Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body shop repair >2 months no end it sight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a small accident no airbag deployment. Its a 2015 model s it has been in the shop for 2 months and 4 days so far.
Insurance covered 30 days of a rental car, to date I have spent 1600.00 in rental cars. Tesla and the body shop blame each other. Has anyone else experienced something like this. I love the Tesla but this is extremely frustrating. A local TV station has contacted me to see if I would do a story on the hidden expense of owning a Tesla. I am holding off in hopes that it will be fixed at some point.

I had a small accident no airbag deployment. Its a 2015 model s it has been in the shop for 2 months and 4 days so far.
Insurance covered 30 days of a rental car, to date I have spent 1600.00 in rental cars. Tesla and the body shop blame each other. Has anyone else experienced something like this. I love the Tesla but this is extremely frustrating. A local TV station has contacted me to see if I would do a story on the hidden expense of owning a Tesla. I am holding off in hopes that it will be fixed at some point.
Unfortunately, this story has been conveyed all too many times on this website and others. There's a well-known history of the backlog that Tesla supposedly has as it relates to parts for damage repair. It can be a matter of the body shop pointing the finger to re-direct blame, so ask to see the repair order history requested by them from Tesla. Take this information to Tesla and see what they have to say.

You should also pm @JonMc directly, Jon Mcneil, President of Sales and Service. This is unacceptable. They will make it right!

Reactions: DC Autocraft
From what I've heard, Tesla has been improving the wait time for parts. Historically it was very bad, but now Tesla says that 90% of the parts are delivered in 10 days or less.

Part of the issue seems to be the ordering system that the body shops must use to order Tesla parts. It's a system Tesla built in-house, whereas all the other manufacturers use a "standard" third party system. Last time I spoke with someone familiar with the issue, they said it was a combination of the body shops not being as familiar with the system and the behavior of the system differing from the other, more common system the other manufacturers use. As a result, the body shop often thinks they've ordered parts, but in reality they haven't, and weeks go by before they figure it out. This is not to say this isn't Tesla's problem - it is. It's their system, and if their certified body shops can't figure it out, they have an ease of use and training problem to solve.

Last edited:
This is a common problem reported on this forum and in the media. You should try to contact the people suggested above.

Honestly if the same issue persists by this time next year, after hundreds of thousands of Model 3s are delivered, Tesla could be facing doom.

Definitely call the number and talk to a body shop advocate if you haven't done so yet. I got that advice when I was waiting for a couple of plastic brackets with no ETA per the bodyshop. I called the number and things started to happen. Tesla was able to verify that the delay was on their part. Tesla took ownership of the problem and fixed it. If tesla is saying that its the bodyshop, it probably is the bodyshop.

Unfortunately, this story has been conveyed all too many times on this website and others. There's a well-known history of the backlog that Tesla supposedly has as it relates to parts for damage repair. It can be a matter of the body shop pointing the finger to re-direct blame, so ask to see the repair order history requested by them from Tesla. Take this information to Tesla and see what they have to say.

My friend was telling me that parts are in short supply with production lines taking priority, so body shops have to wait and wait.

As always, the apologist come out and defend and excuse blatant incompetence.

Priority? Shouldn't the customer who dropped 100k and is making payments have a little bit of priority?
Response are always contact so and so, or email Joe Blow and he will take care of it... Why should it come to that over and over?
I get that body shops suck.. had enough experience with them and Ill never side with them since most lie and BS. However, the parts supply issue is something Tesla has acknowledged as being true. After 5 years of making the essentially the same dam car should there still be a parts issue?

His name is Jon Mcneil. See @Model S M.D. post above. Send a personal message via this website to @JonMc:

@Dave e.

Yes, send a private message (called a "conversation" on this website) with @JonMc Believe it or not he's very responsive on this site--pretty impressive for the President of Global Sales and Service. Yes, that's really him. He helped me out tremendously when I had an accident. But this was before the days of the dedicated body shop team, where someone from Tesla is specifically assigned to your case to help expedite things along. Good luck!

Reactions: DC Autocraft
My friend was telling me that parts are in short supply with production lines taking priority, so body shops have to wait and wait.
I believe current owners, who dropped north of $75k, should take priority. You don't prioritize new business over servicing your existing customer base. Word of mouth can be a real bitch.

I believe current owners, who dropped north of $75k, should take priority. You don't prioritize new business over servicing your existing customer base. Word of mouth can be a real bitch.

While I don't disagree with you in practice... In reality though, there are plenty of examples across multiple industries where getting new business takes precedence over the existing business. I think Tesla's biggest issue with this is it's need to sell as many cars as fast as possible and everything else comes in a distance second... I have been noticing as time/cash/value has gone on and improved that Tesla has been able to dedicate more resources to existing ownership issues but at the end of the day selling a new car is going to be far more important to the bottom line then anything else...

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not saying I disagree with you. All I'm saying is that reality doesn't always meet expectations... I'm still waiting on a part from the local body shop due to someone rear-ending my wife in stop and go traffic but luckily the car is drivable so we haven't been forced to give it up...

Jeff

I've had a very similar issue and feel your pain. I keep hoping Tesla would drastically improve this situation and the number of these stories would decrease. This is one of my biggest concerns for Tesla and their future existence.

We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order and there's no reason for a repair to take this long. Let us help!
As a long time lurker...recent member / buyer this is hugely important...anctodally I had heard this information which was enough spur me to finally purchase. In the spirit of constant improvement getting costs of repair costs down should lead to even greater new sales.