Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Shop Broke My Rear Glass on My 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 needed a new trunk. The original got hit in a parking lot by something and pushed in and dented just the front by the T logo. Simple right? I took it in to a Tesla authorized body shop that a friend had used for his Tesla in the past and said they did great work. After the car was there for over a week, I called them and the insurance rep at the body shop told me there's a problem. They broke my rear glass (well, not just rear but of course more than 1/2 the roof is the same glass). They are going to order a new rear glass from Tesla and repair it. Hopefully because they do a lot of Tesla's (and there were a LOT of them there) they know what they are doing and it won't leak. Problem is, my 2018 had the film on it that when the glass gets wet it turns an orange color. Now, I know Tesla stopped midway thru 2018 making that glass. If they replace my glass with a new piece and only the front top piece turns orange won't that look funny? Should I have them at their expense replace the top front piece too so none will be the orange color and it will match? Pisses me off that they broke the glass. All they had to do was paint the new trunk part and install. Any recommendations on what I should do? Thanks.

I don't think anyone will be out in the rain checking to see what color your roof is. No one will notice that one piece turns red and the other doesn't, and that only happens when the glass is wet anyway. Don't worry about it, or perhaps come up with a story about why you need the new glass: "Scotty can't beam me up through that infra-red blocking glass, so I had to go with this."

Reactions: XPsionic
My car, along with many thousands, was made during the time when they still had the red for the top, but the newer, non red glass for the rear. It will definitely not ‘look funny.” My guess is that you’ll probably have that car 10 years and no one will even see it. I can’t tell you the last time I have even noticed, even during the rain.

Honestly stop crying about it. I had my trunk quarter and bumper painted blue. Unauthorized body shop cracked my glass when trying to align my rear glass. Being honest I cracked it too trying to align it. Just get it replaced. So much easier.

Reactions: Jo060