Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body shop told me my MS LR had a rear fender repaired at factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked my car up from authorized body shop for the rear bumper replacement rear ended on a two month old car by a driver without drivers license and insurance policy, what are my options? The shop did a quick and clean job on the bumper.

While I was there, the shop employee told me my rear left fender might be repaired and re-paint previously. Since I never had any accidents prior to this bumper replacement. The only theory is that tesla has messed up fender in the factory and repaired it prior to my delivery. Shop said that based on the glue residue, fender alignment and dust particle under the paint. They even shown me a reference white refresh MSLR at the shop to demonstrate the differences.

Does my car look to be repaired previously to folks on the forum? I do have a trunk lid alignment issue upon taking the delivery which hasn't been fixed due to appointment availability. Now I am wondering if it's related to this repair. TBH, I don't know if there is much I can do to prove the car has been repaired at the factory since it's been 3 months.

Attachments

• reference car left.jpg
    reference car left.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 199
  • my car left.jpg
    my car left.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 161
  • rear left fender.jpg
    rear left fender.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Dcam
I will mention to the SC about this bedsides my original appointment if case there are something they can do about it. However, I don't have the expertise to tell if the repair has been done and I don't fully trust Tesla at this point. Trying to get some 3rd party opinions.
There's no legal reason to do anything. Where's your proof? What do you want to see happen? I'm curious?

Cars can be damaged during transport and get fixed. Did you think they just throw cars away, I mean if it was fender bender'd during transport?

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
There's no legal reason to do anything. Where's your proof? What do you want to see happen? I'm curious?

Cars can be damaged during transport and get fixed. Did you think they just throw cars away, I mean if it was fender bender'd during transport?
I understand your points. I live 20 mins from fremont factory and I picked up my car directly from fremont factory. My understanding is that if the car was damaged during production line, they should at least replacing the defected part instead of just do a repair job since the car is still in factory.

Reactions: Valtteri
I have similar glue on the inside of the trunk seams as well so I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, my friend who also has the same car has it too so I suspect it's pretty typical.
This. It's probably on every spot welded car made if we look closely enough. It's most likely excess structural adhesive used along with squeeze resistance spot welding. It's kind of standard fare.

I don’t any of that on the rear hatch of my car, not even a little bit. I did have some dents on the inside of my rear passenger door and scratches where the paint was rubbed off down to the metal along the door edge. It’s as if they took a hammer to get it close to alignment and it still isn’t aligned like the drivers door is.

Reactions: Valtteri
I will mention to the SC about this bedsides my original appointment if case there are something they can do about it. However, I don't have the expertise to tell if the repair has been done and I don't fully trust Tesla at this point. Trying to get some 3rd party opinions.
Don't try to get a Tesla SC do any body work - they are not competent to do any body work than dropping in a painted bumper cover. Since you are already at a body shop, you should ask them if there is anything needed to be done (other than being curious about what actually happened).

Reactions: thu1