Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Shop Woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried a very big road trip -- Seattle to Annapolis, MD and back. All went well until just outside Indianapolis where I ran over some road debris (It looked like it was probably half a big brake drum that fell off an 18 wheeler). No way to avoid it; there was another 18 wheeler in the adjacent lane and the shoulder was too narrow to leave the road. Evidently, it really tore up the underside of my Model S. I drove it in that condition for another 600 miles to get to my destination, Annapolis, MD. First problem: I talked to no fewer than seven Tesla approved body shops in the Washington DC area. None seemed interested in even looking at the car. One shop even said they won't take any more Teslas because they can't take the heat from the owners when repairs stretch out to months and months waiting for parts from Tesla. Others had similar, though not quite as drastic a story, but all had huge waiting lists to even bring in their car for an estimate. Second problem: every time I tried to call the 24-7 Tesla hotline, I was subjected to 45 minutes of elevator music and assurances that my call is very important. I finally found a body shop in Annapolis who promised to give it everything he had. He developed a list of about two and a half pages of type (single space) showing all the parts he would need. His estimate was "4 days to 4 months, depending on how long it takes Tesla to get us the parts." So my wife and I rented a car for about a week and paid hotel, restaurant, etc costs while we waited for that answer. Then, we decided to fly home and wait. That was almost three weeks ago. Today, I talked to the body shop manager who explained that the sub frame assembly for the whole front end of the car was located two weeks ago and promised to be shipped within 48 hours. Supposedly, the service center in Cleveland had one in stock and would ship it right away. Nobody knows where it is now or when or even if it will ever be delivered. We're looking at another two weeks of assembly after arrival of parts. I've tried calling Tesla about this several times, but so far no progress. Does anyone here have a magic phone number or e-mail address to get me in touch with someone who cares? Being 3,000 miles away from my car and still making huge car payments, faced with another cross country flight and other expenses, I'm ready to blow a gasket. Any advice?

So sorry, that sounds awful. Unfortunately I have no good advice for you. The stories make me hesitant to ever leave the Bay Area In my MS. Is the subframe assembly what covers the battery?
No, the subframe assembly, as I understand it, is a fairly large piece that supports the radar (under the nose cone) and the fenders, and just about everything else in the front of the car. Evidently, it's a hard piece to find in the inventory

No, the subframe assembly, as I understand it, is a fairly large piece that supports the radar (under the nose cone) and the fenders, and just about everything else in the front of the car. Evidently, it's a hard piece to find in the inventory
Flyguy, the Tesla battery pack has a large kevlar (I think)_ cover the fits under the cold plate for the thousands of lithium battery cells. The impact of my incident actually pierced the kevlar but as far as the body shop guys can determine so far (without further disassembly) it did not harm the batteries themselves nor the battery management system (BMS) components or the cold plate. I believe this battery protection kevlar (I think) shield is separate from the sub frame assembly. We're all hoping for the best here . . .

Reactions: Flyguy