Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Shop Nicked the Badge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may remember my previous post about the collection where I mentioned a small nick in the bonnet meant our new Model 3 was being booked in for a bonnet respray a few weeks after collection.

Well, we got the car back last week and generally very happy. I can't notice a difference in paint colour so I think they did an excellent job.

Except... just yesterday we realised that the Tesla logo from the bonnet was missing! We panicked thinking it had been stolen, but the bodywork where the badge should have been is perfect. A quick look at the CCTV shows that the badge was missing when I brought it back from the Service Centre.

I can't believe that I didn't notice sooner! Service Centre were great, and very apologetic. A mobile service technician is coming next week to attach a new one.

What luck, eh?

Maybe they removed the badge to respray and forgot to put it back. On a similar note I just had my car back from the SC after them fixing a number of paint defects and issues with the finish and noticed a deep scratch on the rear bumper. The photos from booking the car in showed that it wasn't there before so it's going to be another visit to the SC to get that fixed :(

Heheh - I personally wouldn't mind missing the logo. It probably looks quite good that way and won't trap dirt :)

But yeah - Tell me about the paintwork - my Model 3 (black) is by FAR the WORST paintjob of any new cars I have owned. It looks terrible and is covered in imperfections. Going in for a second time next week but doubt they are going to fi it properly as it requires a full respray if you ask me... it is covered in swirls and without a thick layer of wax people think the car is 10+ years old.

If only paint was the only problem....

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
@dst87 Wonder if I can get replacement badges from the Service Centres. I'm thinking about PPF, and if I do - I'll ask the guys to remove the badges, place the film, and put them back on top rather than have cut-outs around them (which is the default XPel method apparently).. there's always the risk the badges may not come off nicely.. would you mind asking the mobile tech if that's possible?

@dst87 Wonder if I can get replacement badges from the Service Centres. I'm thinking about PPF, and if I do - I'll ask the guys to remove the badges, place the film, and put them back on top rather than have cut-outs around them (which is the default XPel method apparently).. there's always the risk the badges may not come off nicely.. would you mind asking the mobile tech if that's possible?
The badges come off cleanly. Brian from i1tesla showed how on one of his videos. I removed my dual motor letters. You warm the badge with a heat gun or hairdryer and then use a bit of fishing line to peel the letters off. Mine came off intact.

• Informative
Reactions: jimmymc
You may remember my previous post about the collection where I mentioned a small nick in the bonnet meant our new Model 3 was being booked in for a bonnet respray a few weeks after collection.

Well, we got the car back last week and generally very happy. I can't notice a difference in paint colour so I think they did an excellent job.

Except... just yesterday we realised that the Tesla logo from the bonnet was missing! We panicked thinking it had been stolen, but the bodywork where the badge should have been is perfect. A quick look at the CCTV shows that the badge was missing when I brought it back from the Service Centre.

I can't believe that I didn't notice sooner! Service Centre were great, and very apologetic. A mobile service technician is coming next week to attach a new one.

What luck, eh?

How long did yours take to get re-sprayed... like you, some minor defects on the bonnet (I didn't notice, and still can barely see) and I'm dropping of tomorrow afternoon.

Also what loaner car did you get? I've got quite a bit of driving to do next week for work and curious what they will give me.

How long did yours take to get re-sprayed... like you, some minor defects on the bonnet (I didn't notice, and still can barely see) and I'm dropping of tomorrow afternoon.

Also what loaner car did you get? I've got quite a bit of driving to do next week for work and curious what they will give me.

Our car was in for about a week in total. We had a 2016 (pre-facelift) Model S 75D. It was fine. Not as nippy as our Model 3 and the interior nowhere near as nice. Shows how far Tesla have come. Still a lovely car to drive though.

Our car was in for about a week in total. We had a 2016 (pre-facelift) Model S 75D. It was fine. Not as nippy as our Model 3 and the interior nowhere near as nice. Shows how far Tesla have come. Still a lovely car to drive though.

How long did you have to wait for an appointment and did anyone get in contact with you beforehand or did you just use the app to schedule a service?

Thanks, they have given me a '15 p90d as a loaner yesterday (pre face-lift as well). Been driving it around for 24hrs and all of the family (including the 7 year old) mises our M3. Things are also much more manual (5 different stalks on the steering wheel).

Don't get me wrong, it's super nice and a luxury car, but feels the difference between driving a suped up
cadillac vs a sports car.

Now anxiously awaiting our Electric Arc back!

Reactions: Rooster6655
How long did you have to wait for an appointment and did anyone get in contact with you beforehand or did you just use the app to schedule a service?

It was the service centre who noticed the issue on collection. They logged it, and someone called by within a couple hours to arrange the repair. Very good service on the whole.

Curious how did you get back hold of them, did you have to schedule another service or someone answered the phone?

I had already been emailing back and forth about the paint repair with someone at the SC, so I just dropped her another email when I realised the problem.

Reactions: Rooster6655
If you are after a budget upgrade I’ll send you my badge!

Part of me says that would be a dick move on my behalf and part of me likes it Edifice!

An ex once bought me a fake Rolex whilst she was working in KL. I've never fancied a real one let alone been the kind of bloke to wear a fake one. But I eventually tried it when my daily 'arm clock' broke and the fun wasn't in looking all bling. It was seeing how differently people treated you when they thought you had one. I had a car dealer convinced it was real at a dealership and I had to point out that if I had a real Rolex, I wouldn't be buying a Ford Puma for £4K :p

• Funny
Reactions: dst87