Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Shop Corrections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for other peoples opinions on how to handle a situation with dealing with Tesla. I got my Black Model Y in September and when I got it it has a small chip on the hood which I asked Tesla to correct. They said they would correct it but that would require them to repaint the entire hood and that’s where the problems started.

When I got my car back and tried to get the PPF installed the shop said that there were a bunch of paint nibs under the paint and if they installed the PPF there would be bubbles all over the hood. I told Tesla that this had to happen when they repainted the hood to fix the chip and they said they would fix it. The PPF shop said I needed to be wet sanded to get the finish right.

I’ve now had a loaner car for weeks because every time I go to pick my car up and Tesla said they fixed the paint issue I can still see the paint nibs.

Should I just get my car back and take it to a paint correction shop myself? Or should I keep insisting that Tesla fix it correctly?

Anyone have a similar experience?

Attachments

• 64941A11-97B2-477F-87D3-15FE46243FBB.jpeg
    64941A11-97B2-477F-87D3-15FE46243FBB.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 9CC2844B-A093-4A7C-8454-B17950E443C5.jpeg
    9CC2844B-A093-4A7C-8454-B17950E443C5.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 107
Looking for other peoples opinions on how to handle a situation with dealing with Tesla. I got my Black Model Y in September and when I got it it has a small chip on the hood which I asked Tesla to correct. They said they would correct it but that would require them to repaint the entire hood and that’s where the problems started.

When I got my car back and tried to get the PPF installed the shop said that there were a bunch of paint nibs under the paint and if they installed the PPF there would be bubbles all over the hood. I told Tesla that this had to happen when they repainted the hood to fix the chip and they said they would fix it. The PPF shop said I needed to be wet sanded to get the finish right.

I’ve now had a loaner car for weeks because every time I go to pick my car up and Tesla said they fixed the paint issue I can still see the paint nibs.

Should I just get my car back and take it to a paint correction shop myself? Or should I keep insisting that Tesla fix it correctly?

Anyone have a similar experience?
Classic example of converting a minor defect into a major headache. I had a small paint defect on edge of hood. Tesla said they would fix it and blend it to rest of hood. I decided to use touch up and defect is gone. Can't be detected. Sometimes the search for perfection just leads to making the situation worse.

In an earlier life I managed a dealership body shop. On the day a customer takes delivery of a brand-new vehicle, a chip, or other minor defect can seem heart-breaking. I would always advise customers to live with the car for a month before forcing me to break the factory finish. By that time, other dings would have brought some better perspective. Those that followed that advice were better served in the long run.

Classic example of converting a minor defect into a major headache. I had a small paint defect on edge of hood. Tesla said they would fix it and blend it to rest of hood. I decided to use touch up and defect is gone. Can't be detected. Sometimes the search for perfection just leads to making the situation worse.
Update: After 3 1/2 weeks Tesla finally got it right and I was able to get it wrapped with PPF.

I understand what you are saying, but I expect a $70k car to be free of chips. Especially since it’s black and shows everything.

Reactions: MY-user