Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Bollinger Turns the Renderings Into Reality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bollinger, which has been hyping a “sport-utility truck” concept for about four years, held a “reveal” Thursday to give a better look at what to expect when the trucks go to production.

There wasn’t much news at the event. Chief Executive Robert Bollinger said it himself.

“It’s not a surprise what we’re revealing,” he said. “We’ve had the renderings for it on our website for a while and the specs and all that kind of stuff. But tonight is a celebration that we actually built them. They actually work. They’re amazing. I’ve cried a few times at how amazing they came out. So, wait until they come out and we’ll cry again.”

Screen-Shot-2019-09-27-at-11.10.39-AM-1024x394.png

The wait until they come out is looking like it will be 2021. Unfortunately, the biggest question – how much? – wasn’t answered on Thursday. Pricing details are expected come in a few months.

Bollinger is not aiming for the traditional SUV customer. These trucks are utilitarian and lack some of the safety features found on more modern vehicles. But, the intent is to build a reliable, capable, all-electric truck. It seems Bollinger has built at least three of them. 

Check out the specs below.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-27-at-10.37.50-AM-1024x609.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are these tall/militaristic/macho/non-aerodynamic (negative impact on energy usage) designs so popular? Seems that they could cause serious/deadly problems for regular sedans in a crash.

Why are these tall/militaristic/macho/non-aerodynamic (negative impact on energy usage) designs so popular? Seems that they could cause serious/deadly problems for regular sedans in a crash.

Agreed! 600+ horsepower and a top speed of 100?? They should be embarrassed--that's their terrible aerodynamics biting them right in the arse. A totally self-inflicted bite.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have to say as a fan of the Defender and G-Wagon this is pretty fun.....

But then I have to grow up and realize that things like range are important and that means aerodynamics.

But then I have to say that's pretty neat for a lot of different things that I cannot do in my Model X.... would love to carry more stuff. Then again, as I get older I need less stuff, I live in two cities and have my homes set so that I can just carry one bin of my important stuff and the puppies and we take off and go. I also can just pay someone to move things between places.

I just wish that the Model X would handle more of the roads in Arizona - the Model X can handle a LOT, but there was an issue when I was in Sedona and turned onto a dirt residential road many cars take but there was a rock 'ledge' I had to make a u-turn for... when I backed up the suspension went from "Very High" to "Very Low" automatically and the car totally bottomed out and there was some damage underneath.... they knew of the issue when I called (going into reverse when you're suspension is on 'always lower" did change the setting and the car lowered, hitting the rock ledge).

This should be a fun vehicle and make those people who want a vehicle that says "grrrrrrrrr! I'm a butch bear of a man" really happy... even when they get out of their car and they're all dolled up in their $1200 adidas streetwear sneakers and $6000 gucci workout suit. Not talking about myself, I swear! ;-)

It will be glorious.

1k first 12 months of production.

Up to 10k/year afterward.

Will be 100% electric. Can be run on zero emission generated electricity. Eventually will run on zero emission electricity.

All the bloviating about how it is not a Model X or how it is not a Tesla is bovine feces.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Was originally designed for farmers & ranchers.
Small, niche market, so it was also designed for very simple assembly - hence flat panels (no 100 ton stamping machines needed).
Off-Road use only?? Even considered being handmade.
Then he had to move to Detroit to find auto engineers. And then the idea of a factory in Detroit too??
So it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Let the competition begin. You have choices.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTSN
This is clearly going to be well north of $100k. Seems like by niche they mean targeting rich people considering a merc G class. Have a hard time imagining farmers and contractors lining up for this.

I used to own an '81 Toyota Landcruiser. I used to describe it as having the aerodynamics of a brick. I used to feel it strain to push through the air at highway speeds. This very much reminds me of that vehicle.

I used to own an '81 Toyota Landcruiser. I used to describe it as having the aerodynamics of a brick. I used to feel it strain to push through the air at highway speeds. This very much reminds me of that vehicle.
I had a 1988 FJ62! I LOVED that truck, but you are right. Especially with any kind of headwind, at 70mph you were almost flooring it. 14 MPG didn’t help, which is what I imagine this new truck getting

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
If they could price it at $80K I think it might get some diesel crew cab truck buyers attention.
Just playing around I loaded up a new 2020 Silverado diesel 4x4 3500HD truck on the Chevy configurator and hit $78K when selecting most of the options.

