Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Bollinger Motors to Unveil All-Electric Sport Utility Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of teasing abstract pictures of the project in progress, Bollinger Motors will unveil today its all-electric sport utility truck at an event in New York. The company will stream the event at 7 p.m. ET on its Facebook page.

The electric drive system is built from off-the shelf components, but is powered by a Bollinger-designed lithium-ion battery pack. The vehicle is said to have easily replaceable riveted body panels, enabling owners to rapidly transform from truck to SUV.

The company’s website promises best-in-class torque, horsepower, ground clearance, and power weight ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it looks like a highway vehicle it needs to be federally approved with airbags, crash tests, etc in order to be sold 'new', right??. This is why we can't purchase a Twizzy from Renault EU or a new Suzuki KEI from Japan. So what legal loophole do they plan on using in the US? To operate on the extensive forest & county roads in Wyoming your vehicle needs to be registered and insured. Each Rocky Mt State has their own rules so you need to research if you plan to cross State lines.

So in WY you can reg a used KEI truck which gets an ATV/golf-cart plate but cannot go on the Interstate and should avoid traffic on the State Highways too. Haven't run into full-size homebuilts successfully getting plates but maybe this is possible: if they only build 99 B1s per year are they ok to get a federal VIN?
--

I wrote this in post #32

"B1 will have a GVWR over 10k lbs (3900 lbs for the truck plus payload of 6101 lbs) therefore qualifying it as a Class 3 Commercial Vehicle.

Class 3 commercial vehicles do not require air bags. "

Class 3 commercial vehicles don't require an MPG or MPGe, Monroney sticker nor crash tests. Towards the end of the Obama Administration there was talk of implementing some or all of these rules on Class 3 commercial vehicles but that is now dead.

Neither Twizzy from Renault EU or a new Suzuki KEI from Japan have a GVWR over 10k lbs.

Ram 3500, GMC Sierra 3500, Ford E-350, Ford F-350, Hummer H1 = examples of Class 3.
B1's 3900 pounds would seem to place it with these in Class 2: Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Ford F-150. If they are going the weight route, then they should offer sufficient weight.

They could increase battery size thus raising weight to ModelS level (4700 pounds) or beyond. Hmm, getting interesting . . .
--

Last edited:
Ram 3500, GMC Sierra 3500, Ford E-350, Ford F-350, Hummer H1 = examples of Class 3.
B1's 3900 pounds would seem to place it with these in Class 2: Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Ford F-150. If they are going the weight route, then they should offer sufficient weight.

They could increase battery size thus raising weight to ModelS level (4700 pounds) or beyond. Hmm, getting interesting . . .
--

It is the weight of the car PLUS the payload capacity that equals the gross vehicle weight rating GVWR.

It is GVWR that determines class.

B1 would be Class 3 if produced.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Seems they overstate the towing capacity just to get into Cat 3. Safe tow capacity is not just power, which this no doubt has, but vehicle weight sufficient to help stabilize the entire rig. For example: ModelX weighs some 4800 pounds and rates to tow 5000 pounds. B1 @ 3900 pounds somehow can safely tow 6100 pound trailer?? Its not like it has a gooseneck ball mount - it's a bumper pull same as the X.
--

• Informative
Reactions: gene and Jaff
Seems they overstate the towing capacity just to get into Cat 3. Safe tow capacity is not just power, which this no doubt has, but vehicle weight sufficient to help stabilize the entire rig. For example: ModelX weighs some 4800 pounds and rates to tow 5000 pounds. B1 @ 3900 pounds somehow can safely tow 6100 pound trailer?? Its not like it has a gooseneck ball mount - it's a bumper pull same as the X.
--

X was designed with acceleration and handling in mind. The ultimate soccer mom/dad mobile.

B1 was designed as a farm work truck. Off-road,payload and towing capacity as well. Frame and suspension design matter. It is not just the weight of the vehicle.

I am sure as soon(if) it comes to production the truck magazines will test its 6101 lbs claim.

Would LOVE an EV I can get dirty with a lot of utility. I know the X is the "utility SUV" Tesla but there's no way I'd want to muck around in the mud or even tow my boat with it for that matter. Hope the Tesla pick up is more like the Bollinger and less like this:
imageshandler.ashx

Reactions: SwTslaGrl
Couldn't agree more. Although I think it goes beyond styling and Bollinger represents more a design philosophy that complements rather than extends Tesla.
I know this representation is charicature, but I see it more as: if you want your Tesla console updated, you get an OTA software update. With the Bollinger, I sense I'd gladly take a template and drill to the dash metal panel, and proudly put in whatever gizmos and instruments I feel like, much like a 60's Cessna.

Thanks Rob Stark for sharing, you seem excited about this, so am I. But you’re consistently on it- Are you connected to the project somehow, If you don’t mind me asking here?( selfishly hoping for a Bollinger Insider contact in this forum)

Nope. Obsessive compulsively read the EV news sites/blogs/vlogs. :confused:

Vid was at insideevs today. Plus, I am subscribed to Bollinger Motors on Youtube.

I get a notification when they post a new vid.

Reactions: EchoDelta
--

Note that GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is the weight of the vehicle and it's on-board payload. It does not include trailers. Weight of the loaded vehicle plus it's trailer(s) is the GCW, or Gross Combined Weight,

GSP

I'd really like some updates from them with substance. Right now it's all a tease. Where are they with testing, where with finding a partner to build it, are they on or off track from where they'd like to be to release in 2018/2019, etc?

Right now things feel too superficial with all of these 30 second teases. The only saving grace is they haven't asked for money yet I suppose.

Reservations that are not backed by customers deposits are meaningless. Just like FF claiming they had 60,000 deposits.

A reservation backed with cash means much more.

But raising a hand, giving the company your personal info like email and phone number does mean something. It means interest. No one wants to be bothered with sales calls if they have zero interest in the vehicle.

Reactions: gene
I'd really like some updates from them with substance. Right now it's all a tease. Where are they with testing, where with finding a partner to build it, are they on or off track from where they'd like to be to release in 2018/2019, etc?

Right now things feel too superficial with all of these 30 second teases. The only saving grace is they haven't asked for money yet I suppose.

They said an MSRP, a target for Job 1 and a paid reservation for a place in the queue should come this January.