Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I take my car in to get some minor body repair what do I about the key card and valet mode? It'll be in the shop for 2 days. Not sure if they know anything about a Tesla so I'm kind of concerned about what I need to do when I drop the car off.
Thanks for your help.
I would charge the Tesla to 90%; Turn off PIN to Drive; Turn off Sentry mode and remove the SD card. Make sure you have a second key card in your possession. You can either set Valet mode or set a speed limit, either one will set up for driving in Chill Mode. You can leave cabin overheat protection turned on, it is only active for 12 hours after you park. To extend cabin overheat protection beyond 12 hours you would need to remotely unlock, re-lock the vehicle to reset the 12 hour limit. Turn off climate control or set to fan only (no AC) so if they forget and leave the card in the Tesla the AC will not run. The repair shop should remove the card from the vehicle, keep with the other vehicle keys. (You might want to place the key card in an Id badge holder with a lanyard when you drop off the Tesla so the are less likely to lose the card.)

Last edited:
I would charge the Tesla to 90%; Turn off PIN to Drive; Turn off Sentry mode and remove the SD card. Make sure you have a second key card in your possession. You can either set Valet mode or set a speed limit, either one will set up for driving in Chill Mode. You can leave cabin overheat protection turned on, it is only active for 12 hours after you park. To extend cabin overheat protection beyond 12 hours you would need to remotely unlock, re-lock the vehicle to reset the 12 hour limit. Turn off climate control or set to fan only (no AC) so if they forget and leave the card in the Tesla the AC will not run. The repair shop should remove the card from the vehicle, keep with the other vehicle keys. (You might want to place the key card in an Id badge holder with a lanyard when you drop off the Tesla so the are less likely to lose the card.)
Wow, what great ideas. Thank you for the help. I really appreciate your time it took to respond.