Diesel levels of torque and no need to deal with stinky DEF or diesel fuel. 200 mile range out of 120 kWh though.

I predict Bolligner will be DOA. I can't see a single advantage they offer over Tesla and Rivian (or traditional brands like Jeep for that matter), and as someone who has owned and wheeled a whole bunch of built Toyota Land Cruisers and Jeeps, I don't see the appeal on the off road/vintage appeal either. It looks incredibly cheap, and the whole thing looks like it was put together with Chinese aftermarket parts instead of designed as a cohesive package. Really missed the mark big time in my book which is unfortunate.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark and Brando

I had a stock, blue '81 FJ40 Land Cruiser also, with its original straight-6 engine and, like, a ton of factory pollution control tubes/hoses. I enjoyed having it, but it suffered from reoccurring exhaust leaks (near the exhaust manifold), poor gas mileage, and as you said, entirely non-existent aerodynamics. A "brick" it was. Unfortunately, no factory air conditioning (so hot during California, USA, Central Valley summers), but I was able to successfully install original factory power steering, so that helped a lot. IMO it should have come from the factory with a V-8, which ended up being a popular modification, (but of course that would have meant even worse gas mileage, I imagine). That same 6-cyclinder engine as used by Toyota for its fork lifts and electricity-generators.

I made a point of returning the FJ40 to factory condition--with original white spoked wheels, the right wheel hub covers, factory P/S, rear factory bumpers and center step, front bumper, Warren winch (which was a dealer option on new LCs), factory AM radio, factory manual throttle control (optional in some countries), original tool bag set, et cetera. So it was a hobby, for sure.

I did end up selling it for $10,000 more than I paid for it (used), so that was nice. But that $10,000 certainly did not cover fuel, parts, repairs, and maintenance over the period I owned it (1994-2008). Glad to have had the experience, but happy to be driving a more modern, electric car (leased Honda Clarity fuel cell), with plans for a Tesla this spring (depending on update news, if any). Can a blue Model X be my 40-year (from 1981 to 2021) time warp SUV?

***BTW, I still have a memento from the Land Cruiser--the weird black plastic covered ashtray that fit into the center console. (Turns out they were used in Toyota Celicas from that period, also.) I have the complete factor parts list (in either micro-fiche or xeroxed on paper) around somewhere, if anyone is interested.***

I've just realized that this Bollinger SUV/Truck is a TINY truck. Its dimensions are 171.5L/77.2W/72.7H vs Model Y 187L/76W/64H and CyberTruck 231.7L/79.9W/75H. So, it is somewhere between a 2-door and a 4-door Wrangler.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
I've just realized that this Bollinger SUV/Truck is a TINY truck. Its dimensions are 171.5L/77.2W/72.7H vs Model Y 187L/76W/64H and CyberTruck 231.7L/79.9W/75H. So, it is somewhere between a 2-door and a 4-door Wrangler.

Points to the obvious need to see and test drive a vehicle before purchase. Based on only photographs I remember originally thinking the the Chrysler PT Cruiser was a neat retro copy of the old 1930s sedans. Then when I saw one it was like, "My god it is tiny." (I'm 6'5".) It would certainly be worth comparing key dimensions of similar cars by:
  • Faraday Future
  • Byton
  • Lucid
  • Porche
  • Tesla
pickups and SUVs by:
  • Rivian
  • Atlis
  • Bollinger
  • Tesla
and others.

Bollinger (what I remember reading/watching interviews)
- Class 3 truck
-- no crash testing (save money/increases margins) we shall see.
-- hand built
---(no stamping presses used - flat body panels and note all other flat pieces used)
---probably all one material (Aluminium ??) to make assembly simple
-designed for ranches/farms for off-road use (mostly low speeds => aerodynamics not needed

interesting to watch

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jerry33 and tps5352
Bollinger (what I remember reading/watching interviews)
- Class 3 truck
-- no crash testing (save money/increases margins) we shall see.
-- hand built
---(no stamping presses used - flat body panels and note all other flat pieces used)
---probably all one material (Aluminium ??) to make assembly simple
-designed for ranches/farms for off-road use (mostly low speeds => aerodynamics not needed

interesting to watch
This strategy worked for Land-Rover for many years.