Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV: 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's not forget the human lives lost to GM... I'd greatly prefer them to just vanish. I even have a 2009 Tahoe and loathe the thing.

How can you not say 'bad' things about the Bolt? It's the puppy from that movie right? The super hero dog that finds out he's... not super... yep. that's the Bolt.

It's fugly, has no charge locations, is about as advanced as my lawn mower, and is the pinacle of every forced compliance car I've ever seen. Only the Leaf is a bigger joke with it's awful lines and obese rear-end.

Park a 3 and a Bolt side by side. We will see which one collects dust.

I think some of you are thinking of Hot Rod magazine. Motor Trend is for the china teacup with pinky raised crowd. GO BMW!!! HURRAH, HURRAH HONDA!!

It's comedy to think Motor Trend is a GM fan. Yes, they started to acknowledge that Americans make cars too, but that doesn't make them fans by any stretch of the imagination. An American car must be vastly superior to the import choices to get the nod from MT. And of the American brands, GM is on their syit list.

The most significant comment from that article is that an EV is an ICE beater in the middle level price arena. Not because it Saves Teh Whales, but because it's a superior driving experience.

Somebody had posted that a Bolt EV will never be considered a Hot Hatch. I suggest a nice Riesling to wash down your crow with.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and KJD
Let's not forget the human lives lost to GM... I'd greatly prefer them to just vanish. I even have a 2009 Tahoe and loathe the thing.

How can you not say 'bad' things about the Bolt? It's the puppy from that movie right? The super hero dog that finds out he's... not super... yep. that's the Bolt.

It's fugly, has no charge locations, is about as advanced as my lawn mower, and is the pinacle of every forced compliance car I've ever seen. Only the Leaf is a bigger joke with it's awful lines and obese rear-end.

Park a 3 and a Bolt side by side. We will see which one collects dust.

Hilarious.

Motor Trend took a couple of Bolts to the Tesla Design Center and parked them out front....why didn't someone bring out a Model 3? OH WAIT, they don't exist yet! Snap!

Only 3 that was publicly accessible seemed to have been that hollow shell parked outside the Gigafactory with the melting, droopy side mirrors. LOL

Green Car Journal is going to announce the Green Car of the Year 2017 in a couple of days. That'll be another award the Bolt snags that GM "bought". Lol

1479180667092-750x500.jpg

Last edited:
Insult? I'm telling the truth. No matter how many awards Bolt EV gets, there are certain TMC members who find nothing but bad things to say about the Bolt EV and the GM.
Just look at the 2nd and 3rd post.

And this thread is not any better: Chevy Bolt EV wins Green Car Reports' Best Car To Buy 2017 award

As I alluded to, not being able accept constructive criticism is a hallmark of fanboyism. The Bolt named "best car to buy" before it's available, and in light of the expected production numbers, is pretty absurd. The assertion that it will compete with the M3 is likewise absurd.

The Bolt is going to be a fine vehicle, and I laud GM for building it. But the sensationalism around it, and fanboyism, is over-the-top. Of course, this opinion makes me a Tesla fanboy according to GM fanboys.

This has been rehashed over so many times, but is worth repeating since the Bolt has now gotten a major award...

The Bolt is a solution in search of a problem. There are two things that are keeping EV's from getting over 1% of the total new vehicle market. Those two things are: 1) lack of range, 2) lack of long distance fast charging network.

You can lease or buy any number of EV's right now that have ~100 mile range. Studies have shown that a very large % of the population has a commute that is shorter than 100 miles round trip. There are people who need more than 100 miles for a commute, but thats a small % of the overall market.

Still, your 100 mile Fiat, Kia Soul EV, or 200 mile Bolt cannot (easily) be taken on a road trip of more than 250 miles. Can you do it? Sure, just pray that the single DCFC that you absuletely positively need to stop at on your route for 40 minutes isn't being used or that the other 6 Bolts aren't waiting to use it when you get there. So basically, the number of buyers who will not buy the Bolt due to lack of long distance capability vastly outnumbers the number who will buy it because they need between 100-200 miles for commuting.

Until GM starts building the nationwide Supercharger network like Tesla did, the Bolt remains a niche product, because most people will not be buying a car that can't do long distance travel.

I applaud GM for doing something versus nothing, but time will show the above to be true. And time will tell how good of a car the Bolt actually is.

RT

And we all know how THAT worked out. :D

Does Apple still make a computer worth owning? Pretty sure they just make decorative oversized tablets with keyboards and a mouse. Heck, can they even track your eyes yet, or deal with 64 or more cores, or have virtual reality systems yet? Heck their tablets and phones still lack USB support right? And normal USB is almost obsolete now.

In any case, Jobs never understood that Woz wasn't the only genius building personal computers. It wasn't IBM who killed him, it was the tidal wave he never saw coming.

Reactions: Eclectic

Does Apple still make a computer worth owning? Pretty sure they just make decorative oversized tablets with keyboards and a mouse. Heck, can they even track your eyes yet, or deal with 64 or more cores, or have virtual reality systems yet? Heck their tablets and phones still lack USB support right? And normal USB is almost obsolete now.

In any case, Jobs never understood that Woz wasn't the only genius building personal computers. It wasn't IBM who killed him, it was the tidal wave he never saw coming.

The point, is the recognition from the current "leader" that major entrants in to the market helps legitimize the business. "A rising tide raises all ships."

Secondarily, don't forget that IBM doesn't even MAKE a personal computer any more...

Does Apple still make a computer worth owning? Pretty sure they just make decorative oversized table

LOL. It doesn't work out too well for you:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cio....bm-says-macs-save-up-to-543-per-user.amp.html

IBM says Macs save up to $543 per user
IBM already has the world's largest enterprise Mac footprint, and it adds 1,300 new Macs every week. The company says its Apple devices save IT time and money, but the cultural changes at the 105-year-old company may be even more valuable.

Apple's Mac business alone would be a huge and profitable standalone company, even if it is relatively small compared to iPhone.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
The point, is the recognition from the current "leader" that major entrants in to the market helps legitimize the business. "A rising tide raises all ships."

Secondarily, don't forget that IBM doesn't even MAKE a personal computer any more...

"It wasn't IBM ..." yes, I was there in CP/M days, and Apple II's using a Z80 card with Microsoft Business Basic. I built and sold clones.
I used a soldering iron to overclock.

Technically it was Nissan who created the new age of EV's. Not playthings for the wealthy, but a practical family car that did not have a gas engine.

IIRC, Lenovo came from IBM:

16499-13396-gartnerq1-l.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously, we're going to do a pissing contest here?

I sincerely hope that GM sells every Bolt it can make so that it helps BEVs become a serious consideration for many more people. But they aren't a Tesla. Maybe, @bro1999 that this award will make you feel better that you are settling for a Bolt. I hope so.

Nissan screwed up so many things... it did not provide proper leadership for the EV movement. The crappy battery and range has stained the EV movement for quite some time. The crappy DCFC standard it promoted set us back significantly as it diverted precious resources. Tesla did exactly what they had to do as a small startup to make EVs with as little compromise as possible. And yes, it had to be expensive at first. A Nissan Leaf is far more expensive than the Versa it is based upon... as is the Bolt versus the Buick Encore. Take a look at the various parts of technology and infrastructure leadership and the relative capital at their disposal. Nissan, GM, and VAG did not provide the kind of leadership that Tesla has been providing.

Even today, the Bolt is a significantly compromised product. Still, it should rock out the entire bottom part of the market and cause BMW, Nissan, VW, and others to raise their game. That's a good thing. We need more people asking about J1772 installs. We need more people thinking about and buying EVs. It can't just be Tesla.