Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

body PPF worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The day to day gravel chips and paint damage pretty much all occur on the nose, with a teensy bit possibly in front of the rear wheels. Following a gravel truck can chip up the whole hood and leave chips in the window glass, too, but PPF is for paint. I've already had to replace my windshield due to a flying bolt that hit us while driving on the freeway, but thankfully it only smashed the windshield. It could have come on through and taken out my wife instead. Don't know what it would have done if it had hit the front fascia or hood. My brother was driving his motor home under an overpass when a muffler fell from it and hit his front window. The muffler, still very hot, came on through, between him and his wife, and ended up, smoking, on the bed two feet from the baby. Some things PPF can't stop.

PPF is pretty much essential on the front area and fenders and maybe halfway back on the hood, but the line left by only doing the hood half way doesn't look good, so usually the whole hood is done. Not much else gets hit, and what does can be touched up if it goes through the paint. It doesn't make sense to PPF much more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loco_Nomad
The day to day gravel chips and paint damage pretty much all occur on the nose, with a teensy bit possibly in front of the rear wheels. Following a gravel truck can chip up the whole hood and leave chips in the window glass, too, but PPF is for paint. I've already had to replace my windshield due to a flying bolt that hit us while driving on the freeway, but thankfully it only smashed the windshield. It could have come on through and taken out my wife instead. Don't know what it would have done if it had hit the front fascia or hood. My brother was driving his motor home under an overpass when a muffler fell from it and hit his front window. The muffler, still very hot, came on through, between him and his wife, and ended up, smoking, on the bed two feet from the baby. Some things PPF can't stop.

PPF is pretty much essential on the front area and fenders and maybe halfway back on the hood, but the line left by only doing the hood half way doesn't look good, so usually the whole hood is done. Not much else gets hit, and what does can be touched up if it goes through the paint. It doesn't make sense to PPF much more than that.
thanks, that makes sense, and saving money too

Not sure where you are located OP, but $9k seems high. I was quoted $12k plus but after shopping around was able to find it for under half of that at a very reputable place.
Im in Bay Area, CA, so predictably everything is expensive, especially for Tesla owners. But I decided to go with partial full front and ceramic coat for $3000 :)

That price is very high, should be able to get whole car PPF/Coating/Tint for much less than that. I think getting the whole car is worth it, but everybody is different. Def get at least a full front where most of the rock chips occur as others have stated. If you do the whole car and get coating on top (or the XPEL with built in coating) it makes washing the car super easy and elminates swirls, tiny surface scratches etc.

Got a quote on full body PPF and ceramic coating for my X, $9000, is it worth it? Partial PPF is $3500. I commute 70 miles a day, just wondering if it really worth it. What is your opinion?
Sounds high. I was quoted $6,000 for full PPF for my Incoming X, using Xpel Ultimate Plus. On my 2018 and my Model 3, I did not get PPF. I did get Ceramic Pro applied Direct on the paint. That ran $1,600. Ceramic coating gives you all of the easy to clean properties.

I am thinking about a color change vinyl wrap. I kinda have the hots for a bright yellow X (I’ve always liked yellow cars, since I had one fifty years ago). So I don’t know yet which way I’ll go.

My take is that doing half of the hood, fenders and front facia is pretty much going to cover 80% of the chips. Having said that, if you are handy you can purchase the kits online (eBay) and watch some videos on YouTube and do it yourself. I purchased 3M gloss precut for the X. The hood and fenders are half rather then full. I paid $149 and tax. I recently got a quote on my 2017 Acura NSX. For the front hood, and fenders the quote was $1300 with the full front (includes the mirrors, and lower facia) $2000. So I think you are getting a pretty high bid. I initially did my hood half way on the NSX. My first attempt did not come out that great. So I ordered another 1/2 hood. This time it came out pretty decent. I made the mistake of applying ceramic coating prior to doing the hood. So I had some trouble getting the edges in a couple of places. Since that attempt, I have considered doing it again, but may have the shop do it.

Also for what it is worth a saw a couple of videos on how to fix chips. Most people just dab paint into the chip and leave it that way. So it will show up easily. After watching some videos again on YouTube, there is a process. While it takes a couple of days, the results are as if no chip was ever present. You need to sand the area to break down the sides essentially flattening the edges. Then you clean it with thinner so that the paint will adhere. You then attempt to fill in the chip area allowing each application approximately 12 hours to cure. Eventually you end up with a small hump where the chip originally existed. You then sand (5000 grit wet) and follow up with scratch remover. If you use a polisher all the better. So it can be done to look really like new. It that is not your cup of tea then you can either have the front repainted (hood, fenders, and lower facia) for probably $1500 +or -

Reactions: cdf3 and Genie
Sounds high. I was quoted $6,000 for full PPF for my Incoming X, using Xpel Ultimate Plus. On my 2018 and my Model 3, I did not get PPF. I did get Ceramic Pro applied Direct on the paint. That ran $1,600. Ceramic coating gives you all of the easy to clean properties.

I am thinking about a color change vinyl wrap. I kinda have the hots for a bright yellow X (I’ve always liked yellow cars, since I had one fifty years ago). So I don’t know yet which way I’ll go.
The problem with the wrap vs PPF is the thickness. You’ll be replacing the wrap within 5 years, maybe even 2-3 depending on where you live. In my experience, color wrap has offered me no protection on my cars. Looks great, when new.

I offer some impact area PPF for the Model X... I am yet to do rockers and hood, but I will do those too, eventually. Here is what I have so far in case you want to go that way instead of full PPF:

Fenders

Trunk/Rear Bumper

Door Edge Guards

Headlights

Door Sills

My take is that doing half of the hood, fenders and front facia is pretty much going to cover 80% of the chips. Having said that, if you are handy you can purchase the kits online (eBay) and watch some videos on YouTube and do it yourself. I purchased 3M gloss precut for the X. The hood and fenders are half rather then full. I paid $149 and tax. I recently got a quote on my 2017 Acura NSX. For the front hood, and fenders the quote was $1300 with the full front (includes the mirrors, and lower facia) $2000. So I think you are getting a pretty high bid. I initially did my hood half way on the NSX. My first attempt did not come out that great. So I ordered another 1/2 hood. This time it came out pretty decent. I made the mistake of applying ceramic coating prior to doing the hood. So I had some trouble getting the edges in a couple of places. Since that attempt, I have considered doing it again, but may have the shop do it.

Also for what it is worth a saw a couple of videos on how to fix chips. Most people just dab paint into the chip and leave it that way. So it will show up easily. After watching some videos again on YouTube, there is a process. While it takes a couple of days, the results are as if no chip was ever present. You need to sand the area to break down the sides essentially flattening the edges. Then you clean it with thinner so that the paint will adhere. You then attempt to fill in the chip area allowing each application approximately 12 hours to cure. Eventually you end up with a small hump where the chip originally existed. You then sand (5000 grit wet) and follow up with scratch remover. If you use a polisher all the better. So it can be done to look really like new. It that is not your cup of tea then you can either have the front repainted (hood, fenders, and lower facia) for probably $1500 +or -
Do you happen to have the YouTube video link on how to do it the correct way?