Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bollinger truck prototype goes off-road, videos may cause seizures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Xenoilphobe That is a nice setup, I don't have any kids so we don't need a trailer and get get into tighter places. I'm a photographer and in engineering so always on the run somewhere. I too have a dual battery and thought about getting a 600 solar rooftop for those longer trips but I typically move every few days. An ARB with a slide out and stove and its typically warm enough to skip the hot water setup as solar showers do the trick. Check out MPOWERD | Luci Inflatable Solar Lights for solar lights that are pretty handy everywhere and even as emergency lights at home in case of power outages. I'm close to 200 but only had this since 2015.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
As another wrote, as currently configured the Bollinger is not appropriate for everyone, but for those who have their backcountry getaway, then leaving the B there means that's 200 or 600 miles of road-driving that would not be needed, leaving the actual 4WD-ing where it belongs.

Or...if one actually already lives in such an area......:rolleyes: Now, WHO could that possibly be?????:cool:

Reactions: Don TLR
As another wrote, as currently configured the Bollinger is not appropriate for everyone, but for those who have their backcountry getaway, then leaving the B there means that's 200 or 600 miles of road-driving that would not be needed, leaving the actual 4WD-ing where it belongs.

Or...if one actually already lives in such an area......:rolleyes: Now, WHO could that possibly be?????:cool:
Of course, the same applies to any vehicle. The Roadster, for instance, isn't very good at off-roading.
My "use case" would be to use it as winter deep snow vehicle, utility truck for runs to the dump and to haul stuff for home improvement. Also occasional off-road use (lots of local dirt roads here plus the famous Rubicon trail is only 12 miles from my house so I could do it easily on one charge). For camping, I tend to go minimalist (like the B1) with only a tent (on the ground) and not a trailer with tent platform, kitchen sink, etc.
I see that some people here tend to go full out expedition with extra fuel tanks, generators, lots of creature comfort stuff, etc. Not my style but if you're going to pack all that stuff, a few solar panels instead of fuel tanks could keep the battery topped up... or just mount them on the roof. Or... if you're going to pack a trailer and extra fuel tanks, just add a generator for extra range.

I have a backcountry 170 acre getaway 250 miles away from me. It’s my get out of DC safe location with fresh water, a cabin, solar and some animals to feed me (chickens, pigs and cows). This truck as configured would not make it on a single charge. If towing it might take three charges or a full day to travel 250 miles. I’m trying to understand the use case for a very short range suv. No way I am leaving a $100k truck parked on a non secure property for an extended period of time.

I know Ted Turner no, I don't
Ted Turner is a friend of mine. no, he's not
And you, sir, are no Ted Turner! this one is true, and reflective of the point I had been trying to make.....

I have a backcountry 170 acre getaway 250 miles away from me. It’s my get out of DC safe location with fresh water, a cabin, solar and some animals to feed me (chickens, pigs and cows). This truck as configured would not make it on a single charge. If towing it might take three charges or a full day to travel 250 miles. I’m trying to understand the use case for a very short range suv. No way I am leaving a $100k truck parked on a non secure property for an extended period of time.
I have heard a lot of creative rationalizations for why an EV wouldn't work but fleeing a zombie apocalypse in Washington DC is probably the most interesting.
Leaving aside the question of why anyone would make a decision on anything based on an event of very low probability, let's explore the logic of this decision.
So, you and 10 million other people are fleeing DC. Traffic will probably be bad and everyone will be running low on fuel. Would you rather be fighting zombies at a gas station (assuming there is gas) or finding an electrical outlet? (If there's no electricity, there's no gas, either.)
So, you make it to your secure hideaway. Would you rather have an EV with a big battery and a few solar panels or an ICE dependent on a long and compromised supply chain?
I'm trying to understand the use case for an ICE vehicle during a disaster (or even as a daily driver).

My Zero Motorcycle would work just fine in heavy traffic, however any EMP would nail that too. It would be back to bicycles, spring houses, and subsistence farming.
Also the rule is not to move during a major event, because once you are out on the road, you are completely exposed and open to all forms of exploitation by those more heavily armed than you are. Unlike in the movie World War Z, where he claims movement is life, it really depends on what is happening and your ability to defend yourself.

If we think our EV's and solar panels will save us - You might want to read One Second After or this report on October 12 2017 on the North Korea Nuclear EMP Attack: An Existential Threat.

Either way I still want a long range Bollinger Truck - I think its cool!

Man, this thread is in need of an update.

Here's the latest: the B1 gets a nose job. Here's what the nose will look like. Video below, with more at the embedded link.

Bollinger B1 facelift.jpg

They tried to reduce drag by putting honeycomb around the lights and a wind outlet on the top of the fender.
I think this will collect a bunch of ice, snow, leaves, etc.
Much better if they just eliminated the squared off fenders and made them slope up from the bumper to the windshield.
The problem with snow:
IMG_20160105_095911 (1).jpg

About as Aerodynamic as a Brick,, coming from a Brick owner..
At least you have tapered "aerodynamic" fenders.

That would be great! Elon has said he is open to others but nobody has asked until now.
Would make it much more useful.

Renovo(wanted to make electric Shelby Cobras) and a startup ev motorcycle company(forget name) asked.

Their business plans depended on access to Supercharger Network.

Neither had inquiries returned.

Tesla should offer Bollinger access to establish the principle that SC network is not a walled off garden.

It was a sad day when Land Rover ended production of the Defender back in 2016. The favoured vehicle of British farmers, I doubt that they're going to switch to the new "I wish I was a surf Jeep" replacement prototype, the L663. I simply can't imagine that in a farmyard with haybales in the back and cowsugar all up the doors. Which is why they're all switching to Isuzu pickups.

Now farmers are all about cost management, and some of the farms round here look like SolarCity with the amount of panels covering the ample square footage prevalent on agricultural building's rooves.

[As an aside many farmers are actually okay with self-driving vehicles because their tractors already drive themselves (off-road of course): so rather than being backwards, they're very comfortable with future technology.]

So would they consider a replacement vehicle that they could plug in at night for nothing, and would not only replace their mudplugger LR Defender but even looks like one? I think they would.

NB: Manchester to London is 200 miles. I've never known a farmer drive a Defender that far to market. The range is a non-issue over here.

Renovo(wanted to make electric Shelby Cobras) and a startup ev motorcycle company(forget name) asked.

Their business plans depended on access to Supercharger Network.

Neither had inquiries returned.

Tesla should offer Bollinger access to establish the principle that SC network is not a walled off garden.
I can see that Shelby Cobra might be perceived as a competitor but I don't understand why motorcycles would even need or use a Supercharger.
I don't think the B1 would compete with Elon's plans but he has lots of plans we don't know about.
Anyway, if Tesla is going to share Superchargers, it shouldn't be done to reduce competition.