's pretty clear to me that the Delivery Center does little other than wash the car before delivery. A regular franchised car dealer would perform a full PDI before delivery. I haven't been impressed at all with Tesla's Delivery or Service Center performance.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

You can't count on a franchised dealer either. The last two non-Tesla cars I bought had various little issues with the PDI. I didn't worry about them as they were easy to correct (moulding problem, very poor wax job, that sort of thing). No matter what your service center should be able to fix things up to your satisfaction, and if they don't try the regular escalation path first.

• Like x 1
  10. doublebo7

doublebo7 Member

my model X has many body fitting issues which the factory failed to correct and the Tilburg also failed to correct when reassembling.
    it gave me a 3 hour headache during collection

• Like x 1
  11. MS16

MS16 Member

The critical difference is a normal dealer doesn't have your non-refundable deposit and therefore that dealer has a big incentive to make sure the car they're delivering a product that meets the buyers expectations. If it doesn't, they lose a sale.

• Like x 1
  12. hatman4731

hatman4731 Member

Does anyone have a DIY guide on adjusting the chrome alignment? The service center adjusted mine and it's closer but definitely still off. I'd rather satisfy my OCD by getting it perfect on my own than try to push the service center to go beyond "acceptable tolerance" level.

• Like x 1
  13. Raddoc

Raddoc Member

Taking delivery of my Model S tomorrow. Can anyone provide pictures of "mis-alignment." I assume it is self explanatory, but would like to see images of what to look for. Thanks in advance.

14. mobe

mobe Member

I bought a brand new M3 BMW, on the drive home I was amazed at how harsh the ride was. Looked at the front suspension and the shipping blocks were still in the front springs!

• Funny x 1
  15. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

There are plenty of circumstances where franchised dealers have in demand cars and know if they don't sell to you the next person would take it.

16. credible58

credible58 New Member

Got the car back after 2 days. They have corrected most of the issues but the rear passenger side door still isn't correct. I've also noticed that the door handle on the other door retracts too far and so isn't flush. Have sent pictures to the Service Centre and I'm expecting a call today.

17. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Let us all hope that Tesla purchased better robots for assembling the M3 than the ones producing the MS/MX because there is clearly no human(s) involved with quality control.

• Like x 2
  18. William3

William3 Member

#18 William3, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  19. Raddoc

Raddoc Member

"On Saturday, I will talk to the whole assembly, metal stamping and plastics team to make sure that everybody understands that they are all empowered to be perfectionists on the line and that they should not let a car move from their station if they see anything that is slightly wrong. They must reverse the line and send it back to the prior station."

That article was 2012. Probably have the lasers now to improve quality now, but why is there so much talk of misalignment now? They are churning them out 3 shifts and letting it go, hoping the consumer doesn't catch the defects? I am a fan of Tesla, but some of the issues I have read on this forum are unacceptable. I was planning on ordering a Model 3 and looking into getting a Model X, but my experiences thus far have led me to question those decisions. Tesla needs to hire a Quality Control manager from one of the larger auto companies to show them a thing or two.

20. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

On the S and probably the X, the chrome trim is held on place exclusively via rubber on painted metal friction. You can carefully grab the chrome (no scratching tools) and carefully wiggle it back and forth, pulling and pushing it in the direction it needs to go. All too easy. Then line it up by eye or with a small plastic level.

I fear the problem may be entitled California employees who simply don't care. I hope not but the problem is too diffuse and present too long term. Either management doesn't care or the workers don't care, or the parts were designed in a fashion that make it difficult / impossible to assemble perfectly.

It's a real shame. I still, however, love my car.