Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bold prediction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
top gear is an entertainment brand and the branding excludes EV's because the show is designed to appeal to traditional fire and "ICE" gear heads... I wouldn't be surprised if the show continues to be about ICE vehicles even once they have become antiques, aimed at the similar type of cultish diehard niches that today cling to film photography or vinyl records. don't expect to ever see top gear embrace EV's and after what they did to Tesla, I wouldn't expect Tesla to ever subject themselves to that gauntlet again (fool me once...). to the dust bin with the lot of them I say!

I'd be a bit bonkers to imagine Elon would unveil the Model Eon Top Gear .... no, just that it would be great if Elon did appear on TG (The 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' segment), and in his measured, concise and thoughtful manner set about showing Jeremy Clarkson to be the oil-fuelled moron that he is. I'd love to hear him espouse EVs in a room full of petrol-heads and inspire all the 10-year olds that watch the program to own an EV when they grow up.... Personally, I find Clarkson an objectionable bigot, and an embarrassment to the broadcasting corporation that is one of my country's proudest achievements. Quite entertaining all the same... and perhaps the idea of Elon on Top Gear is not so silly. One thing Clarkson et al do engage in is self-deprication. A 'weren't-we-so-stupid-not-to-see-that-EVs-are-far-superior-to-any-other-car-and-to-go-on-mindlessly-about-fuel-cells-and-v-8s' feature would certainly be entertaining.
If EVs are to get real traction, the Imprezza-driving brigade need to be won over....

No fricking way this happens.

Elon is still probably pissed at them for slandering the roadster that it only gets 55 miles of range, because they drove it as hard as possible to kill the battery .

Last edited:
It is taped, but only on the Wednesday before airing (Sunday). There have been rare occasions where the Star in the Car segment was taped earlier, but only because the celebrity wouldn't have been available on taping day. I think that's only happened a couple of times in the past 21 series of Top Gear.

They don't totally avoid electric cars, but they certainly aren't fans of them either. They have done segments on the Honda Clarity (fuel cell car), the GM HiWire (prototype fuel cell car), did a cross country test of three electric cars (Ford Focus, Nissan Leaf and a Mitsubishi somethingorother) and even made their own home made electric car, later modified into a series hybrid. Except for the Clarity and the HiWire (both reviewed by James May), they made fun of them.

I don't know if they will ever test a Model S. They just started their 21st series (usually 2 series of about 8 shows each per year) so we'll have to see if they get their hands on one and how they treat it. I just hope that they don't stress the 18 hours to charge it (using household current). At the very least, they should use whatever they have over there that compares to our 220-240V home plugs. Otherwise it's like saying that ICE cars take forever to refuel....if you run the gas in via a 1/4 inch diameter plastic tube. I would suggest they give it to James May (the intellectual one) for a week to use as a normal car, and make sure he has a dryer plug he can charge it with at his home.

Well, I was wrong. At least for this episode. But the show reached new lows of scripted lameness..... complete dross. My kids loved it.
They did mention the i8 however, which I think will feature on a future programme. Clarkson seems to like that one, I think because it has a hole into which you can pour petrol.

I'd be a bit bonkers to imagine Elon would unveil the Model Eon Top Gear .... no, just that it would be great if Elon did appear on TG (The 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' segment), and in his measured, concise and thoughtful manner set about showing Jeremy Clarkson to be the oil-fuelled moron that he is. I'd love to hear him espouse EVs in a room full of petrol-heads and inspire all the 10-year olds that watch the program to own an EV when they grow up.... Personally, I find Clarkson an objectionable bigot, and an embarrassment to the broadcasting corporation that is one of my country's proudest achievements. Quite entertaining all the same... and perhaps the idea of Elon on Top Gear is not so silly. One thing Clarkson et al do engage in is self-deprication. A 'weren't-we-so-stupid-not-to-see-that-EVs-are-far-superior-to-any-other-car-and-to-go-on-mindlessly-about-fuel-cells-and-v-8s' feature would certainly be entertaining.
If EVs are to get real traction, the Imprezza-driving brigade need to be won over....

Great news I am an imprezza driver 227 hp manual transmision wrx wagon owner
And I bought me a tesla model s because it is simply the most amazing car you can buy today
I would never own an automatic gear box car
but I will deal with a single speed awesome torque of electric
I fly model airplanes, electric of course, no noise no fuel smell no clean up
ice suddenly seems to be so old fashioned now
yes i am a convert, march 8 is when my baby is due