Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bollinger truck prototype goes off-road, videos may cause seizures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
86a3934.jpg

I have to say, I am a fan of this truck!
I do not see myself ever getting any type of truck, but I still really,like the idea.

The silence while crawling through the forest, the absence of tailpipe fumes when driving at low speeds, etc. Plus, I've always been curious to see what unique advantages electric drive could have. The lack of hardware between axles opens up plenty of opportunities, like independent torque levels for traction and regenerative braking.
This will not be the rock crawler that an XJ is/can be, and it will probably target the high-end 4x4s like Landys and Ranges.
Still, way cool!

They have just published videos of some off-road testing. Be warned, the videos may get on your nerves, so I will not link to them here. Check them out on Elektrek. You have been warned...
Bollinger releases footage of working electric truck prototype off-road and on tracks

More details from their launch a few months ago: Bollinger unveils new minimalist and badass-looking all-electric truck with up to 200 miles of range

This thing is a vehicle designed by people who have no idea how off road vehicles are actually used. Later this week I'll be taking my truck from my home in the east bay to the Lassen area to go deer hunting. It's about 275 miles on road, and then 30 or so miles off road just to get to the area I'll set up camp. Then, I'll be driving for several days (hopefully fewer), about 30 miles or so each day way off road. Even if the Bollinger is a bare bones off road vehicle, so I have no idea why they're talking about the average number of miles a person drives per day, since that number is primarily urban drivers.

With my truck and its 36 gallon fuel tank, I drive without need for stopping for fuel all the way to where I start hunting and I won't need to refuel until about half way home (or better). There aren't fast chargers out in the woods, so I can't see something like the Bollinger being of any use to me or any of the other people who use trucks as off road vehicles. Maybe the people who buy Land Rovers for Costco runs will like this thing...

This thing is a vehicle designed by people who have no idea how off road vehicles are actually used. Later this week I'll be taking my truck from my home in the east bay to the Lassen area to go deer hunting. It's about 275 miles on road, and then 30 or so miles off road just to get to the area I'll set up camp. Then, I'll be driving for several days (hopefully fewer), about 30 miles or so each day way off road. Even if the Bollinger is a bare bones off road vehicle, so I have no idea why they're talking about the average number of miles a person drives per day, since that number is primarily urban drivers.

With my truck and its 36 gallon fuel tank, I drive without need for stopping for fuel all the way to where I start hunting and I won't need to refuel until about half way home (or better). There aren't fast chargers out in the woods, so I can't see something like the Bollinger being of any use to me or any of the other people who use trucks as off road vehicles. Maybe the people who buy Land Rovers for Costco runs will like this thing...
From what I read, they are targeting a niche market of buyers they know are there. So not mass-market.
That niche may have a mix of grocery-getters and some off-roaders, ranchers, farmers (like Bollinger himself) and so on.
So, it is entirely possible they are not making this truck for you or folks that have the same usage pattern. :)

Most SUVs/4WD trucks never leave the asphalt and that's an enormous market. If I could use it to tow my boat and tool around in the snow I'd be totally satisfied.

Reactions: Icer and David99
Most SUVs/4WD trucks never leave the asphalt and that's an enormous market. If I could use it to tow my boat and tool around in the snow I'd be totally satisfied.

And this is their problem...if you want something to make Home Depot or Costco runs or do occasional towing, the Model X is a much better choice (and a traditional SUV or pickup is likely even better). I know a lot of ranchers and not a one would put up with a work vehicle that took 12 hours to "refuel" between uses and had such limited range.

If the market is those people who buy Mercedes G Wagens or Land Rovers for urban use, I guess this will appeal to the niche within that niche that wants an EV. That's a pretty dang limited market, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scrith and Troy
Likely out of my price range but it could make a cool farm/trail truck. Having 120V outlets would be nice for running a saw or other devices out in the field. Also I used to do trails in my TJ and it would work fine for that. Rarely do very many miles per day and we always stayed in a hotel/motel at night so you could destination charge at night and wheel during the day. (If you camped at a campground there are likely RV spots to plug in) Same could be said for hunting around here. We don't have to go that far to get to hunting. 100 miles will get you into some pretty remote area, camp a day or two, then drive home.

Reactions: e-FTW
Like Electric said, that's built for some tiny island and NOT the western United States, Arizona probably has more miles dirt road than paved roads in one of the New England states.. I go out with a full tank of gas and bring an additional 5 gallons just to get back to the station. Heck just one of the Roads in Organ Pipe NP is a 45 mile loop of 4x4 high clearance vehicle road dotted with smugglers and illegals..

Reactions: Eclectic
And this is their problem...if you want something to make Home Depot or Costco runs or do occasional towing, the Model X is a much better choice (and a traditional SUV or pickup is likely even better). I know a lot of ranchers and not a one would put up with a work vehicle that took 12 hours to "refuel" between uses and had such limited range.

If the market is those people who buy Mercedes G Wagens or Land Rovers for urban use, I guess this will appeal to the niche within that niche that wants an EV. That's a pretty dang limited market, though.
Can you put a 4x8 sheet of plywood or 12' 2x4s in a Model X?

