Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body repair experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been covered extensively, but it's always good to share the latest experience. My Model S 75D got rear-ended at a traffic light here in Northern Virginia on 23 July; the damage did not appear extensive--damaged bumper cover, knocked-out ultrasonic sensors, bent hatch cover, bent rear body panel. The hatch would still close (with a gap) and the car was driveable and functional save the parking assist. The other driver's insurance was State Farm, and they were immediately helpful. I called Tesla Service for a list of Tesla-certified repair shops and was referred to the list on the website. I selected Chantilly Auto Body because they were both Tesla certified and had an affiliation with State Farm, so I thought that would make things smoother. They are a large outfit with a good reputation, so I figured they'd seen this rodeo before.

Chantilly had me bring it in immediately and did an initial assessment. I was warned up front of the realities of Tesla repair:
- They would order the parts obviously in need of replacement right away.
- About a month would pass before Tesla responded; they would prod them, and eventually the parts would be sent.
- When the parts came in, they would put me in the queue--at the time they had 40 Teslas awaiting repair
--When my number came up, they would call me and I would then bring the car in.
- They would disassemble the damaged parts and find out what ELSE needed replacement.
- They would then order those parts, and the process would repeat.
- The situation would be the same at any other repair shop.
- Any other car could have had similar damage repaired in a week or so.

Another quirk was that ordinarily State Farm allows Chantilly to make the initial estimate on their behalf, because of their certified relationship. State Farm evaluates the repair shop on jobs in this program, however, and because timeliness is one of the parameters of the evaluation, Chantilly refuses to repair Teslas under that program (for obvious reasons). So, State Farm had to do the estimate themselves, but this only created one day of delay.

This was the state of affairs until 10 September, when I finally was able to bring the car in. I was informed at that time that it would take 30 working days to repair, and "we don't do Tesla work on weekends." I was given a VW Tiguan rental, but State Farm wouldn't pay for my gas (grrrr!). Things played out from there pretty much as Chantilly had predicted--the only additional glitch was there was a sensor problem Chantilly couldn't fix, so they had to take it to Tesla repair (fortunately that's local). Chantilly was very good about giving e-mail status updates nearly daily--even when there wasn't much progress to report. I got the car back today (23 October), 32 working days after I took it in. So far, everything seems to be fine.

Lessons:
- Tesla parts availability continues to be a nightmare, especially for non-Tesla shops, even those on the "certified" list
- Even when the shops are competent and the repair situation straightforward, the time to repair a Tesla is unconscionably long.

Noticed a crack in the windshield yesterday, 3 days after taking delivery of my CPO. Made a glass claim through Allstate, who partners with Safelite. Scheduled replacement for this Saturday.

I got a call from Safelite today denying the job because the windshield is back ordered until year end, and once it arrives, Tesla will not deliver it locally.

Ended up calling Tesla directly and they scheduled me for 2 weeks from now. They can't direct bill my insurance, so I'll need to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed. Interesting that they can now make the part appear so quickly. I won't get my hopes up, though.

Personally i would've tried the tesla in-house body shop in Owings Mills, Maryland. There are numerous reports of the tesla-owned shops getting repairs done quickly.
Well...I previously had warranty body work that was done there, and they took 3 weeks to do a hatch alignment (no parts needed) and lost my charging cable in the process. Maybe they're getting better....

Well...I previously had warranty body work that was done there, and they took 3 weeks to do a hatch alignment (no parts needed) and lost my charging cable in the process. Maybe they're getting better....

Hi ElectricHoo:
I just suffered a front end collision of my new M3; I am seriously considering using the Tesla Body Repair Center at Owings Mills vs the Chantilly Auto Body. I live in NoVa. Can you share more of your experience with the Tesla Body Repair Center at Owings Mills? It's quite a drive from NoVa, and I have no way of contacting them other than the email [email protected]. They do not share customer facing phone number, and they have not emailed me back? Can you let me know what your experiences were, since I am in your same boat comparing Chantilly Auto Body with the Owings Mills Tesla Body Repair Center. Thank you.

Hi ElectricHoo:
I just suffered a front end collision of my new M3; I am seriously considering using the Tesla Body Repair Center at Owings Mills vs the Chantilly Auto Body. I live in NoVa. Can you share more of your experience with the Tesla Body Repair Center at Owings Mills? It's quite a drive from NoVa, and I have no way of contacting them other than the email [email protected]. They do not share customer facing phone number, and they have not emailed me back? Can you let me know what your experiences were, since I am in your same boat comparing Chantilly Auto Body with the Owings Mills Tesla Body Repair Center. Thank you.
Autobotalex,

I didn't deal with the Owings Mill outfit directly, all my dealings were through the Tysons service center because it was a warranty repair. I really have only two observations: 1) they took a very long time (about a week and a half) to do an alignment on my rear hatch--a very slight defect that was noticed on delivery that required no parts. 2) My portable charge cable disappeared while the car was in for service. It either disappeared while at the Tesla Shop, or at the Owings Mill shop. The Tysons shop looked for it at their place and didn't find it, so I expect that the Owings Mill shop was responsible. (Tesla gave me a new one, in any case.)

Chantilly did a good job, and they provide a warranty on their work. The only problem I had (other than the long wait) was that they had a problem with the ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper, and they had to send it to the Tysons shop for repair. The shop apparently replaced the sensors, and now they are a slightly different shade of red than the bumper. Chantilly said they would repaint them, and I took it back yesterday. Will see how long it takes to do this simple job.

There are other options besides Owings Mills and Chantilly. Look on the Tesla website--I think Service King in Herndon and others are Tesla Certified body shops, too. I don't know anything about those, however.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Autobotalex,

I didn't deal with the Owings Mill outfit directly, all my dealings were through the Tysons service center because it was a warranty repair. I really have only two observations: 1) they took a very long time (about a week and a half) to do an alignment on my rear hatch--a very slight defect that was noticed on delivery that required no parts. 2) My portable charge cable disappeared while the car was in for service. It either disappeared while at the Tesla Shop, or at the Owings Mill shop. The Tysons shop looked for it at their place and didn't find it, so I expect that the Owings Mill shop was responsible. (Tesla gave me a new one, in any case.)

Chantilly did a good job, and they provide a warranty on their work. The only problem I had (other than the long wait) was that they had a problem with the ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper, and they had to send it to the Tysons shop for repair. The shop apparently replaced the sensors, and now they are a slightly different shade of red than the bumper. Chantilly said they would repaint them, and I took it back yesterday. Will see how long it takes to do this simple job.

There are other options besides Owings Mills and Chantilly. Look on the Tesla website--I think Service King in Herndon and others are Tesla Certified body shops, too. I don't know anything about those, however.

Hope this helps!
Got it back after the sensor repainting on Monday--one week. Everything takes a long time with a Tesla, apparently.

Can contact Owing Mills body repair directly through 410-415-1411. Sometimes they answer right away. Sometimes it goes to voicemail. So far experience has been pretty good.

Were you able to get through to someone by calling that number? Would you be able to *please* share with me (via DM) any relevant extension numbers to reach an actual person? I've been trying to schedule a bumper repair for a week now with no success. I emailed the Body Shop support email and have been told to wait for a reply. I call the number and it's a maddening menu and voicemail for sales or parts--nothing for service or body shop.

Thanks!