TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Body Side Moldings

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Puyallup Bill, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

I think I want body side moldings - read that as door ding protection. I got painted body side moldings from http://www.sportwing.com/ for my LEAF. They seemed to be excellent quality, made to fit, use quality 3M adhesive, and a perfect paint match for my red LEAF. I contacted them to see if they were considering such for the model S, and the reply was that if they can find a model S in the local area, they will take measurements.

Anyone in the vicinity of Valley View, Ohio want to volunteer?

2. ddruz

ddruz Member

I'd love to see a picture of this if you go ahead with it. I'd be very interested.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I never understood the point of these. It's totally dependent on the height and crown difference between two vehicles. With so many SUVs around, the body side molding isn't going to do squat as the ding would happen above the molding.

4. Bearman

Bearman Member

Maybe extended door handles while the car still being locked would solve the problem :rolleyes:

5. orlando

orlando Member

Didn't gazillions of dollars go into making this thing stupidly aerodynamic? Don't even small protrusions mess things up? This is why the door handles retract and there is no rear wiper...

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Most of the aerodynamic gain is because the underside of the Model S is flat and there is no exhaust system (The Citroën DS from the Video section did the same flat bottom trick although the exhaust does stick out.) Other than the basic body shape, which isn't as aerodynamic as it could be, the rest is mostly eye-candy (and perhaps cost savings on the part of the rear wiper).

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

All of my cars that have had side moldings had way fewer (but not zero) parking lot door dings. Cars without have gotten chipped and dinged terribly. I try to park my Model S far away from other cars in the lot, but invariably when I come out some guy will have pulled in right next to me in spite of the fact that the area of the lot where I am is empty.:cursing:

8. Holden

Holden Member

True, but - as with mknox - my car has been "saved" countless times by its side moldings (I know, because they show plenty of evidence of encounters with careless a-holes), and it concerns me that my next car will likely do without - as manufacturers seem to be eliminating them for a cleaner look.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I thought it was for the rust potential.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. They haven't been drilled into the panels for years, just stuck on to the surface. I've never had rust anywhere near the body side molding.

11. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

BUMP
    Anyone near Valley View Ohio interested?