Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Bollinger Motors to Unveil All-Electric Sport Utility Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of teasing abstract pictures of the project in progress, Bollinger Motors will unveil today its all-electric sport utility truck at an event in New York. The company will stream the event at 7 p.m. ET on its Facebook page.

The electric drive system is built from off-the shelf components, but is powered by a Bollinger-designed lithium-ion battery pack. The vehicle is said to have easily replaceable riveted body panels, enabling owners to rapidly transform from truck to SUV.

The company’s website promises best-in-class torque, horsepower, ground clearance, and power weight ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bollinger B2 Pickup Truck!
View attachment 342484

We recently had to buy an ICE pickup truck (F150 crew cab with 6.5 ft bed and 5.4L V8) because hauling two adults, two kids, two dogs, various pieces of furniture, and things like wood chippers and wheelbarrows to our rural vacation home in our Model S wasn't working very well (things would be even more difficult in our Model 3). So I now have a much better appreciation for how useful a good pickup truck can be in the right situation.

The Bollinger B1 truck didn't really catch my attention. But the B2 has some pretty awesome features. The lumber pass-through that lets long things go through the cab and the frunk (thanks to not having a large lump of iron sitting up there) and the ability to move the back seats and open up the back of the cab to carry 4'x8' sheets of plywood was pure genius! I'd love to replace our F150 with an EV truck and this certainly looks like it could be a contender.

Reactions: SwTslaGrl
We recently had to buy an ICE pickup truck (F150 crew cab with 6.5 ft bed and 5.4L V8) because hauling two adults, two kids, two dogs, various pieces of furniture, and things like wood chippers and wheelbarrows to our rural vacation home in our Model S wasn't working very well (things would be even more difficult in our Model 3). So I now have a much better appreciation for how useful a good pickup truck can be in the right situation.

The Bollinger B1 truck didn't really catch my attention. But the B2 has some pretty awesome features. The lumber pass-through that lets long things go through the cab and the frunk (thanks to not having a large lump of iron sitting up there) and the ability to move the back seats and open up the back of the cab to carry 4'x8' sheets of plywood was pure genius! I'd love to replace our F150 with an EV truck and this certainly looks like it could be a contender.
I am amazed at the number of people who think they "need" a pickup truck when they really only use it a few times a year to haul stuff and the rest of the time, it just guzzles gas. As I drive down the road, most of the pickup trucks I see are empty in the back (and usually have a single driver).
If people would actually consider alternatives (rental trucks/vans, a trailer for a Model X, etc.), they could save money and the environment.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and KJD
I am amazed at the number of people who think they "need" a pickup truck when they really only use it a few times a year to haul stuff and the rest of the time, it just guzzles gas. As I drive down the road, most of the pickup trucks I see are empty in the back (and usually have a single driver).
If people would actually consider alternatives (rental trucks/vans, a trailer for a Model X, etc.), they could save money and the environment.

I agree that using a giant pickup truck as an urban commuter vehicle is really inefficient. But I was really surprised how essential a truck is once you get outside of the city. As an example, we bought a vacation home on 5 acres a couple of years ago and through an odd set of circumstances both real estate agents were there when we started moving stuff in. I asked them what day trash pickup was and they looked at each other, snickered a little, and told us it was when you tossed everything in the back of your truck and drove it to the dump.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando and mspohr
I have a few acres. I commute in my truck and use it to haul furniture and building supplies. I've used it as a truck 1-4 times per month. The rest of the time, it's just a commuter that lets me bomb over dips, gutters, and curbs as I see fit. Total gas usage in the past 10 months has been about $1800. I can live. If I didn't have the truck, I'd have passed on countless purchases that I just couldn't get home without either renting a truck (a pain) or having things delivered (an expense less than owning, but also a pain when you consider having to be there at a certain time).

Also, the lack of crash testing is a deal killer here. When the Workhorse comes out, I might upgrade. Also might go for the hybrid minivan.

If they sell 1000 I'll be impressed. If they make 200 I'll be impressed. If the price is reasonable, I may go for it.
I think they will sell all they can make but as we observed with Tesla, making stuff is hard.
They haven't announced prices but it seems they are going for low volume high price at the start (like Tesla) so price may not be "reasonable".
I personally want the original two door design but this seems to be on the back burner for now so I'll just have to keep my old Land Rover running for a few more years.

Reactions: KJD
upload_2019-1-4_3-17-8.png

Bollinger Motors gets settled in Detroit

Bollinger is looking to raise $100M to finish pre-production engineering and road testing and taking staff from 17 to ~100.

Article also says they are looking for a production site. Maybe they no longer plan to subcontract out the manufacturing and assembly ?
Small volume expensive production.
Elon: Making one car is easy.Making thousands is really hard.

I tried the reservation site. Zero deposit required and I got one right away. What a joke! Those companies are doing everything just to attract investors. Reality is of no concern to them. Nothing's wrong with that it's name of the game.

I tried the reservation site. Zero deposit required and I got one right away. What a joke! Those companies are doing everything just to attract investors. Reality is of no concern to them. Nothing's wrong with that it's name of the game.
Reality is that he's self funding the startup. Looking for investors to fund production. Nice that customers aren't taking the risk.

Reality is that he's self funding the startup. Looking for investors to fund production. Nice that customers aren't taking the risk.

The (only) purpose of actions of those start ups from Faraday Future to Fisker to Rivian to to Bolliger is to impress investors. Consumers should take what they say with a heavy dose of salt or they will be duely disappointed.