Like Electric said, that's built for some tiny island and NOT the western United States, Arizona probably has more miles dirt road than paved roads in one of the New England states.. I go out with a full tank of gas and bring an additional 5 gallons just to get back to the station. Heck just one of the Roads in Organ Pipe NP is a 45 mile loop of 4x4 high clearance vehicle road dotted with smugglers and illegals..

I'm with you, I need about ~480 miles of range. I can't tow with less than that due to the 50% reduction when towlng and the reduction when driving to prevent being re-ended (usually 80 MPH)...

Once I add my rooftop tent, frig, gun rack, ammo, spare tire, etc it will kill the range. I think the 200kWh battery would be ideal in this platform.

I'm with you, I need about ~480 miles of range. I can't tow with less than that due to the 50% reduction when towlng and the reduction when driving to prevent being re-ended (usually 80 MPH)...

Once I add my rooftop tent, frig, gun rack, ammo, spare tire, etc it will kill the range. I think the 200kWh battery would be ideal in this platform.
Clearly, this truck is not for you. (I'm always amazed whenever anyone announces a new EV, we get lots of people who come up with unusual requirements for range, size, etc. to prove why it would never work. I get it, you're special and this won't meet your requirements. Other people have more mundane requirements and this might work for them. Judging from your requirement list, I doubt anything would work for you. Unfortunately, you'll be stuck paying for fossil fuel for a long time.)

Reactions: domenick
I think I said 19 gallon, that isn't special.

Twin 50's are usually on Suburbans etc.. I don't have those.

I want this truck to work and replace my FJ, but "This is not your truck. It's not designed for you" knows my use case better than me.

I have 5 cars, so I am doing that now, right tool, right job, the FJ is the weekend toy, the P85+ is my daily driver. I am trying to go all electric, I replaced my motorcycle with a Zero, wife's car replaced with 90D, son is driving my Miata, daughter has Ford Hybrid, etc.. etc. Even looked at replacing my zero turn-mower with a Mean Green mower

I like the design of the Bollinger, but it has to have real range, with a 200kWh battery it would, with a 100 kWh, its utility is limited to towing 747's around the airfield at your local airport, or short range hops to work in a metro area.

The last thing the electric market needs is another story like this one, especially the real truck/SUV market. I can see the Jeep/offroad crowd already making comments about the short range in other blogs. Bollinger needs to SMOKE the range of the standard SUV/Truck and people line up for this truck. They could put a 200 kWh battery in and then software limit it like Tesla and people could upgrade later.

This market is massive and needs a tool that is more swiss army knife and less cute utility vehicle like the X. Many is this market buy for their business and write of the investment in a tool that can generate revenue for them.

Others like me are weekend warriors and have toys, outdoor activities, that require a off-road vehicle for hunting, fishing, basically anything outside with "ing" in it and for utility jobs (mulching, lawnmower needs to be serviced, firewood pickup, etc..)

The last group I call the "Poser" group, the only ING groups they belong too is the driving group, but just use it as a daily driver, when a Minivan would meet their needs to get to the local mall.

I hope Bollinger succeeds, and I hope Tesla collaborates with them standardize the electrical infrastructure needed to support their future products.

Is that the daily driver? If not then have two cars for two jobs? If a Tesla fits one of those roles then great, if not then an EV that does will be along shortly :)

Exactly, Love me jeep for weekend desert trips and recently to Baja camping on remote beaches, eating fresh caught fish tacos and drinking Cervesas. Love my P85 when I'm not in the jeep.. There is no 1 vehicle that will do everything and also a good reason to have many motorcycles,
Jeep Baja.jpg
each one has its specialized purpose..

Love your setup! Mine is similar. We camp on the beach here in Virginia/MD too - just need an OSV license, I bring the Zero FX to do store runs once I get my two rooftops open for the night. Once I setup the 270 degree Foxwing awning, we dont move the truck much - I need to move the FW to the trailer, but I am still working on the specialized brackets... Damn I even have the same lights - LED's from Costco that will run all night off the dual battery setup, I even have a electric tent heater on the rooftop so I can take it hunting in the winter.

My kids call it dad's adventure treehouse. My son almost 16 is begging to take it from me. He has been in so many adventures over the years, I think we calculated over 200 nights spent sleeping on in the rooftop since I bought it in 2008, best investment I ever made. Been to concerts, hunting, camping, fishing, beaching, offroading, etc... endless uses for this setup. I even have a tankless shower and gas cooktop that's aways ready in the trailer. I just added a dirtbike carrier and Pelican 10 day ice chest. I can also carrier two Kayaks or canoes with another carrier that I mount above the tent on the trailer.

The FJ also has a truckvault gun storage system for our AR's. I can get all four of them in there with stocks collapsed.

I also added a 4 can jerry can carrier on the back, cause this truck is thirsty and has an anemic tank. I plan on adding two LRA's to quadruple my range and integrate them with my existing Bud Built 1/4 inch stainless steel skid plates.

After adding all this weight, I supercharged the FJ with TRD kit and stainless high-flow exhaust. About the only thing I have left to add is the snorkel, which is really just for fresh cool air that is dust free when you are following someone else off-road.