Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone hear updates on when the bolt is really going to be available in Ontario? Anyone considering ditching Model3 for Bolt? If Bolt was available now i'd likely go for it. Looks aside it seems like a decent little car.

Another upcoming EV option for the Canadian market is the Hyundai Ionic. Range of up to 200km for the city folk and enough range for driving to a CHAdeMO station. Not quite the advertised Bolt range of 200 miles or 320km, but the Ioniq has more space and functionality than the Bolt. Bjorn just did a review on the Ioniq and he points out that it is a good value for what you get.

If you need an CUV or SUV, Hyundai Canada is offering a hydrogen fuel cell Tucson for lease too. They advertise free Hydrogen refuelling and free servicing and even come to you to pick it up for servicing and leave you with a hybrid loaner. It is planned for lease only for now.

The more options for clean energy vehicles available, the better.

GM will only produce 20-30,000 units per year, sold almost entirely in California.

I still don't get your point. Anyone who wants a Bolt in Canada can order one now, will take delivery early 2017, and they are actually cheaper here than in the US:

The Chevy Bolt EV will be significantly cheaper in Canada, and include DC fast-charging

@mytes, a Canadian member here has one on order:

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

Just because they are a California compliance car and most will be sold in California doesn't mean we need to:

Keep up, folks.

What is there to keep up with?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Anyone hear updates on when the bolt is really going to be available in Ontario? Anyone considering ditching Model3 for Bolt? If Bolt was available now i'd likely go for it. Looks aside it seems like a decent little car.
I spoke with Nurse Chev in Whitby, ON and they told me that they are not getting in any Bolts for inventory. They will special order them, just require a $1000 deposit. If you ordered now, your car would likely be delivered in March.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Thank you Spenny.

My wifes Audi is in storage for the winter. (Its a convertible and while fully capable of winter driving, I dont want to put on the miles in the salt.) I'm currently driving our old Dodge Ram farm truck until I get my hands on another EV. Shes got the model S. March is a little late for me for this winter. Im really hoping the Model 3 is available in a year from now. 18L/100km is killing me but I dont want to buy something when the 3 is around the corner.

I spoke with Nurse Chev in Whitby, ON and they told me that they are not getting in any Bolts for inventory. They will special order them, just require a $1000 deposit. If you ordered now, your car would likely be delivered in March.

"I spoke with Nurse Chev in Whitby, ON and they told me that they are not getting in any Bolts for inventory." Sounds like a good way not to have test drives, not to know anything about the car, not to sell (m)any, and to use it as bait and switch, as Nissan often does. Sounds like a compliance car to me. But some will get them in this country, and it will be worthwhile to know whether they go on long-distance trips.

Maybe there will be high demand and even GM will take notice and do something about it (other than to try to lower the demand).

Why why why?
If you plan on travelling with it, forget it!
It will take Several hours to charge even at a high speed charger.
It will not be a good car for road trips. The other automakers purposely omit to tell you this.
Wait for the Tesla Model 3 next year! You'll be happy you waited.

To be honest I really think that the car that could really make a dent in gasoline use could be the Chevy Volt. It will be much more affordable for a lower income family than the Model III, has no range anxiety, and since 80% of driving is commuting or local driving it would vastly decrease use of gasoline if it were sold in large numbers. We have both a Model S and a new Volt so have actual experience with both.

The logical progression of ev buyers looks to me like this:
1) high end buyers ... Models S and X
2) the buyers able to afford $50 to $60,000 ... the Model III (still really rich for most people)
3) the affordable car that will run most days on electric but be suitable in a single car family as well for long range driving, and be affordable for a bigger slice of the population .... Chevy Volt
4) Second cars for strictly city driving provided one has another vehicle for long distance driving .... Leaf, and other low range ev's

This leaves no place for the Bolt, except as a longer range version of number 4. Without fast charging like Teslas, there is really no place for the Bolt, or the BMW i3, etc except as second cars.

Reactions: Saghost and mrElbe
To be honest I really think that the car that could really make a dent in gasoline use could be the Chevy Volt. It will be much more affordable for a lower income family than the Model III, has no range anxiety, and since 80% of driving is commuting or local driving it would vastly decrease use of gasoline if it were sold in large numbers. We have both a Model S and a new Volt so have actual experience with both.

The logical progression of ev buyers looks to me like this:
1) high end buyers ... Models S and X
2) the buyers able to afford $50 to $60,000 ... the Model III (still really rich for most people)
3) the affordable car that will run most days on electric but be suitable in a single car family as well for long range driving, and be affordable for a bigger slice of the population .... Chevy Volt
4) Second cars for strictly city driving provided one has another vehicle for long distance driving .... Leaf, and other low range ev's

This leaves no place for the Bolt, except as a longer range version of number 4. Without fast charging like Teslas, there is really no place for the Bolt, or the BMW i3, etc except as second cars.
Good list except a #4 shopper will easily see that for not much more $ they can get a Bolt which has double the range of the low range EVs. Not sure why anyone would buy a new Leaf, i3 or Soul EV right now when you can get the Bolt.