Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt bests Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this article, a Bolt crashed inside a garage while the owner was 40 miles away. I believe this is a clear "win" for the Bolt as this is a level of autonomy no production Tesla has achieved so far. Every crash blamed on Teslas moving unintentionally has required a human in the car or, at least, within key fob summon range.
Chevy Bolt EV owner claims his new car crashed on its own into his garage without anyone in it

Joking aside, I'm not sure I buy the story. I'm guessing there's more to this than is being revealed. I find it very hard to believe that a parked vehicle would suddenly start moving and then feign innocence by putting itself back in park.

I'd go as far as saying the car was running a diagnostic and there wasn't a proper safety layer between the diagnostic and actuation of the drive system. Unless there is some other information being withheld I'd think this is the only way the car could have moved on it's own.

Diagnostics of the drive system are common for a resting EV in that the embedded software does a check of various systems and subsystems by powering them up and runs commands which should NOT actuate (read "must" not) with proper safety checks in place.

However, if the system is powered up and say the drive inverter was tested and it actually sent power to the drive system and overrode PRND (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive) setting, maybe due to an untested, validated or even non-deterministic message that wasn't handled correctly, then it could have moved itself.

Or I could be totally wrong...

I'd go as far as saying the car was running a diagnostic and there wasn't a proper safety layer between the diagnostic and actuation of the drive system. Unless there is some other information being withheld I'd think this is the only way the car could have moved on it's own.

Diagnostics of the drive system are common for a resting EV in that the embedded software does a check of various systems and subsystems by powering them up and runs commands which should NOT actuate (read "must" not) with proper safety checks in place.

However, if the system is powered up and say the drive inverter was tested and it actually sent power to the drive system and overrode PRND (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive) setting, maybe due to an untested, validated or even non-deterministic message that wasn't handled correctly, then it could have moved itself.

Or I could be totally wrong...

I'm guessing it's either something along those lines or the guy/his wife accidentally crashed the car and tried to see if they could get GM to cover it.

Let's see: car starts itself up, takes itself out of Park, rolls itself into the workbench, puts itself back into Park, and shuts itself down. Maybe the owner knocked a newspaper boy off his bicycle before he left on his trip? :)

My first impression was 'Ferris Bueller's day off scene where the car is on blocks in reverse, trying to rewind the extra mileage on it.