Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Panel Gap and Alignment Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also posted this picture in another thread in the production and delivery section, but this thread is more pertinent. Here's my most notable body panel fit issue (the front right edge of the hood, adjacent to the passenger side headlight):

View attachment 16649
I picked up my car on Tuesday and noticed the same problem. The gap on the left side is large enough to slip my index finger in but on the right side it is nice and closed in with small gap. Showed it to service center. Will take the car in for them to look at. I will post pics of before after when I get a chance.

I picked up my car on Tuesday and noticed the same problem. The gap on the left side is large enough to slip my index finger in but on the right side it is nice and closed in with small gap. Showed it to service center. Will take the car in for them to look at. I will post pics of before after when I get a chance.

Cool-Model S, any update on this yet? I have the same problem, not quite as severe but it is noticeable. Thanks.

Hello TMC! I've been reading this forum voraciously and unfortunately the reason that drove me to register and write my first post is not a positive one. I took delivery on 6/29 and after a few weeks with the car I've noticed several panel issues as well as fan noise issue.

Issues # 2-5 I've seen others complain about on the forum so I know at least it's common. But issue #1 is the one that bugs me the most and I see it every time walking up to the car. I made an appointment to have these looked at. The first available time slot at the Fremont SC is not for a month from now. They could not guarantee a Tesla loaner so I'm kinda dreading possibly having to drive an Enterprise rental after just getting my Model S! Love the car still, but these annoyances have definitely muted a bit my initial enthusiasm and made me more on the alert about other potential issues instead of being in blissful enjoyment.

I'm very glad for this forum and the wealth of information that it contains. It has helped alleviate most of my concerns so far!

Issues:

1. Driver's Side Rear Door. Lower door panel edge (opposite hinge side) sticks out further than rear quarter panel. I wonder if they can even easily adjust this since the top edge seems to align okay. Does anyone else here have a similar issue?

2. L & R front quarter panels sticks out past rest of body, by the mirrors.

3. Back of chrome bezels sticks out (both L & R sides, the pointy end by the rear quarter panel). Photo below.

4. Front edge of hood, left side of hood sticks out further from front bumper, right side looks flush.

5. When AC is on and the car is parked (turning the AC off), what sounds like a fan motor can be heard squeaking from the front passenger wheel well as the it comes slowly to a stop.

Issue #1:
Rear Door L.JPG

Issue #2:
Front Qtr L.JPG

Issue #3:
Bezel R.JPG

Issue #4:
Hood L.JPG

Hello TMC! I've been reading this forum voraciously and unfortunately the reason that drove me to register and write my first post is not a positive one. I took delivery on 6/29 and after a few weeks with the car I've noticed several panel issues as well as fan noise issue.

Issues # 2-5 I've seen others complain about on the forum so I know at least it's common. But issue #1 is the one that bugs me the most and I see it every time walking up to the car. I made an appointment to have these looked at. The first available time slot at the Fremont SC is not for a month from now. They could not guarantee a Tesla loaner so I'm kinda dreading possibly having to drive an Enterprise rental after just getting my Model S! Love the car still, but these annoyances have definitely muted a bit my initial enthusiasm and made me more on the alert about other potential issues instead of being in blissful enjoyment.

I'm very glad for this forum and the wealth of information that it contains. It has helped alleviate most of my concerns so far!

Issues:

1. Driver's Side Rear Door. Lower door panel edge (opposite hinge side) sticks out further than rear quarter panel. I wonder if they can even easily adjust this since the top edge seems to align okay. Does anyone else here have a similar issue?

2. L & R front quarter panels sticks out past rest of body, by the mirrors.

3. Back of chrome bezels sticks out (both L & R sides, the pointy end by the rear quarter panel). Photo below.

4. Front edge of hood, left side of hood sticks out further from front bumper, right side looks flush.

5. When AC is on and the car is parked (turning the AC off), what sounds like a fan motor can be heard squeaking from the front passenger wheel well as the it comes slowly to a stop.

I have issues 2 and 5 that you describe. Regarding issue 2, my SC didn't have a fix to address the flair out. I have looked at dozens of S'; most have varying degrees of flair out, though I have seen a few cars with flush panels. I was told by one Tesla employee the flair out is there to cut down on wind noise. Whether it is true or not, the explanation helped me resolve internally what I perceived as a flaw as now a design feature.

