Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 238 miles, how long will it take to charge it and get back on the road?
GM has said an 80% charge takes an hour and that would be about 190 miles. Some online materials still say 160 miles in an hour (80% of 200) but I think those are now out-of-date. GM still hasn't given an update on the final charging rate so these numbers may change again.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
The highway range works out to ~ 304 Wh/mile consumption while driving.
Back in the day, I estimated the Bolt Air and Road resistances as 260 Wh/mile at 110 kph. I presume the difference is in the drivetrain and perhaps tyres
But did your 260 Wh/mile number include charging overhead? Add 12-15% charging overhead and your number is very close.

I am happy for GM, I think they have done a good job with this car and the Volt. If there was no model 3 plans than I think the Volt would kick ass this year. As for the Bolt, I think it will really put pressure on the LEAF more than anything. When people think electric car they think of a cute little pudgy car like the Bolt, LEAF or Prius. Model 3 buyers(at least myself) are going for a little more class and if I were not buying electric cars, I would be buying a BMW.

The more competition in the electric space, the better for the future of the industry and the world. The same cost reductions that will allow Tesla to make more of a profit on the model 3 at 35k, will hopefully help reduce the cost of the Bolt to $27,000 which is about what Prius's go for and Toyota sells millions of them. At 30k after the tax credit, I think GM will be successful with this vehicle. They will take some sales away from the Prius and the LEAF but hopefully they take sales away from ICE cars like the Chevy Impala(also priced at 27k).

Not sure why the media continues to compare things to Tesla or talk about Tesla killers. Tesla will sell every car it can make for at least the next 3 years without a problem and that is without a single commercial or advertisement and not being able to sell directly in most of the states. The Bolt will bring in some older people that are more comfortable with a "GM car" into the Electric world and based on every electric car I have driven, they will be very impressed and likely never go back to an ICE car. Well done GM.

That is really impressive. I wonder if Elon and company rethink the "less than 60 kWh" battery now?
Your right Im sure he is not a man of second best and there is way too much riding on the model 3 for it to be inferior to the competition. Less than the Bolt range would be simply be disappointing and im confident Elon would want to be a hero at the final presentation - good news for people who want the base model.

Your right Im sure he is not a man of second best and there is way too much riding on the model 3 for it to be inferior to the competition. Less than the Bolt range would be simply be disappointing and im confident Elon would want to be a hero at the final presentation - good news for people who want the base model.

Bolt is still $2500 more expensive (unless that changes now) and you will have to pay more for the DC charging option. As we know Tesla already has cars with much bigger range than Bolt (and more expensive). If we compare range we have to compare the price also.