TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bollinger truck prototype goes off-road, videos may cause seizures

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by e-FTW, Oct 9, 2017.

1. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

[​IMG]
    I have to say, I am a fan of this truck!
    I do not see myself ever getting any type of truck, but I still really,like the idea.

The silence while crawling through the forest, the absence of tailpipe fumes when driving at low speeds, etc. Plus, I've always been curious to see what unique advantages electric drive could have. The lack of hardware between axles opens up plenty of opportunities, like independent torque levels for traction and regenerative braking.
    This will not be the rock crawler that an XJ is/can be, and it will probably target the high-end 4x4s like Landys and Ranges.
    Still, way cool!

They have just published videos of some off-road testing. Be warned, the videos may get on your nerves, so I will not link to them here. Check them out on Elektrek. You have been warned...
    Bollinger releases footage of working electric truck prototype off-road and on tracks

More details from their launch a few months ago: Bollinger unveils new minimalist and badass-looking all-electric truck with up to 200 miles of range

• Like x 1
  2. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Wow, was I way off. Check out the stats and features here (5 foot water fording ability, sway bar disconnect from inside, crazy approach and departure angles), this thing IS planned to be a beast on the trails: https://www.trucks.com/2017/07/27/bollinger-b1-electric-truck/

3. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

This thing is a vehicle designed by people who have no idea how off road vehicles are actually used. Later this week I'll be taking my truck from my home in the east bay to the Lassen area to go deer hunting. It's about 275 miles on road, and then 30 or so miles off road just to get to the area I'll set up camp. Then, I'll be driving for several days (hopefully fewer), about 30 miles or so each day way off road. Even if the Bollinger is a bare bones off road vehicle, so I have no idea why they're talking about the average number of miles a person drives per day, since that number is primarily urban drivers.

With my truck and its 36 gallon fuel tank, I drive without need for stopping for fuel all the way to where I start hunting and I won't need to refuel until about half way home (or better). There aren't fast chargers out in the woods, so I can't see something like the Bollinger being of any use to me or any of the other people who use trucks as off road vehicles. Maybe the people who buy Land Rovers for Costco runs will like this thing...

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

From what I read, they are targeting a niche market of buyers they know are there. So not mass-market.
    That niche may have a mix of grocery-getters and some off-roaders, ranchers, farmers (like Bollinger himself) and so on.
    So, it is entirely possible they are not making this truck for you or folks that have the same usage pattern. :)

• Helpful x 1
  5. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

Most SUVs/4WD trucks never leave the asphalt and that's an enormous market. If I could use it to tow my boat and tool around in the snow I'd be totally satisfied.

6. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

And this is their problem...if you want something to make Home Depot or Costco runs or do occasional towing, the Model X is a much better choice (and a traditional SUV or pickup is likely even better). I know a lot of ranchers and not a one would put up with a work vehicle that took 12 hours to "refuel" between uses and had such limited range.

If the market is those people who buy Mercedes G Wagens or Land Rovers for urban use, I guess this will appeal to the niche within that niche that wants an EV. That's a pretty dang limited market, though.

7. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Market analysis aside, isn't it pretty cool? Full length pass-through? 120v outlets in the cabin and the bed? Very flexible, as you can take off plenty of panels and pillars.

8. strider

strider Active Member

Likely out of my price range but it could make a cool farm/trail truck. Having 120V outlets would be nice for running a saw or other devices out in the field. Also I used to do trails in my TJ and it would work fine for that. Rarely do very many miles per day and we always stayed in a hotel/motel at night so you could destination charge at night and wheel during the day. (If you camped at a campground there are likely RV spots to plug in) Same could be said for hunting around here. We don't have to go that far to get to hunting. 100 miles will get you into some pretty remote area, camp a day or two, then drive home.

• Like x 1
  9. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

Like Electric said, that's built for some tiny island and NOT the western United States, Arizona probably has more miles dirt road than paved roads in one of the New England states.. I go out with a full tank of gas and bring an additional 5 gallons just to get back to the station. Heck just one of the Roads in Organ Pipe NP is a 45 mile loop of 4x4 high clearance vehicle road dotted with smugglers and illegals..