Issue 5 was posted by @nerdon Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 179 and reportedly caused by the fan being asymmetrical. Others have reported the sound coming from the driver's side. I have the sound, however it is very faint and unfortunately my SC is next to a freeway and neither they or myself are able to hear the sound at the shop. The good news is engineering is aware of the problem so hopefully a fix is in the works.

Issue 1 is certainly #1 that needs to be addressed by Tesla; can't say I have ever seen that except for maybe the Beta cars and Tesla should be well past that stage in QC to make things right for you.

Good Luck

Issue #3:
View attachment 27101

I have this issue too. I'm bringing in my car to Fremont on Saturday for general creaks and rattling and other minor things like that - will see what they have to say about this. My left side chrome pointy bit is extra bad - it's not even attached to the foam/plastic thing behind it, so I'm a little worried about water intrusion there, in addition to the fact that it looks bad.

My left side chrome pointy bit is extra bad - it's not even attached to the foam/plastic thing behind it, so I'm a little worried about water intrusion there, in addition to the fact that it looks bad.

I caught a wash mitt on one of the points once, it's annoying and I'm afraid that may make the condition worse. Please let me know the outcome of your appointment. I hear slight rattling from the mid support beam of the pano roof sometimes too.

I caught a wash mitt on one of the points once, it's annoying and I'm afraid that may make the condition worse. Please let me know the outcome of your appointment. I hear slight rattling from the mid support beam of the pano roof sometimes too.

Yeah, I got that pano roof beam rattle (like everybody else apparently), the rattle from the shoulder strap of the seat belt, and from the plastic between the touchscreen and the driver air vet. Passenger side door takes more force to close than the other doors. All super minor but really annoying things in an otherwise quiet car. I'll let you know about the chrome thing.

Hi, I got my car back this morning.

Before, the chrome point was sticking really far out, and the glue near the very back holding it to the rubber/plastic backing had failed - it was really cheap looking and cheap feeling. It looks like he just glued it down really good - he may have also improved the connection of the rubber/plastic backing to the car as well, not sure. It's still not perfectly lined up with the body panels, but it's way, way better. I'll try to get pictures of "after" tomorrow during the day. I have a picture of "before" that I can post later as well.

Other issues:
Pano roof creaking fixed.
Dash rattle fixed.
Seatbelt shoulder mechanism creak fixed.

They did a pretty awesome job.

They didn't charge me anything.

Crap, I took a picture last night in the garage, but light was poor and apparently not exactly the same angle, so don't know how useful it is for apples->apples comparison. Well, it'll have to do for now. It's much, much better.

before.JPG
after.JPG

I dropped the car off on Saturday and had a whole bunch of minor issues (charge port colors, creaking, passenger front door not closing as easily as the others, etc.), so the tech and I went for a short drive so that I could point out all the rattles. The "service advisor" said they had a high priority car that day (a Tesla that wouldn't turn on at all or something - maybe it was that completely destroyed car that was in the other thread), so he said they'd have it for me on Tuesday, since that was the next day that the same tech who went on the test drive with me would be on again. It was done by ~2-3 pm Tuesday as promised - I picked it up Wednesday morning.

They gave me a green P85 loaner, which was a lot, lot faster and handled better than my 60 (air suspension I guess was the difference). It was fun driving that thing around - I was almost sad to have to go get my car back.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and, if you have a lot of issues that you want them to look at, be sure to carefully read the list-of-issues-for-the-tech-to-address that the service advisor gives you to sign when you drop off your car. My advisor was a nice guy, but he got a few things confused, accidentally left off an issue or two, so I had to help him correct him so that everything would be crystal clear for the tech.

The only issue I had recently was with moisture getting into the passenger side. The rubber molding where the top edge of the window sits apparently pushed it up at a very odd angle, which exposed a small opening. I park my MS outdoor one night so I had noticed recently that there were dried droplets on the door panel. The Fremont service center took care of this issue and was quite courtesy. Having a nice loaner was icing on top of the cake. Thank you Tesla

I dropped the car off on Saturday and had a whole bunch of minor issues (charge port colors, creaking, passenger front door not closing as easily as the others, etc.)

That does look a lot better, mine is not quite as bad so hopefully they can fix it. Is the passenger front door easier to close now? The wife would be very happy if they fixed that! I'll make sure to double check the to-fix list.

If the loaner P85 handled better than your 60 I wonder if it was actually a P85+! :eek: (or maybe the 21" tires...?)