Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery tech won't progress that rapidly anytime soon. Elon (and others) have mentioned that most of the legwork in battery design has been done already, and from here on out we will only get small improvements, barring any major breakthroughs.

Until someone solves the silicon anode battery expansion/contraction problem, then there will be a large jump in energy density.

The more I think about the Bolt, the more it seems an over-spec'd city car and an under-spec'd, inadequate long distance car until their DC network is much more expansive and faster. The Bolt and Model3 are both EVs, but that is about the end of it and the two cars barely cross into each other's markets. Bolt Vs LEAF will be a real fight for the leftovers that Tesla did not eat.

I would not call Bolt an over-spec'd city car. Metro areas like Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas/Ft Worth, etc. are spread out enough that even a 100mi Leaf is deficient. LAX is 42 miles from my home, so picking someone up at the airport in a Leaf would be risky, in an eGolf or BMW i3, impossible. 230+ mile combined driving range makes Bolt a practical car for any metro area.

Reactions: kablammyman
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV first drive: 240 miles in an electric car

Bolt EV used 58.7 kWh during a full range test drive by media. That's almost 98% of capacity! And they probably didn't run it ALL the way down. The Bolt pretty much uses all of its 60 kWh pack. Impressive! GM wouldn't push the battery pack that hard unless they knew it could hold up over time.

2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-road-test-california-coastline-aug-2016_100564922_m.jpg

Or they keep a hidden capacity at the bottom?

On the GM website for the Bolt the small print says ~ 9.5 hours to charge to full (presumably from empty) based on 240 V, 32 A.
That works out to over 58 kWh as

0.24*32*0.8*9.5

Either GM has more than 60 kWh nominal capacity or they are giving customers the ability to really strain the battery. Gotta try and match the Tesla without superchargers, right ?

Why do you presume from empty? No one is going to run to zero before charging. Of course, GM may display zero with 10% actual charge to prevent bricking.

And moderate speeds. GM chose a route to guarantee no one would get less than 240 miles to a charge. Let's see stop and go traffic, plus highway driving.

Clever move by GM, forcing half the trip on a low-speed roads. I recently drove my S70 with full-charge 241 rated miles, from North Lake Tahoe to the Manteca SC (226 actual miles) over SR89, 88, 49 and 120, all two-lane highways of 55 or 60 mph speed limits, arriving with 37 rated miles. Slow speeds and a 5500 foot altitude drop do wonders for mileage.

Clever move by GM, forcing half the trip on a low-speed roads. I recently drove my S70 with full-charge 241 rated miles, from North Lake Tahoe to the Manteca SC (226 actual miles) over SR89, 88, 49 and 120, all two-lane highways of 55 or 60 mph speed limits, arriving with 37 rated miles. Slow speeds and a 5500 foot altitude drop do wonders for mileage.
But to be fair, Bolt did it effectively on sea level, with a big hill in it. And on what seeems to be a 60kWh net capacity.

It surprises me that GM makes a high drag EV. Like it doesn't want to be a highway car (the low top speed seems to be a giveaway in that respect).

Now that Tesla is getting some forms of competition in long range driving, a new standard is needed for a realistic reach over the course of a reasonable road trip day. Or, the amount of time one wants to be on route. Say, time needed to travel 1000km and 1000mi for one-driver and multi-driver more or less maximum safe distances? Then it would involve charging speeds available.
Taking popular routes people drive as examples (racing at legal speeds) could be good.
I read a lot about LA-SF. I'd throw in Amsterdam-Paris and Berlin-Munich. And Berlin/Amsterdam to ski resorts in the Alps. How long do cars take to do tha tin real life, not speed? Now the Bolt will not be caught speeding as much on road trip races unless really good charging becomes available, as it will not go very far at 80mph. And short leaps call for a really dense charger network.

If metropoles are to become equipped with fast charging for Bolts, without too much risk of queues, Bolts might end up being great taxi/Uber cars. They go a long way in city traffic, costs are in check. Just needs one or 2 quick charges to get through a hard working day behind the wheel.
People mention their daily commutes. If you spend 9 days at work, imagine how much a decent charging infrastructure at work would affect the range of a short-range EV. Lots can be saved in battery production and purchase with a small investment in chargers.

My guess is that a Bolt EV has a range of about 160 miles at 80 mph based on extrapolating the range of a 30 kWh LEAF at 80 mph. By avoiding any slower ramped-down charging above 80-85% SOC and leaving 25-30 miles of reserve range you could still do around 100 mile hops between charging stations.

So 238 miles is the 2017 Bolt's range.
Who's to say the 2018 Bolt (that is the Bolt the Model 3 will be truly going "head to head" against) won't have an incremental range bump? The Gen 1 volt had 2 (3 if you count the 2015 Volt that had a 0.6 kWh increase in battery size, yet GM didn't change the EPA numbers) range bumps, in 2013 and 2015. Would not be surprised if the 2018 Bolt has a similar bump in the event the Model 3 trumps the 2017 Bolt's EPA number.

So 238 miles is the 2017 Bolt's range.
Who's to say the 2018 Bolt (that is the Bolt the Model 3 will be truly going "head to head" against) won't have an incremental range bump? The Gen 1 volt had 2 (3 if you count the 2015 Volt that had a 0.6 kWh increase in battery size, yet GM didn't change the EPA numbers) range bumps, in 2013 and 2015. Would not be surprised if the 2018 Bolt has a similar bump in the event the Model 3 trumps the 2017 Bolt's EPA number.
I don't think it particularly matters. The Model 3 will for sure have range options that reach well beyond 300 miles. It'll take a while for small annual range bumps on the Bolt to reach that.

What would be a big deal is if GM offers similar range options. I believe other than Tesla, only Nissan is doing that with the Leaf.

The Canadian price at $44395 incl. destination is lower than I expected. $37495 USD is $49500 CAD.

Depending on conversion rate at the time, the Bolt may be cheaper than the Model 3 in Canada, even at full MSRP. Conversion of $36,200 USD ($35,000 plus $1200 destination) is $47,800 CAD.

2017 Bolt EV Most Affordable Long-Range EV in Canada

In Ontario that would mean you could get it for $30,395. Not bad. The base 2wd Encore starts at $28,500.

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
"Regen on Demand (tm) Steering Wheel Paddle"
This will probably appeal to non-Tesla drivers, as it's a natural continuation of what they're used to. Foot of the "gas", you coast, if you want to slow down with regen, you use the paddles. I imagine there will be some regen on the foot lift as well, just not as much.
Bolt drivers won't know what they're missing being able to do a one foot driving. It certainly caught me by surprise the first two minutes of driving a Tesla, but now I wouldn't give it up for anything...